• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 6mm BR Norma

songdog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Northwest
I just ordered a Savage model 12 benchrest rifle in 6mm BR Norma. It has a 1 in 8 twist. I don't handload yet and am getting ready to order some Lapua factory loads. I see they come in 90gr and 105gr loads. Which would be best for beginning longrange competition. The range I will be shooting at has a max of 650 yards. Also what power range scope should I look at for this distance.

Re: Savage 6mm BR Norma

The 105's and up should like that 1:8. Once you start handloading you can step up to 115's. Of course, I would have to try some Berger 95's, for kick's.

The 105's would be better for long range use.They don't blow in the wind as much.The 115's typically require a 7 twist especially at the velocities a 6br would produce.

Steve

Only your rifle can answer that. I would buy a couple boxes of each and see what shoots the best. After you determine this, then buy in bulk or reload with what ever bullet you find that your rifle shoots the best. The 105 will have a higher BC but the 95 is no slouch!! Both are excellent out to 600 yards. Lee

Thanks for the info. I ordered 2 boxes of each load. Once I get the rifle and get it scoped I'll let you know how it does.