• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 338 LM brake

shooter1054

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
Indianapolis
I've got a Savage 110 in 338LM. I was shooting today with a buddy that has the same rifle in 300WM. He had his threaded and a YHM brake installed. It was a world of difference. Got me thinking about replacing the factory brake that came on my 338. I can get a similar YHM but the only one is a QD version. Not opposed to a QD as I might look at getting a can one day. Any other brakes I should look at? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of cash on it. I'm not a competitive shooter or anything so I don't need to get the biggest and baddest and newest. Just a good solid workhorse. Get the job done without all the fanfare.

Take your factory .338 brake off and shoot it. THAT'S a world of difference. The savage factory brake is very well thought out, there are better brakes but they will cost. It's hard to compare the .300s 3700ft-lbs of muzzle energy to the .338s 5200 ft-lbs.

If recoil is a factor, fill the buttstock with lead shot (it improves the balance sitting/kneeling significantly and tames recoil a bit) and consider a softer recoil pad like a pachmayr or limbsaver.

I have the 110 hs precision .338 lapua, did those above mods, and my 10 y/o brother can shoot it now, pain free.

I put a Thunder Beast suppressor on my 110 HS precision 338 lapua to tame the recoil. Very effective.

Take your factory .338 brake off and shoot it. THAT'S a world of difference. The savage factory brake is very well thought out, there are better brakes but they will cost. It's hard to compare the .300s 3700ft-lbs of muzzle energy to the .338s 5200 ft-lbs.

If recoil is a factor, fill the buttstock with lead shot (it improves the balance sitting/kneeling significantly and tames recoil a bit) and consider a softer recoil pad like a pachmayr or limbsaver.

I have the 110 hs precision .338 lapua, did those above mods, and my 10 y/o brother can shoot it now, pain free.

Mine is the same rifle. I'm not worried about the recoil. It doesn't bother me at all. I can shoot well over 100 rounds and not be sore or even tender. It main reason I was looking at a change, was that Dave's rifle with the YHM had little to no jump off the bench with the brake and much more jump with out it. My 338 has quite a bit of jump and I was thinking a different design might help this somewhat minor issue. Secondary reason might be that I might just want to change things up a little and this seemed like an inexpensive way to go. Also the QD option got me thinking for when I get around to a can.

Also the QD option got me thinking for when I get around to a can.

Not sure I would use a QD mount on a rifle chambered in 338 Lapua. I have the Thunderbeast muzzle break adapter on my Savage. I think it works about as good for reducing recoil but I think it also reduced some of the hop. Could also just be better positioning behind the rifle as I have shot it more. Also nice thing about the TB break is I have noticed no POI shift when I have taken the suppressor off then on again.