• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Axis/Edge 10 Round High Capacity Magazine..

z71rat

Gunny
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2004
Whitney, TX
RatMag - Savage Axis/Edge "SAE-10" High Capacity Magazine...

Here is the proto-type that I have been working on. So far, everything seems to be a GO!! Depending on how much interest I get for these, I might begin making them.

DK

SEA1-1.jpg

SEA2-1.jpg

SEA3-1.jpg

Re: Savage Axis/Edge 10 Round High Capacity Magazine..

Looks good Rat! Have you had any luck with the WSM brass I sent you?

The WSM's pose a problem with the size of the brass body. They don't want to stack correctly inside the magazine. I have not been able to get them to feed consistantly with anything over 5 rounds. Pretty frustrating.

The other problem is, they are much more labor intensive to try and get them to feed. Basically amounts to many hours of tweeking back and forth to get them to be functional. The cost of the magazines would be really high.

DK

Thanks for the compliment on the SAE magazines. It worked out pretty well, and seems to be functioning pretty good too. We will see where this goes... who knows.

DK

Hey Bishop... you might want to try again...

DK

Right now, the Savage Axis/Edge magazines that are being used to convert over to the RatMag can be had cheapest from Cheaper Than Dirt.

If someone has a cheaper source, please let me know... Thanks!!

DK

The Savage Axis/Edge magazine assembly will be utilized for the conversion to the 10 round RatMag. I do not have the Savage magazine supplies on hand, so you will need to ship me your magazine assembly, or have one drop shipped from Cheaper Than Dirt, or any place else that you can find them.

I would prefer you to send me the magazines for conversion, than for me to take in all the supplies and build them. This would be for 2 main reasons.

#1, I won't have to be out the funds of getting in the supplies to make them, or getting stuck with supplies on hand and no orders.

#2, You will be fully aware of the supplies that I have to work with, so the turn around time to get the magazine back to you will be fairly quick.

Fair enough??

DK

Looking good. If I decide to try out an Axis I will definitely get with you. I have been thinking about one for a varmint / beater rifle.

OK, just let me know. I will see what we can do!!

DK

Some clarification needs to take place. I have had several requests so far for the .223 small caliber magazines. Sorry, but these conversions will only work with the 243/260/308 family of rifles.

I tried to make the small caliber magazines work before, with no luck due to the cartridge block that is in the magazine body. I could make them work, but you wouldn't want to pay me what I would need to break even making them. So to be nice to my sanity, and your wallet, I will NOT be making any of the smaller caliber magazine conversions. Thanks!!

In addition to the information above, concerning the 243/260/308 rifles, there is a maximum cartridge length of 2.850". The reason for this, is due to the interior dimensions of the G3 magazine body that gets used for the conversion. Just FYI!!

DK

So if anyone is wanting a new RatMag High Capacity Magazine, just PM me and let me know. The magazines that I will be using from this point on, will be the magazines used with the Savage Axis/Edge Rifles.

These are centerfeed magazines, but they also have the plastic floor plate to them that I can customize to make the magazine ride in the magwell 1,000 TIMES BETTER!! There is no play, no slop, and none of the over insertion possibilities anymore!!

This is the "cure" to me having to weld the rear and side tabs on the magazines to fill the magwells properly. This makes for a much more desireable magazine, and better manufacturing!! With the addition of this floor plate, I am sure that I can make the Extra High Capacity Magazines, and there will not be any issues of the magazines falling out due to weak magazine tab springs!!

So if anyone wishes to try out a RatMag ST-15, just send me the SAE magazine assembly, and I will make you one for dirt cheap!! This will be used for test evaluation purposes, so you will be doing me a favor as well.

DK

***I got a testimonial from a good customer... thought I would share. Thanks Alex!!***

Donnie,

Well here are some images of how the mag looks once its seated. The first time I tried seating it, it took a little effort to get the clip in the front to click into place but after removing it a few times and reinserting it, it can be done now with little effort. I loaded 10 rd’s in the mag and cycled through them all with no issues.

I am extremely happy with the mag and on looks alone, I love it! Again, thanks so much for the great work!

Thank you,

Alex

image001.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

That's one sexy rifle
wink.gif

You like that huh?? Looks kinda familiar to ya don't it!! LOL

Thanks for the nice testimonial Brother!! Enjoy it!!

DK

PM returned with information. Thanks!!

DK

Hello!

A friend of mine just pointed me in your direction as I was asking him if anyone makes a larger capacity magazine for the Savage Axis 243 and he sent me here. I just joined up so I could ask further questions about the cost of your re-worked magazines? I would likely buy one from Cheaper Than Dirt and have it shipped to you as that may expedite you getting it sooner.

If you'd rather PM that's fine with me.

Thanks!

PM or here, either will work. I have tried to get the magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt, but they are always out. I have also found another source, Gnarly Outfitters. From what I can tell, they have the magazines in stock, and are reasonable.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks!!

DK

at the risk of cluttering the thread, I also sent a PM.

Hi - i was wondering .223 mags can i judt use a larger mag?

I don't have a 223 action to work with to see. At least in my mind, I don't see why not. Kinda like using a 243/308 in a long action Savage. It can be done, I am just not sure about the smaller casing of the 204/223.

