• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage axis bottom metal.

Jb1289610

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2019
Hi guys. Does anybody know of a bottom metal/floorplate for the savage axis besides the cdi metal? I heard they are out of business. Before anybody says to buy another rifle, this is my first centerfire rifle, has sentimental/family value, and I’ve been working on this one for years building the baddest axis I can. and it’s a tack driver now. Only things that haven’t been converted from cheap plastic to metal is the safety switch. Which I wish I could change. And the stupid plastic on the magazine.
Money really isn’t an issue as I’ve already put a lot into it. Preferably I would like to have an internal mag or hinged floorplate. Metal to accept AICS mags would be okay also.

Does anybody know where I could possibly have these things custom made? Or any place that currently makes them?

Thanks for the reply! I’ve considered doing a chassis on this .223 axis. But it has a Boyd’s pro varmint already that’s been epoxy bedded and pillar bedded. (It’s such a good looking piece that I sometimes just stare at it. Lol). So I am planning on keeping it. I laying a bottom metal to the stock is something I’d be okay with doing myself instead of paying to have it done. I’ve never done a full bottom for a rifle but have done plenty of decorative inlays for my black powder and cowboy stuff. So doing something bigger would just be a challenge to accept. I am planning on the oryx chassis on my 6.5cm axis though.

In that case PTG is about the only ting I can think of but that's its own can of worms with bolt spacing and all that savage confusion, if you do go PTG buy it from midway or somewhere that distributes and let them deal with getting you the right thing instead of going PTG direct and getting screwed over for potentially months on end.

I have some savage PTG savage bottom metal.
It actually worked quite well in the stock it was in.
It’s not a standard savage inlet so work will be involved.

I have some savage PTG savage bottom metal.
It actually worked quite well in the stock it was in.
It’s not a standard savage inlet so work will be involved.
Any chance you can pm me pics of it and a link for it? If it’s adaptable to work that would be great. Cause right now I’m staring at pictures of rem 700 internal box mags wondering if I can get it to work. Lol

He's asking about the Axis model long and short action are the same action. There are some mag conversions on Ebay but don't think they use the Aics mags >

Reactions: Jgr2015
I ran a cdi bottom metal in mine in a boyds and in ran like a champ with 6.5x47 .I have switched to the oryx chassis and love it

Attachments

• savage axis.jpg
    savage axis.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 128
I ran a cdi bottom metal in mine in a boyds and in ran like a champ with 6.5x47 .I have switched to the oryx chassis and love it
Very nice. Thanks for all the replies guys! For now I guess I am just going to have to wait until another manufacturer produces a bottom metal or try to find one used. I did go ahead and get the plunger style release base (from the newer axis) for the magazine I have now. Much better but still plastic.

Has anyone looked into the bottom metal from Accurate-Mag? I may bite the bullet and see if i can make it work on my Axis.

Like yourself, I have some interest in the Axis (II) as something more than a low dollar hunting rifle.

My mods so far have been limited to a decent laminated wood (Boyd's) classic stock and an EGW Steel extended scope base. It shoots well as a Hunter, but not with the Sniper Match accuracy of the Win 70 Featherweight that it replaced.

I'm especially pleased with the light overall weight of mine; and how well it lends itself to the task of a walkabout hunting rifle.

As far as the plastic goes; it's a sign of our times, and I don't mind it at all. As long as it doesn't impair function; it's all good by me.

Obviously, I'm keenly interested in the steps you've taken to improve your rifle's accuracy (beyond bedding it), and in what sort of accuracy you've managed to achieve. FWIW, mine is a long action 30-06 Axis II.

Greg

Like yourself, I have some interest in the Axis (II) as something more than a low dollar hunting rifle.

My mods so far have been limited to a decent laminated wood (Boyd's) classic stock and an EGW Steel extended scope base. It shoots well as a Hunter, but not with the Sniper Match accuracy of the Win 70 Featherweight that it replaced.

I'm especially pleased with the light overall weight of mine; and how well it lends itself to the task of a walkabout hunting rifle.

As far as the plastic goes; it's a sign of our times, and I don't mind it at all. As long as it doesn't impair function; it's all good by me.

Obviously, I'm keenly interested in the steps you've taken to improve your rifle's accuracy (beyond bedding it), and in what sort of accuracy you've managed to achieve. FWIW, mine is a long action 30-06 Axis II.

Greg
Besides bedding the stock i installed a mcgowen barrel made with options i selected. Freefloated the barrel myself, timney trigger. That little thing shoots lights out. Right now im working on a 243 axis build.