• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage barrel swapping

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I just bought a Savage Model 11 with the intention of turning it into a muzzleloader. However, it's a .243 and I've always wanted one of those too. I've understood that you can swap barrels back on a Savage action; the question is, does it completely disrupt the setup? How hard is it to maintain headspace etc?

Re: Savage barrel swapping

You would be better off just buying a separate muzzle loader

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> does it completely disrupt the setup? How hard is it to maintain headspace etc? </div></div>

Kinda. You lose zero for sure.

I found it helpful to wrap the barrel with a rubber jacket (from an inner tube) to prevent it from spinning in the wooden blocks in the vise. Also, you'll need a wooden mallet to break the barrel nut loose. I set headspace by using a fired FL sized case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would be better off just buying a separate muzzle loader
</div></div>

Uh, so which manufacturer makes a .45 cal muzzleloader rated for smokeless of an appropriate diameter to size bullets for sabotless shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> does it completely disrupt the setup? How hard is it to maintain headspace etc? </div></div>

Kinda. You lose zero for sure.

I found it helpful to wrap the barrel with a rubber jacket (from an inner tube) to prevent it from spinning in the wooden blocks in the vise. Also, you'll need a wooden mallet to break the barrel nut loose. I set headspace by using a fired FL sized case. </div></div>

I can handle a re-zero, it's the headspace issue I'm concerned about. Thanks for the tip on the fired case, I've heard some use a gauge for this but got no specifics.

The barrel nut wrench costs about 25-35 bucks from midway. It depends what type of account you have with them.

With that wrench comes directions to reset the headspace each time.

It will change, I set my switch barrel to as tight of a headspace as possible with the bolt still able to snugly close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel nut wrench costs about 25-35 bucks from midway. It depends what type of account you have with them.

With that wrench comes directions to reset the headspace each time.

It will change, I set my switch barrel to as tight of a headspace as possible with the bolt still able to snugly close. </div></div>

Thanks, I'll look up and order the wrench.