• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAVAGE ACTIONS and barrel changing

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Ok...so I have never really looked at Savage rifles very much but the other day at the range a gent had a Savage model 10 he was shooting. As I did my thing I happened to look over where he was setup and he had the action out of the stock and in a vise and was changing barrels.

Ok...I was wondering what was up and walked down there to ask him about it.
Very nice gent...he told me he had a bunch of different barrels for the action and was trying out a new PacNor barrel he just received. He had the barrel swapped out and the whole rifle put back together in very short order.

I was at that point very interested in his "switch barrel" rifle. And the thing shot very well too! LOL

He had the McMillan stock he said came with the rifle...again...was impressed with the rifle's overall fit and feel.
Must say that smoothness of the action was far from my Tikka, but I guess I am spoiled.

So does anyone here have multi barrels for their Savage? Any input would be great.

I am thinking of selling my TRG-22 and now think I might roll the funds from it into a <gasp> Savage setup with a couple different barrels.

Take care,Stan

Re: SAVAGE ACTIONS and barrel changing

I've got a couple now and changing barrels is pretty easy with the correct head space gauge. Some use full sized brass but they are a little spongy compared to a well tooled steel go-gage. Just get the wrench and a barrel or action vice and that's it really. I've changed the barrel on my 10fp several times. I've gotten a few of my barrels used on the savage forums for next to nothing. 243 sporter barrel was $40 shipped and shoots just under 1" at 100yds with handloads. I've got a 7mm-08 factory barrel on the way that supposedly won't shoot well for $30 shipped. I'm going to use that one to try re-crowning myself on a lathe. If I screw it up, learned a lot for $30. If it turns out well, then I got a 7mm-08 barrel for $30. I just installed my first aftermarket barrel from McGowen and so far its not bad. I think my factory 308 barrel shoots better but maybe the McGowen just needs the right load and more rounds down the barrel. Best I've gotten so far is 3/4" at 100yds. Its easy, saves money vs a gunsmith job, and satisfaction that you built your own gun.

Mike

I don't swap barrels back and forth as a regular thing, but I have changed barrels. So long as you have the proper wrench, vise, and a GO gauge, its a snap.

I just did my first one and I have to say it was almost too easy, in fact i redid it a couple of times, reading the instructions just to be sure and it still only took about 15-20 minutes.

Forester Go/No-Go gages are about $40 a set at Midway and with the .308 set you can do 243/260/7-08/308/358Win and I think 338Fed. If that doen't qualify as versatile, nothing does.

You really don't even need the "No-Go" gauge on a savage but if you want that extra piece of mind then go for it. Just tighten the barrel down against a GO gauge. The barrel will simply stop turning when it hits it. Tighten everything up and you're done. You can test your work by getting a piece of scotch tape on the back of the go gage. This will make it basically into a No-Go gage length. With the tape on the back of the gage, try to close the bolt. It should NOT close. Repeat a few times to be sure, gage with no tape = close, gage with tape = no close.

Once you make a barrel swap yourself, you'll agree with Kyshooter, it does feel too easy!

mike

how is the repeatability after changing the barrels will it return to zero or is a full resight in needed