• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage action strength.

mexicanmatch

dallasa1
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2008
lanexa,va
Would it be dangerous to take a Savage l/a and make a 338 Lapua? I have yet to see the Savage in 338 Lapua and do not know if that action is beefed up of a standard action. Thanks in advance. MM

Re: Savage action strength.

The .338LM runs maximum pressure 420.00 MPa (60,916 psi) while the .300WM runs maximum pressure 64,000 psi (440 MPa). The Savage actions handle the pressure of the WinMag just fine. You may want to measure the ejection port of a long action and make sure you won't have to single feed the Lapua before you buy one. Also you will want to make sure the outside diameter of the Savage .585" bolt face will fit the inside diameter of the Savage long action. If it were me I would just go ahead and buy a 110FCP-HS already chambered in 338LM, it is a solid top action (think giant LRP action) and much more rigid than the open top LA's and it comes with a decent stock and DBM kit for the money.

Re: Savage action strength.

Can't speak for a 338LM...but many folks have built a 338 Edge on a standard/small shank Savage long action. I do think some finagling is required to turn it into a repeater, however.