• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage, 6br, and aics...it even feeds

6brshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2012
    Illinois
    I have been playing around alittle with a 4.4 savage action eating 6br from an ai mag. I had a HS stock and cdi bottom metal laying around so if it failed or wasn't the most reliable I wasn't out much. Also had a factory savage dbm that feeds 6br great so if I needed to back up a step I wasn't left with a repeater that needed to be fed single shot.

The action face was trued up, and a NSS lug was used. I know that this lug is compatible with AICS stocks, SSS lugs are too tall and bottom out in the stock recess. Also used a new NSS trued barrel nut. These are new precision machined, not just a trued up savage barrel nut. My buddy that trued the receiver face also double pinned the lug.

The barrel is a 26" criterion varmint contour 6br 1-8 twist. Headspaced .001" over a go gage off of the PTG bolt head. The new PTG bolt heads are real nice. Excellent machine work, and about 90% contact according to layout dye.

Started by modifing a 223 ai mag, this mag feeds good but took about 20-30 minutes to do. My real complaint with it is by the time the feed lips are opened up enough to feed and present the br case for the bolt the lips are thinned out. Will see how they hold up to wear and tear. I think real cold weather and dropping it on the ground would result in failure. 7 rds is max.

I really wanted to modify a 308 ai mag and also be able to convert back if needed. Basically make it feed with hacking it up. I tried this on a 700 and ended up ruining a cproducts mag before it fed so-so. On this project I used a magpul enhanced follower with 2 minutes of flat and rat tail filing to make it work at the front of the mag. A 30rd ak47 mag spring was cut in half and the ends were bent to connect to the follower. A delrin spacer was made that fits in the back of the mag. It is held in place at the top by the trapezoid shape of the mag and a button head screw at the bottom of the mag tube. That was the only permanent thing done to the mag, drilling a 1/8" hole. The feed lips were perfect, length and opening, as is. I can convert back to 308/243 ai mag in about 5 minutes if need be.

The barrel is fast, 105 hybrids at 2915 fps. ES of 14 and SD of 3.42 ave over 2 10 rd strings. Shoots in the mid.1s-lo.3s, with and with out my shooting handicapping it. Now some pics
    the rifle shot today, prone off bipod and rear bean bag
    [img:left]
    IMG_20130207_122209_zps8ec5cefc.jpg
    [/img]
    IMG_20130207_122310_zps39b66276.jpg
    [/img]
    The mag, showing ar follower and ak spring
    IMG_20130112_095409_zps7d6da2f9.jpg
    [/img]
    cold, clean bore 5 shot group when I zeroed the new scope in
    IMG_20130207_170223_zpsb3fb3937.jpg
    [/img]
    Adjusted zero and shot this 5 shots, shame I pulled the 4th shot left.
    IMG_20130207_170300_zps8316ae7f.jpg
    [/img]
    Final 9 shot group, 9 is all the 308 mag will hold before the anti tilt legs bottom out
    IMG_20130207_170520_zpsc483636b.jpg
    [/img]

Trigger is a RB sav-1 and glass is bushy 6-24x50 FFP MRAD G2DMR, TPS rings and weaver 20 moa rail. What do guys think?

Re: savage, 6br, and aics...it even feeds

I am in the process of rounding up the parts and putting together a Savage much like yours since the funds for a real AI just arent in the cards. These Savage AI threads are really getting me fired up for mine. The wait is killing me!

Looks great. Got me fired up too but, oh wait, no Savage AI in 4.27 spacing. What bs is that

Yeah it sucks about the 4.25" spacing. Kinda sucks also that with the bottom bolt release starting to phase out the side release makes the aics outdated. Just a small window of actions that fit this stock, basically 04'-12'ish rifles. In a year or two the only way to find a side release action to fit the aics will be on the used rack at a gun/pawn shop.

It is a great looking rifle. Wish i could do the same but oh well. Guess ill be going XLR, which is an excellent choice as well. I have my Savage in a b&c and its a terrible stoke that keeps throwing shots. To bad cause the 6x cartridge i have mine in shoots better then me.

Have u fired a rifle with a xlr on it? I know i will catch hell for this but i just pulled a custom tikka out of a xlr. The xlr is light by chassis standards, and feels good and balanced off hand. Machine work and finish is excellent, along with real good customer support from Kyle. Now the bad, i could not get comfortable behind the stock prone. With the elevated scope and cheek piece in place the recoil pad was too low. My collarbone just barely caught the top corner . With the pad raised up all the way the bag bar was so high that none of my bean bags worked. I was using a 6-9 harris. I am average size, 5'11"& 185 lbs. The stock just did not fit me. I could go out and shoot one small group out of 4 groups. There was fliers, 1/2", that were shooter induced, but it was just from being forced to conform to the stock. Justin at krg got me a great deal on a gen2 folder stock with a gen 3 forend, for less money then this aics folder

I should mention that all my rifles have a conventional stock shape. The xlr was my first "tube forend stock". I imagine that i would have the same issue with an ai ax also. I felt cramped up on the xlr, even with lop set 1" longer then my other chassis's. Hard to describe the one single issue i had with fitment, but i and the stock didn't jive together. I did shoot it better from the bench then prone. Typically that is opposite with me, and since i shoot 90% from different position and 10% from the bench it limited that rifle alot.

Nice looking Savage that you put together & good shooting. I agree about the Criterion barrels. I'm shooting a 28" with 105 Hybrids @ 2925 with good results.

Feeling connected to your rifle is the most important part. If it didnt fit, then it didnt fit. I respect your honesty. I have a friend who says he loved it but I feel like I would be on board with you. I like to sit real low on my stock and im a small guy so I would need it even lower. Guess that doesnt leave me with much else i like

Mcree is a solid stock, have one on my lrp. It is heavy, even compared to an aics. Pdc also makes a nice chassis. Actually prefer the buttstock of the pdc over the Mcree's buttstock. The Mcree is nicer done on the forend though.

I didnt know Mcree makes Savage stocks with 4.27 spacing. Ill look into them then. Thanks

Used to, i assume he still does. PDC makes good stocks, RWS on here uses them on builds. I think there is a pic thread a few pages back that is just PDC stocks. They were the only game in town for awhile that made a chassis for savage that used an ai mag.

I have a PDC on my Savage very nice stocks. I have a Criterion Dasher barrel on the way soon and am thinking I might try something similar to this minus the AICS. I'm thinking the Dasher might make feeding much more difficult though.

Shouldn't be too much different , little sharper shoulder. Just make sure the case head clears the feedlips as the shoulder starts to go up the feedramp.