• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 338 Lapua Conversion to 37XC

edlin_79

Luke
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Whidbey Island
Is this possible? There's not much information on the net about this. I believe the Savage action is 1.350 in diameter? I'd like to buy a cheaper 110 series and convert it to 37XC with a custom barrel. I did read a story on longrangehunters.com but it was so long it was hard to keep up with the author of it. The endd result looked liked a Savage action with a 37XC barrel but it was shouldered. I'd like to barrel nut it? Is this possible? Appreciate the info.

Savage is not the best action too weak , and tennon is to small but will work. Using the nut is the worst thing you could do. The xc is just over 3" long so 1" of the 3 inches is in the tennon and you want to compound the problem by installing 2 of those 3" in a 1.120 diamiter shank? If you are so poor that you cant afford a better action at least spend the money on a shouldered barrel shank that is at least 1.300 in diamiter... be wise save your money take you time purchase a good action.

Last edited:
I also think you’ll be disappointed with early pressure signs especially with a barrel nut.

The only one i would consider is the 112 single shot because of mag restrictions, and no nut.

Reactions: WAMBO
I built one on a 112 w barrel nut. If I did it again I’d go shoulder
8D2528EA-2B66-4F4E-A939-2A072E1A26D1.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I will save for a different action just was curious about the economical value. I think there is value in barreling and re-barreling old rifles without a lathe and the barrel nut allows me to do that. I haven't had any issues with the process. I repruposed an old long action 30/06 action into a 300PRC earlier this year with a barrel nut and it shoots lights out. I"m getting 2875fps with factory 225ELD's and they are shooting under an inch. I haven't had any issues with case stretch or early pressure (yet). Is that really a thing with respect to the barrel nut? Pic of the rifle sitting in an HS Precision stock with accurate mag BM.
IMG_3002 2 Large.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3082 Small.jpeg
    IMG_3082 Small.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I will save for a different action just was curious about the economical value. I think there is value in barreling and re-barreling old rifles without a lathe and the barrel nut allows me to do that. I haven't had any issues with the process. I repruposed an old long action 30/06 action into a 300PRC earlier this year with a barrel nut and it shoots lights out. I"m getting 2875fps with factory 225ELD's and they are shooting under an inch. I haven't had any issues with case stretch or early pressure (yet). Is that really a thing with respect to the barrel nut? Pic of the rifle sitting in an HS Precision stock with accurate mag BM. View attachment 7797206
I’ve ran a few 7 Saum barrels with a barrel nut.
Big difference from a .540 boltface cartridge and a .580 in standard tenons and actions, that extra 20 thou per side doesn’t sound like much but it does make a difference.

Steel on a custom action is probably considerably better than savage action as well.
A load that ran flawlessly in my Nuke showed pressure when I put that barrel in my savage.

Fwiw I did burn up that barrel on that action. Just after 1100 rounds it took a dump and es went sky high no matter what I did the vertical was huge. I couldn’t shoot monos it that barrel as I found out bore was too tight and had major pressure issues. Settled on the 350gr smk’s as I got a smoking deal on 1000ct batch. 3k was the farthest I took those as I ran out of elevation in my setup at the time.

Fwiw I did burn up that barrel on that action. Just after 1100 rounds it took a dump and es went sky high no matter what I did the vertical was huge. I couldn’t shoot monos it that barrel as I found out bore was too tight and had major pressure issues. Settled on the 350gr smk’s as I got a smoking deal on 1000ct batch. 3k was the farthest I took those as I ran out of elevation in my setup at the time.
That's still pretty bad ass for a Savage set up. I would call that a success; albeit not as good as a custom action but still better ballistics than a factory 338LM.

Steel on a custom action is probably considerably better than savage action as well.
A load that ran flawlessly in my Nuke showed pressure when I put that barrel in my savage.

This is a new concept to me. How does this work? I always thought you were limited by case yield.

Simple
Action and barrel expand but not beyond yield under pressure then shrinks back down on the case that did yield and yielded to fill expanded chamber and voila!
Sticky case.
Agreed, it’s one of the reasons savage came out with the large shank for the rum style cartridges, lapua and bigger cases created a whole different set of circumstances.

Last edited:
So a sticky bolt is a more likely pressure sign on magnum calibers? Explains why I don't see it in my load development.

