• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Axis II?

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Since I cant find a Howa Mini in 6ARC, I was looking at the Savage Axis II in the same caliber. I am very skeptical of quality and accuracy potential with the Axis, does anybody have any experience with them?

Since I cant find a Howa Mini in 6ARC, I was looking at the Savage Axis II in the same caliber. I am very skeptical of quality and accuracy potential with the Axis, does anybody have any experience with them?
    Savage Axis feel like cheap shit and often shoot very well. Like a quite unattractive woman who is really good in bed. Usually a bit less stable than a solid tested milsurp design though. Your call.

Are you realistically going to put the money into it to make it shoot?

I would say the barrel and action are fine for what they are, but the Tupperware stocks they come in are literal trash. A Boyd’s stock at a minimum with a proper bedding job or even better, a cheaper chassis along the lines of an Oryx or something would give you a decent starting point. I’ve put together more than a few like this for buddies and all turned out to be decent shooters.

The feeding/extraction/ejection issues aren’t a problem until they are, but at least they don’t affect accuracy.

The most common hunting rifles at our state sponsored shooting range are Savage Axis, mostly IIs. The owners I`ve spoken with have been very pleased with their performance. The ones I`ve watched shoot have been very accurate. Having said that, if I were considering a Savage, if I could swing it moneywise I`d go the next level up with a 110. My 110 in .223 shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards in almost boring fashion with loads it likes. Have not experienced any functional issues with exception of some earlier magazine feeding issues. Those have resolved.
    You are a brave man coming to this site and asking about most any rifle brand other than the holiest of holys, the Tikka !

Look down the scope base holes in the action and make sure they are in line with the rifle.
    My cousin got one and ran out of windage trying to get zeroed. The holes are so far off it’s clear with the naked eye that they aren’t in line with the action.

I am dipping my toes into LR F Practical as I try to learn a little from the real F Class guys using an Axis II Precision in 6.5 Manbun. Using Lapua SRP, 450, 42.1 gr H4350, the Hornady 140ELDM and about 1thou. neck tension jumping 20 thou off, running it off a Skyline bipod and a rear squeeze bag it does better than I am. The new Taylor was Here bags are helping me with rear support.
    Helluva Fclass shooter named John at Atterbury let me know the rifle is outshooting me until I learn more, . Disclaimer I am a knuckle dragger service rifle sling shooter. I look forward to more time at 1000 yds this year.
    Load seems to be working. The Axis II precision is in a full MDT chassis. Trigger is ok, not fabulous, my little rimfire savage MK II has a better trigger. But it lets me shoot at LR and get my toes in the pond. Load testing this was with a can on it. Shot 1 out of the group, 2-5 in the same hole. I am learning rear bag use. Thought it was easy but it takes time to learn. Whole nother discipline for me.
    The SMK 140 and RL 17 actually shot quite well in early testing too. This is not a $1200-$1600 action, but a friend who does PRS and F with highend actions, rifles said it was a smoother action than he expected. Do I want to build a high end rig, of course. Job change and such has altered my funding.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.PNG
      IMG_2660.PNG
      468.7 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:
    I have one in .223. Its an off the shelf skinny barrel hunting rifle that I picked up used for cheap.

With my handloads it shoots amazingly well. As long as it performs, I cannot justify getting what I really want. Its my favorite .223 out of at least ten others. I think my next handgun is gonna be a High Point...

I ended up with a 6ARC Savage. There might newer options, this is what they offered as of about 6 months ago.

1) Savage Axis II with an unthreaded 24" barrel. I eliminated this one solely because I want to be able to use my suppressor on any new rifle I purchase.

2) Savage Switchback - This budget model is a Sportsman Warehouse exclusive. Basically, you get a 110 Action and trigger with an Axis level stock. I suspect the barrel is Axis level as well. Because it shoots great, I don't care.

I picked this version because I planned to ditch the stock from the start and put the barreled action in a chassis. Mine has a rather long, heavy barrel which is threaded. (The new model seems to have a shorter barrel barrel and a brake). With the chassis, I have a budget precision rifle to play with.

For just punching holes in paper, this is my favorite bolt action rifle. It has no recoil and punches little holes at the range. If you want a light rifle, this is not the way to go.

