• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage adjustable gas block problem

Hawkeyemm

Private
Minuteman
  • Apr 30, 2013
    Kansas
    I didn’t find an existing thread that dealt with this specific problem.
    So a kid at work came to me with a problem. His MSR15 in Valkyrie was blowing primers. I was unfamiliar with the MSRs so I asked if it had an adjustable gb. He didn’t know. So I looked at it and said “yes. It does. Here is the process for adjusting it. And here is a link to a video showing you how to do it.” Next day he tells me it made no difference if it was all the way open or closed. So I took it home. I just shot 5 rounds through it. (75 grain federal). And indeed, the bolt never failed to lock back at any level of adjustment. Although I never saw blown primers.
    So....any ideas? Faulty AGB? Call savage? Send it back?

appreciate any input

I didn’t find an existing thread that dealt with this specific problem.
    So a kid at work came to me with a problem. His MSR15 in Valkyrie was blowing primers. I was unfamiliar with the MSRs so I asked if it had an adjustable gb. He didn’t know. So I looked at it and said “yes. It does. Here is the process for adjusting it. And here is a link to a video showing you how to do it.” Next day he tells me it made no difference if it was all the way open or closed. So I took it home. I just shot 5 rounds through it. (75 grain federal). And indeed, the bolt never failed to lock back at any level of adjustment. Although I never saw blown primers.
    So....any ideas? Faulty AGB? Call savage? Send it back?

appreciate any input

What buffer weight is he running ?...

And you text is vague, or I am dim-witted... "And indeed, the bolt never failed to lock back at any level of adjustment."

I assume you mean the BCG never locked back on a empty mag.

I'd call Savage first. They might send you a replacement Adj. GB.

Last edited:
    You are correct. I used the wrong terminology. The bolt carrier group did not lock back on an empty mag.
    The buffer and spring are factory.