DK

Cheaper Than Dirt has the Axis/Edge 243/308/7mm-08 magazines in stock now. They have the cheapest prices for the factory magazine that I have seen anywhere.

DK

does it matter if it's the 3rd or 4rd mag? it seems there are 2 different models....

Hmmm, I am not aware of a 3 round version. Everything that I have for a .308 Savage Axis/Edge rifle, all show to be 4 rounders.

Do you have the links for the 2 magazines in question??

DK

CTD: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/71653-1.html

Gnarly: http://www.gnarlyoutfitters.com/savage-arms-axis-mag-243-7mm-08-308-bl-4rd/

both are the same savage sku 55232, but one says 3rd and the other 4rd.

here's another 3rd example: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71653

and another 4rd example: http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com...s_AXIS_243_7mm_08_308_Bl.aspx?&w=pq+jdyolrqe=

I guess it doesn't really matter what the site says since the sku's are the same, but I didn't want to invest time and money into something that wasn't going to work.

Yep, they are all the same magazine assemblies. They are all 4 rounders. That is just a mess up on CTD's part about the 3. Nice price on the Bud's offering too!!

I will incorporate that link into my information. Thanks!!

DK

Just to let everyone know, I have in my possession, a 223 magazine assembly to do some more R&D with. I have been asked numberous times about this magazine setup, so I am going to give it another shot.

I believe that I may have come up with a solution, so just hang tight and I will let you know what I can come up with...

DK

Hey Gang,

I just finished up this 15 rounder for a customer, and thought I would post a pic for you to check it out!! Function is absofreakinlutely flawless!!

DK

IMAG0248.jpg

and it looks freakin beautiful!

I apologize in my delay, too... our baby came earlier than we expected.

No apologies necessary. Congrats on the new young shooter in the family!!

DK

Just to let everyone know, yes, I am still making these magazines... Give me a shout!!

DK

That's awesome. Thanks to your magazine i will prolly get an axis now.

From all accounts that I have read about, people are getting really nice accuracy out of these rifles... even though they are priced really low. I think they could fill a void pretty easily.

DK

I would agree. I was doing pretty damned well with grouping trying to sight-in at about 25 yards WITHOUT any kind of mount assistance. in other words: standing up,but leaning over, holding the rifle up to my shoulder, while elbow-supported on the shooting platform/table thing.

New 204/223 conversion should be coming out shortly!! I found a great spring source, and I will be making this happen. Stay tuned!!

DK

Good to hear!! Let me know how you like it!! I have the springs on order for the 204/223 conversions. I believe that I have figured it all out. We will see!!

DK

Are you able to make a 10 rounder in 30-06? I am in the market for something and found your post on a google search. Great work by the way!

I badly injured my wrist so I haven't been able to test it out much yet, but I loaded some dummy rounds and cycling seemed to be absolutely flawless!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VictorSmalls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you able to make a 10 rounder in 30-06? I am in the market for something and found your post on a google search. Great work by the way! </div></div>

Sorry, but I don't have a good long action magazine body that I can use to make these conversions work. Every long action surplus magazine is really pricey, and I can't afford to do the R&D to make it happen.

If someone can find a surplus magazine cheap enough that will work, and can get me a Savage factory long action magazine assembly, I could do the R&D and make it cheap for the one with the supplies.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I badly injured my wrist so I haven't been able to test it out much yet, but I loaded some dummy rounds and cycling seemed to be absolutely flawless! </div></div>

Sorry about the wrist. I hope you mend well and fast!! I am glad to hear that she cycles flawlessly for you. I try my best to cycle everything several times before they go out the door to make sure everyone is happy. Sounds like you are!! LOL

DK

Dk,

So how do I contact you to buy some of those modified mags? I have a savage axis 308

NC

Here is a proto-type of the 204/223 magazine. It holds 15 rounds, so it would be great for the varmint hunters. It functions, but not as smooth as I would like. A bit more R&D is in order, but should be worked out pretty quick.

DK

IMAG0323.jpg

got my 10rd .308 mag today. it ain't shiny n new, but I wasn't expecting that. besides, I'll take function over form just about any day! cycling is a little rough for the first few rounds. it does get easier around round 3 or 4. also, the retaining clip doesn't click into place, I have to push it up/in a little. I'm sure it'll just take some time to work it all out.

satisfied overall!

2012-03-10_18-33-43_254.jpg

2012-03-10_18-35-04_618.jpg

2012-03-10_18-36-55_929.jpg

Once the follower assembly gets going, it will all be super smooth. My 12 rounder is as smooth as glass. Super slick and functions flawlessly.

I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with it. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Thanks again!!

DK

Can you pm me a price for a 10rd 308 mag? THANKS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tempest 455</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you selling .223 mags? </div></div>

I am still in the R&D process with these. Brass cases seem to work the best in these. The polymer coated cases (Wolf, Brown Bear, Tulammo) don't seem to want to function as smooth.

If I end up making these for people, I want them to function perfectly, regardless of what rounds they put through them. I want everyone to be happy, without the slightly possibility of hickups.

DK