3) The 110 Tactical gets you a pretty good stock, the 110 action, and a 18" threaded barrel. With that short barrel, I bet they are very handy without being overly expensive.

After I bought my rifle, I got to handle a 6.5CM version. It was an impressive rifle for the price.

As usual, Savage lets buyers choose the features important to them.

Good luck.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    I have the 110 switchback from Sportsman’s Warehouse in 6 ARC. It was a great first step into the caliber for around $550. Mine shoots great with hand loads in everything from an 87 vmax all the way up to a 109 Berger. I have just about 300 rounds thru it and the only complaint I have is the typical Savage weak ejection. But for the price, it really doesn’t bug me that much. I believe it was like $550-ish. Considering Northland sells just the 6ARC 110 action for like $545, I’d say the Switchback is the way to go if you want the next step up from the Axis.

Reactions: Digetydog
    I have one in .223. Its an off the shelf skinny barrel hunting rifle that I picked up used for cheap.

With my handloads it shoots amazingly well. As long as it performs, I cannot justify getting what I really want. Its my favorite .223 out of at least ten others. I think my next handgun is gonna be a High Point...
    This site is the place to come to find disdain and contempt for Savage rifles, most from two or three frequent posters who pretty much seem to be unable to structure a post without the use of some form of the expletives " shit " or " fuck ". Anyway, an extensive search of web sites will reveal that the preponderance of complaints center around a couple of issues that obviously exist. The quality ( or lack thereof ) of the polymer stocks on Savage rifles. Since most complaints are generic " Savage " in nature, it`s hard to determine if these are in reference primarily to the Axis line ( true, lower cost budget rifles ) or a condemnation of ALL Savage rifle stocks. As apparently opposed to the aforementioned vocabulary challenged posters, I`m not an expert in the relative merits of the polymer stocks on various rifle brands. Therefore, I`m unqualified to compare. I`ll only say that the stock on my 110 seems reasonably rigid, both fore and aft. The other main complaint I`ve seen centers around extraction and/or ejection issues. Apparently the small ball bearing in the extractor is a weak point. The remedy appears to be a simple replacement of said ball bearing and/or ejector, depending on the issue at hand. An upgrade kit is readily available. I`ve personally ensured that the original extractor and ejector will NEVER fail by going ahead and purchasing a backup upgrade kit!! You want something original to not fail, buy a backup !! I`ll not defend Savage for any shortcomings in design that may exist, but I think it should be kept in mind that the Axis line, both I & II , are entry level, low budget guns in all respects. However, if the number I see at the range is any indication, a lot of people shoot them.

I won`t generalize to all 110s, but my 110 Storm has been everything I could have asked for in a first centerfire rifle. Extremely accurate, no functional issues (knock on wood!! ). Bolt lift is stiff at the top( cocking ) but is slowly getting easier.

I won`t generalize to all 110s, but my 110 Storm has been everything I could have asked for in a first centerfire rifle. Extremely accurate, no functional issues (knock on wood!! ). Bolt lift is stiff at the top( cocking ) but is slowly getting easier.

Great Post.

Reactions: Foul Mike
    I like to make fun of High Point pistols, and low quality AKs the way others make fun of Savage rifles. But at the end of the day, a shitty AK is better than no AK, having a High Point is better than not having a pistol, and Savage rifles (the 3 that I have had) were pretty good & I liked them, even if they were low priced. Probably BECAUSE they are low priced. High Points are just ugly, and inexpensive but if something works, it works.

But, if it COSTS MORE, it must be better, right? I'll just stay right here & be poor as much as I want.

I like to make fun of High Point pistols, and low quality AKs the way others make fun of Savage rifles. But at the end of the day, a shitty AK is better than no AK, having a High Point is better than not having a pistol, and Savage rifles (the 3 that I have had) were pretty good & I liked them, even if they were low priced. Probably BECAUSE they are low priced. High Points are just ugly, and inexpensive but if something works, it works.

But, if it COSTS MORE, it must be better, right? I'll just stay right here & be poor as much as I want.

Some people don't understand there is a difference between cheap and affordable. In my mind, Savages are affordable accuracy which can be upgraded in the same way that M700's were upgraded over time.

- if you don't like the trigger, swap it out.
    - if you don't like the barrel, swap it out.
    - if you don't like the stock, swap it out.
    - if you you want to switch your rifle from 6.5CM to a 6.8 Western - change the bolt face.
    - if you get an Axis Action, you can convert it from Short Action to/from long action rather easily.

And after all that swapping and extra money spent you are still stuck with a savage. Some people think affordable means a good investment.

Different folks have different needs and priorities in what they buy in general. This certainly applies to firearms as well. A drawback that`s important to a shooter that`s perceived in one rifle brand might not be so important to another. Doesn`t make either wrong. There`s an accurate rifle at all points of the budget spectrum for all.

And after all that swapping and extra money spent you are still stuck with a savage. Some people think affordable means a good investment.
    People kid themselves about the over all cost of a Frankengun. If it works for you with an aftermarket stock or chassis, that’s sound. Anything more and the turd polishing is on point. I say that as a self confessed former turd polisher. Nothing wrong with turds, it’s the polishing that is silly.

Ejection? I took the plungers out, only shooting prone matches with the Savages. Don't need no stinking ejection, just extraction. No brass chasing at all.

I have a savage axis II in 300blk that I sbr'd. It was crazy cheap and available. It was easily the worst action I've ever felt from the factory. I did a few of the bolt mods available and now it's not so bad. Overall I love the little thing for it's purpose, which is plinking and short range deer
    image_20230101192048451.jpg

People kid themselves about the over all cost of a Frankengun. If it works for you with an aftermarket stock or chassis, that’s sound. Anything more and the turd polishing is on point. I say that as a self confessed former turd polisher. Nothing wrong with turds, it’s the polishing that is silly.

I totally agree with you. Whether it is a Savage build or a M700 build, you won't get your money back if you go the upgrade route.

Honestly, I have never felt the need to go the upgrade route. Both are accurate - especially the 6ARC.

- The 6.5CM will stay in my family as a hunting gun.
    If I decide to sell the 6ARC, I'll just pull it out of the chassis and put it back in its original stock. But, my goal is to need to replace the barrel because I shot it enough to burn the barrel out.

Last edited:
    I have a savage axis II in 300blk that I sbr'd. It was crazy cheap and available. It was easily the worst action I've ever felt from the factory. I did a few of the bolt mods available and now it's not so bad. Overall I love the little thing for it's purpose, which is plinking and short range deerView attachment 8035964
    Could you share some of the bolt mods with me ???

Could you share some of the bolt mods with me ???
    I did this-

And this-

Also some polishing where possible

Reactions: 9rcrazy
    I did this-

And this-

Also some polishing where possible
    Awesome !! Thanks so much

I have a savage axis II in 300blk that I sbr'd. It was crazy cheap and available. It was easily the worst action I've ever felt from the factory. I did a few of the bolt mods available and now it's not so bad. Overall I love the little thing for it's purpose, which is plinking and short range deer
    Is the stock a savage ? If so where did you get the raised cheek piece ??

I installed a .125" thick adj cheek piece from flea bay on my loaner Axis rifle, maybe $20+ dollars shipped with hardware.
    I filled the stock with spray foam before install, as the stock is pretty thin, hollow and noisy.
    IMG_1541.JPG

Is the stock a savage ? If so where did you get the raised cheek piece ??
    It is the the factory savage stock. I used a Magpul hunter cheek riser and modified it to fit nicely against the stock, I've done it to my factory Bergara bmr stock as well. Both turned out great

20211231_194408_20230102202823109.jpg

I changed the ball bearing to one size larger in my Savage APO .308. It’s a shooter and definitely doesn’t feel cheap. That being said the action was blueprinted and custom chassis essentially.
    Maybe apples to oranges but it solved the extraction issue. It’s the only Savage I own because it was $600 on sale at Bridgeport Equipment and Tool in Marion, OH. They had a bunch in .308 that were selling so they practically gave them away.
    710E9790-CD0A-4DCF-ACA7-11861A9B6BD9.jpeg
    4C2B1FD4-5C6A-421D-B15E-EC7C03F5F1A3.jpeg

The Savage Axis and Axis II are the worst and cheapest centerfire rifle action I have ever run across. Thee Savage 110 was already the cheapest action to build trying to do something cheaper was a disaster. I own 3 Savages 1 of them is a Savage Axis in 243.

