• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage barrel and stock options?

rgvt4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2012
Colorado
Just picked up a savage 110 in a 7mm mag. Want to swap barrels out and put a different stock on it. Don't want to break the bank on either. What brand of barrel and stock should be looking at. I am LH and have noticed I have less Stock options.

Thanks

Re: Savage barrel and stock options?

Barrel - lots 'o options, I'm partial to Criterion from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply.

Stock? For a lefty? That's somewhat more problematic if you don't want to spend the money for a Manners/McMillan.

Less expensive options are Stockade (consider this semi-custom) or maybe Choate.

Definitely go with a Criterion barrel! They are outstanding.

As for stock, its really how it fits you. Stockade does very nice work though.

Now the question is do I go to a 300 win or stick with the 7mm? Also what other calibers can I go to with out changing bolt faces.

I would also look at Pac-Nor for barrels. They're a bit more expensive than Criterion, but you have more selection with regards to twists, contours, chamberings, etc.

The Choate stocks are quite popular, but I've heard they're quite heavy. In my opinion, if you can spring for a McMillan or Manners, it will be worth the extra money.

With a long action I would probably do a 7 wsm so you can run some big projectiles with a good amount of mag length.

Run a manners stock, they are affordable and awesome.

I love my Criterion barrel. Its awesome.

As for stocks, it depends on how much you wanna spend. Choate is around $200 and decent for the money. Stockades are a little more and I've heard are pretty good. Then you have Manners/McMillan. I have a Manners T4a and its fantastic. Worth every penny. You may also want to look into a chassis, around the same prices as Manners but no need to buy bottom metal or to bed it.

I have an XLR and it is great as well but looking into McRees because the folder version is about as much as a regular XLR.

I called Jim at NSS yesterday to order a barrel and some parts. Was set on a Criterion but he had a Shilen select match in what I was looking for so went that route. From reading can't go wrong either way.

The Shilen SM is a great barrel; you'll be happy with it. I guess Jim talked you into a bigger recoil lug??? If not, get one.

Oh I ordered a nut and lug with it- sold the factory stuff with the old barrel.
smile.gif

OP that is the exact thing I started with. I don't know if they're made but try to find a left hand takeoff HS stock if you can!

I am also left handed. Put a Mcree stock on my savage and couldn't be happier!
As far as barrels, I put a shilen 6.5 CM on my short action. Love it - my daughter and I took first and second place at a 1000 yd competition in July. Reasonably priced and very good performer. The stock 308 savage barrel is also a great barrel, consistently under MOA.