• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage B22 FVSS NOT ENOUGH SCOPE ADJUSTMENT

gr8guns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
I have tried 2 different scopes on my Savage B22 FVSS , and both lack about 2 feet of elevation at 25 yards.
Needless to say, it’s very aggravating. I don’t think I should have to shim the base , but is that an acceptable fix ?

Why are you sighting in at 25 and not 50? You might be sighting in to close. That’s why your running out of adjustment.

Even if you zero at 50 yards, the POI should not be 2 feet low at 25 yards.

Are the scope rings the same height? Does the rifle have a 20 MOA base? Is the 20 MOA base reversed?

Years ago, I was running a deer hunter sight in day at the range and one of the hunters could not adjust his scope elevation to hit the target. We swapped the scope rings, front to back and back to front, and it fixed the problem.

Why are you sighting in at 25 and not 50? You might be sighting in to close. That’s why your running out of adjustment.
I was simply trying to get on the paper before moving to fifty yards.

My first thought was a reversed scope base as well. Or something wrong with the scope base; I had a CZ 527 I couldn't get on paper back in the day, and it was because one of the scope rings was keyed, and I had that one in the wrong spot and the key had the ring popped up out of place.

@Ty21 If you look at a ballistics table for a subsonic 22LR, the dope is almost the same at 25 yds as it is at 50 yds; with a 50-yd zero and subsonic ammo, the bullet usually crosses line of sight around 21-24 yards, then travels above LOS until dropping back below at 50 yards. This isn't the issue.

Reactions: Ty21
I have tried 2 different scopes on my Savage B22 FVSS , and both lack about 2 feet of elevation at 25 yards.
Needless to say, it’s very aggravating. I don’t think I should have to shim the base , but is that an acceptable fix ?
What is your setup. rings, base, etc? Burris XTR signature rings have up 40 moa adjustment in the rings.

My first thought was a reversed scope base as well. Or something wrong with the scope base; I had a CZ 527 I couldn't get on paper back in the day, and it was because one of the scope rings was keyed, and I had that one in the wrong spot and the key had the ring popped up out of place.

@Ty21 If you look at a ballistics table for a subsonic 22LR, the dope is almost the same at 25 yds as it is at 50 yds; with a 50-yd zero and subsonic ammo, the bullet usually crosses line of sight around 21-24 yards, then travels above LOS until dropping back below at 50 yards. This isn't the issue.
O ok that makes sense.. then it’s a scope and maybe ring issue