The main problem is one of feeding the AXIS and AXIS II are all standard length actions so they suffer feeding issues with anything that is not a fairly long cartridge. The Stocks is garbage and the magazine is garbage. The trigger is garbage. They should sell for $200 or less I got mine for $149 or $168 on clearance for that price I am not complaining it is the "Muddy Girl" one with the pink camouflaged stock and came with cheap optic.

If the Howa is a Seiko Automatic wrist watch the Savage Axis and Axis II is by comparison a watch from a gumball machine that has a hologram for a display so it is not a real watch!

Just say no wait and get the Howa! It is 1000X more rifle than the Savage at about the same price point!
    Are your other two Savages 110s and how do they shoot?

I picked up a new Savage Axis II Precision in .223. Tossed an Athlon Argos 6-24 x 50 FFP MOA on top. Just getting started but today @ 185 yards (2 mph wind 60° day) with 77gr SMKs I put 5 shots into a .60 inch group. 69gr SMKs printed a 1.4 inch group.

Very satisfied. These were factory Federal Premium Gold Match.
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-03-26 19_02_01.003499.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-03-26 19_23_41.851695.jpg

I have several Savage rifles but none of them are the Axis or Axis II. My current Savage rifles are: Molde 12 FVL 308, MkII GVL 17m2, and MkII BTVLSS 22LR. All three have the heavier Savage Varmint barrel (which I prefer). All of my Savage rifles with the varmint barrels are very accurate and reliable.

Yes the Axis line is good out of the box as is for general hunting and informal target shooting. They do not lend themselves to customization as well as the Savage 10/110 series rifles. One compliant on the Axis is the recoil lug versus the 10/110 recoil lug. And you can tell the difference right away when you handle both and when you have both out of the stock.

And with anything, one will reach a point of diminishing returns when doing any customization. I never could understand all the bashing Savage takes. They make a fine rifle at a reasonable price point. And not everyone can afford to spend several thousands of dollars on a rifle. And yes I am realistic and don't expect a Savage to be as nice as a high end rifle either. But Savage rifles work and are accurate.

Reactions: Stephen Bachiler
    I'm presently testing an Axis II with an Outlier 308 Nitrided barrel and their Chassis. Really nice unit so far. Like most other Savages accuracy is excellent. The action isn't as smooth as a custom but for typical longrange matches most of us meer mortals compete in they can be competitive.

The groups are numbered in the order shot, took 2 shots to boresight and get centered. No break-in, no load development. 185 Juggernauts at 100 yards. 308 would not be first choice but that is what they wanted tested. 6mm or 6.5 is our usual choice.

We have a few Savages but this was my first Axis II, so far no complaints. As was mentioned in a previous post, we did machine the action to accept a match recoil lug. The factory trigger was played with and is adjustable to well under a pound and super crisp if so desired. This system was designed as an entry level setup without breaking the bank.

https://getoutlier.com/products/

20230217_123056.jpg
    20230217_123102.jpg
    20230217_131235.jpg
    Facebook_creation_158844636.jpg

Last edited:
    I have several Savage rifles but none of them are the Axis or Axis II. My current Savage rifles are: Molde 12 FVL 308, MkII GVL 17m2, and MkII BTVLSS 22LR. All three have the heavier Savage Varmint barrel (which I prefer). All of my Savage rifles with the varmint barrels are very accurate and reliable.

Yes the Axis line is good out of the box as is for general hunting and informal target shooting. They do not lend themselves to customization as well as the Savage 10/110 series rifles. One compliant on the Axis is the recoil lug versus the 10/110 recoil lug. And you can tell the difference right away when you handle both and when you have both out of the stock.