The idea behind a economical action and barrel when you're asking about 37XC seems kinda backwards to me. Dies are $355 and buying bullets in large lots will cost more than your barreled action..

Reactions: Gohring65
I think guys like to try different shit. Every time I have a idea in my head, I always try to make it happen with existing components. Sometimes it’s doable and then sometime people with more knowledge than me on the subject offer humbling advice. It shows it can be done, but there’s going to be limitations with the platform.

Reactions: Geno C.
Because he wanted to know if he could get away with $1000 completed rifle + a chamber job instead of paying $1500+ for just an action. Maybe put the saved money into dies abs components. BTDT

True, but when you're spending $4+/round sent downrange (at today's prices), the difference between using that Savage action and something like a BAT is only somewhere around 400+ shots. AND that doesn't count that you get to keep the Savage, shooting what it's doing now, or sell it to make up a healthy amount of the difference - maybe it's like the equivalent of 250 rounds.

250 rounds to trade a Savage for a BAT? I'll take it!

I think, if I was just going to shoot it once or twice a year as a novelty, I’d probably put together a savy 112. If your going to compete and tool it up with a 500$ bipod, 1500$ stock 4K$ scope, then I’d definitely go custom build.
It all depends on use for me.

Reactions: edlin_79
I appreciate all of the information. I actually did see a 112Magnum action on GB for a decent price that I was thinking about. There is also a PTG B-52 for sale here on the Hide that's chambered in 338LM that's got a decent price tag on it. I can't seem to find any info on action dimensions on that one. When I retire, I'm going to put some time into machine work and learn to spin my own stuff. I'm not poor but I try to be a little frugal with my money; too many hobbies and not enough time.

Agreed, one of the reasons savage came out with the large shank for the rum style cartridges, lapua and bigger cases created a whole different set of circumstances.
Yea, for a magnum boltface cartridge Rum’s are pretty thick with a slight rebated rim.
So a sticky bolt is a more likely pressure sign on magnum calibers? Explains why I don't see it in my load development.

The idea behind a economical action and barrel when you're asking about 37XC seems kinda backwards to me. Dies are $355 and buying bullets in large lots will cost more than your barreled action..
Not really
It’s mostly a pressure/force thing.
It’s just with common rem/savage action diameter, barrel shank and tenons there’s less material around the wider bodied cartridges so less pressure is needed to expand the action.

Reactions: Gohring65
I appreciate all of the information. I actually did see a 112Magnum action on GB for a decent price that I was thinking about. There is also a PTG B-52 for sale here on the Hide that's chambered in 338LM that's got a decent price tag on it. I can't seem to find any info on action dimensions on that one. When I retire, I'm going to put some time into machine work and learn to spin my own stuff. I'm not poor but I try to be a little frugal with my money; too many hobbies and not enough time.
There is a good deal on a 375 Cheytac in the px right now too. @Jimmy D in AK I think

Reactions: edlin_79
Cutting your own barrels is quite rewarding.

I just came across this thread and I am looking for a bit of clarification.

I built what I call a poor man's Cheytac a year back or so. I got an excellent price on a Savage 110 .338 LM and had it re-barreled in to a .338-378 and shoulder the barrel (no nut). When building it, my primary concern was lug failure. I was concerned that the bolt and action could not withstand the pressure of the larger cartridge. After some phone calls to smarter people, it was evident that the pressures were only about 4k PSI more than the Lapua.

So my question is, could I have built this rifle into a 37XC? And when does lug failure become a concern?

CM

I just came across this thread and I am looking for a bit of clarification.

I built what I call a poor man's Cheytac a year back or so. I got an excellent price on a Savage 110 .338 LM and had it re-barreled in to a .338-378 and shoulder the barrel (no nut). When building it, my primary concern was lug failure. I was concerned that the bolt and action could not withstand the pressure of the larger cartridge. After some phone calls to smarter people, it was evident that the pressures were only about 4k PSI more than the Lapua.

So my question is, could I have built this rifle into a 37XC? And when does lug failure become a concern?

CM
Lug failure is the least of your concerns since less than 20% of the overall chamber pressures even go into the Lugs. Primary consern is tennon and shank o.d. The 37xc would have been a better option. Better quality brass as the 378 brass quality is very poor . And cant handle the higher pressures. Please note that pressure is what you make it o r should i say what you load it to be. Never the less a savage action is not really you best option for eather cartridge as its a poor quality weak designed action

Last edited: