• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Arms .223

kingjr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
Fl
Hi guys, newbie here, first post!
Picked up a nice Savage last Saturday primarily for punching paper out to 200yards. It is a Savage 11 in a Choate tactical stock. It has a large bolt know, cheek pad, Weaver 20moa base and Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40. I gotta say I am pretty impressed with this rig! After dialing it in at 50 took her out to 100 and first 2 shots were slightly low left but touching! Shooting out of the box PMC 55gr fmj. No bi-pod either as I had to order the special adapter for the Choate. I really loved the accutrigger as well, felt like a MUCH more expensive trigger...
cool.gif

I would like to use some real mags in this gun. What do I need for bottom metal and which mags will work?? thanks!

Re: Savage Arms .223

z71rat here makes a "Ratmag" that works with the factory DBM. Otherwise, look at getting a CDI DBM and running AICS-pattern magazines.

Your rifle should shoot 69gr FGBMM and 75gr Steel Match very well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Savages. I love mine. I own 5 of them now all with the accutrigger of some effect. After I tuned them up a little bit, I really like them too. Have fun and shoot safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat here makes a "Ratmag" that works with the factory DBM. Otherwise, look at getting a CDI DBM and running AICS-pattern magazines.

Your rifle should shoot 69gr FGBMM and 75gr Steel Match very well. </div></div>

but the ratmags are not for .223...unless z71 has been successful, but last I checked, he was not producing any mags in .223.

I also have a Savage 10 in .223. It is stupid how accurate and fun that rifle is to shoot! Try some 75gr TAP and get back to us!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but the ratmags are not for .223...unless z71 has been successful, but last I checked, he was not producing any mags in .223.</div></div>

d'oh!

You're exactly right...

Pick up metal from Accurate-mag (factory metal used on AICS compatible guns) or CDI precision.

I got my bi-pod adapter yesterday and have a box of Federal GMM and some PRVI coming tomorrow. Can't wait to get it back out there! Sounds like the aftermarket mags might be a PITA. Anyone know a good source to buy a couple OEM mags? thx

I have savage 223 and its shot everything well. Even cheap American eagle FMJ was sub-moA and easy hits out to 450 yards.

I use the hornAdy 68bthp in my reloads but it shot the 69smk and the 75bthp under 1/2" at 100 as well