And with anything, one will reach a point of diminishing returns when doing any customization. I never could understand all the bashing Savage takes. They make a fine rifle at a reasonable price point. And not everyone can afford to spend several thousands of dollars on a rifle. And yes I am realistic and don't expect a Savage to be as nice as a high end rifle either. But Savage rifles work and are accurate.
    I sometimes wonder if the genesis of at least some of the vitriol hurled at Savage rifles in general, and the Axis line in particular, is the no doubt irksome occurrence in which a guy shooting a high end, custom rig has somebody adjacent to them shooting equal or better groups with a gun that`s 1/3 of the price of the custom he`s shooting. Having said that, I believe that the Axis line and Savage rifles definitely DO have some shortcomings. While the earlier FTF issues have resolved with my magazines, Savage`s magazines leave a LOT to be desired, both centerfire and rimfire, if my two Savage rifles have been any indication. The polymer stocks, though the one on my 110 seems firm enough, are notoriously flexible. I`m assuming that becomes more of an issue as one moves up in caliber. The heavy bolt lift, particularly at the top with the cocking mechanism, is no doubt off putting to some. There are ways to improve that significantly. Extraction and ejection issues have also been thorny, but again , relatively easily addressed. Knock on wood, both of my guns have functioned flawlessly, but I`m not necessarily extrapolating that to ALL Savage rifles. While I`ve not shot one, I felt that the Axis II, in handling and cycling, did not " feel " as solid a rifle as the 110. Even so, the Axis II is far and away the most common traditional hunting rifle at our local range, and the guys that I`ve talked to that own them like them very much.

Reactions: 12Bravo20
    I sometimes wonder if the genesis of at least some of the vitriol hurled at Savage rifles in general, and the Axis line in particular, is the no doubt irksome occurrence in which a guy shooting a high end, custom rig has somebody adjacent to them shooting equal or better groups with a gun that`s 1/3 of the price of the custom he`s shooting.

I am positive that is one of the reasons that Savage rifles get so much dislike. And I have went through that with 1911's too. I have caught all kinds of flack for my foreign Rock Island Armory 1911. Some instantly shut up once we start shooting and others get even more upset since I outshoot them with my $350 pistol versus their $1500+ custom pistol.

I will admit, I have not bought any new bolt action rifles since 2018 so I can't comment on the current status of Savage's quality control. And yes there are some known issues but they are not wide spread as some make it out to be. I too am not enamored by stock Savage centerfire magazines. But they can usually be fixed cheaply and easily.

Your experience with comparing the Axis versa the 10/110 is the same as mine. The Axis series is still a very popular rifle and one of the higher selling here too. An Axis with its sporter barrel and synthetic stock is still capable of excellent out of the box accuracy. I would never dream of using an Axis for competition but I would have no problems using one for my primary hunting and informal target gun.

I have stuck with the 10/110 series simply because they are easier to find in a left hand model with the heavier varmint barrels.

@coldboremiracle it all depends on what you want to do with a Savage Axis. They definitely aren't as nice as higher priced rifles but they will do fine for the casual shooter right out of the box. And they are popular enough that more and more manufactures are making chassis stocks and other parts for them.

Now if you plan on buying one and then buying a better barrel and chassis, then you are better of just buying the Axis Precision or 110 Precision rifles that come with a heavier barrel and chassis. You will spend the same amount of money with buying a new barrel and chassis along with the price of the rifle as you would if you just buy the precision models.

Update on mine. Well got to load test Lapua SRP 2x fired brass now, trying a softer load at five hundred yds a few weeks back after vintage rifle course match. Found a few good nodes and this one screen grabbed as I fired it on the Solo target. Got caught up in hitting steel so Only have this one load test on target. I pushed shot 3 up. For a mostly stock AxisII Precision off a bipod and a Taylor rear bag, I think this load will work. 140 ELDM 20 though off. H4350, Lapua SRP, CCI 450. Had Magneto Speed on the rifle while testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.PNG
      IMG_0123.PNG
      179.3 KB · Views: 41
    Last edited:
    Reactions: 12Bravo20
    They are decent rifles to build on, I’ve done it with a savage axis in 223. First thing I did tho was swap out the cheap polymer stock and put it in a MDT Oryx chassis and then did the Mcarbo trigger spring kit(a better option I learned later is the Timney trigger). I was able to shoot my smallest grouping at .6 MOA at 100 yards in a 5 shot grouping.
    774BFE23-E9DB-46E2-8B66-1EFC6826DAB0.jpeg

Reactions: Scttschnd