• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage Axis Misfire?

FisherT&C

Competition Rifle Barrelwork CAGE:9SLZ8
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 1, 2020
    Montana
    http
    I had someone contact me about a Axis misfiring. The ammo was eliminated as the culprit due to it all working fine in other rifles. I do not have the rifle in hand yet, I'll probably get it tomorrow. My guess is not enough firing pin protrusion or a weak mainspring. Surely it could have been assembled poorly at the factory also. The rifle was purchased new 2 years ago and it has always done it. I was just curious if anyone dealt with this problem before in an Axis and what you found as the cause. Thanks.

Chase

Interested to hear any findings you may find and be willing to share. I used a donor Axis II to rebarrel in 6.8 and had a few misfires out of about 20 shots fired. Light primer strikes. I am NOT a gunsmith, just a tinkerer.

Does the rifle have the Savage trigger with a blade? If so, I have been able to introduce "misfires" by applying a side pressure to the "blade" instead of pulling it directly to the rear. Something in the safety mechanism prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer when side pressure is introduced to the "blade".

Firing pin protrusion is an easy fix on a savage.
    User error on a savage trigger not so much.
    Hope they bring you empty cases and some primers 😉.

Does the rifle have the Savage trigger with a blade? If so, I have been able to introduce "misfires" by applying a side pressure to the "blade" instead of pulling it directly to the rear. Something in the safety mechanism prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer when side pressure is introduced to the "blade".
    That appears to be a possible problem. I have the rifle now. I manipulated the trigger out of the stock. Seems to me if you do not pull the trigger all the way to the rear the override sear (blade) drags on the on the trigger body after disengaging the trigger sear.
    Thanks for the insight! I'll let you know what the outcome is after I work through the rifle.

Chase

Reactions: Chief_Rick
    My friend had an axis with a misfire issue he asked me to look at last year. Turned out to be a coiled up chip/bur hanging onto the firing pin hole inside the bolt head. Must not have broke off when they drilled the hole. Quick debur and he hasn't had the issue since.

Interested to hear any findings you may find and be willing to share. I used a donor Axis II to rebarrel in 6.8 and had a few misfires out of about 20 shots fired. Light primer strikes. I am NOT a gunsmith, just a tinkerer.

To get right to it I fixed the rifle by replacing the entire trigger group and increasing the firing pin protrusion.

The firing pin protrusion was only .049",so I increased it to .065".
    The trigger was really creepy so I smoothed it up a little with some stoning. After that the rifle still misfired on the fourth round just like the owner said.
    So I figured something is binding in the trigger group and preventing the firing pin from striking hard enough. I found an entire factory trigger assembly for sale on line and ordered it. The new trigger looked slightly different, as if it was a different generation. When I installed the trigger and dry fired the rifle there was a very obvious audible difference in how hard the firing pin struck. The rifle test fired flawlessly after that.
    My guess is the original trigger was a bad part or one of a problem prone run of triggers.