• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage barrels on Marlin XL YES!

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
Those of you who have bought one of the new Marlin bolt actions like this:
DSCN2840.jpg

and would like to try different weight/caliber barrels will be happy to know that as well as "borrowing" the Glock trigger, Weatherby bolt and shroud, 700 bolt handle and stock design, Savage floating bolt head (although better), Marlin also used the same barrel nut and thread specs as Savage did. A Savage barrel nut wrench fit the Marlin nut and the Marlin nut screws right on a Savage barrel and vice versa.
The only issue is headspacing as the Marlin bolt lugs are larger (front to back) than the Savage. Some folks who don't intend to ever use the Marlin barrel again are facing off the bolt a bit, but I think facing off the chamber end of the barrel is better (we are only talking a few thou here). While my 270 XL (after free floating and glass bedding the action) is a tack driver, I can see a fast twist 26" 280, a short fat 35 Whelen and maybe even a 400 Whelen (everybody needs two!) in the future.
BTW, don't believe what some gun rag writers are saying about the XL trigger being limited to 3.5 pounds. The Glock design lets mine be set at 1.5 pound, pass the "drop it on the butt cocked test" and only needs ONE locking nut and ONE screw to adjust (Are you listening FN and Remington?) Almost as simple as a "real" model 70.
The "Po-Boy" TAC rifle just keeps getting better!

Re: Savage barrels on Marlin XL YES!

The measurement you are talking about is called protrusion. It is the length of the portion of the case base which extends beyond the barrel/chamber into the bolt face recess. Barrels which are chambered with different protrusion measurements are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> interchangeable.

Greg

I said you EITHER have to face off the bolt or the rear (chamber end) of the barrel. In effect you are shortening the length of the chamber to achieve proper headspace.
It is being done with no problems. You might wish to look at the gunsmithing 101 forum:
http://www.usa-shooters.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=517
to see how.
No one has blown themselves up yet.

Now I'm gonna push the envelope even more.
If you are a handloader and don't care about factory ammo, then you could just buy a Shilen or Shaw "ready to install" Savage barrel in 280 AI with a 1 in 9 twist, Varmint contour and just screw it in all the way, tighten the nut, the hell with headspacing it.
Get some new 280 AI brass, neck it up to 30, back down to 284 leaving a false shoulder to headspace on, and fireform them.
You end up with a 280 AI that has a shoulder 4-7 thou farther out than "stock". Don't mark the barrel 280 AI, mark it 7mm killer diller so no dummy will try and shoot 280 rem or 280 AI in it.
No machine work, a bit more case capacity and you'll never see another one at the range.

LOL

Mr Humble your really running with this. arent you.

I know of 3 shooters who have switched barrels from savages to the new Marlins with no adverse effects. Guys it can be done, It is being done. Its no different then tinkering with any other rifle.

Howdy.

Yeah it sounded neat until Shaw quoted 16 yes SIXTEEN weeks for a barrel and Shilen wants as much for one as the rifle cost!

Your link requires registration.

I heard you the first time. My only quibble regards how one defines interchangeable. Mine implies no modifications necessary.

All this aside, I think it's a remarkable find, and I am quite please that the barrel nut approach is gaining wider appreciation.

Cost, quality, and accuracy in mind, does the resulting combination provide a product with effectiveness superior to the Savage?

BTW, when one orders a barrel, protusion is one of the measurements one may specify.

Greg

I'm interested to see how the factory marlin barrels shoot, they've been incredibly consistent for the 3 that I have, I'm sure the micro-groove has something to do with it.

My 270 shoots great, sub MOA, but it is only 22" and quite light.

Latest up date: Just put a Savage takeoff 22-250 barrel I bought on the Hide on my Marlin. Got the barrel vise & Savage/Marlin nut wrench from Brownells. Used a new factory 22-250 as a "headspace gauge. Test fired it and case meets all factory specs and extracted and ejected perfectly. Whole job (first time) took 45 minutes.The "facing off" talked about elsewhere is unnecessary. I have seen the future and it does not require a lathe!
22-250head.jpg

22250case.jpg

By the looks of that brass you need to tighten up the HS or the chamber is large at the base. Look at the ring on the base of the brass. The brass is not going to last long.

Nope, that is not a pressure ring. The brand new factory ammo has that same mark all the way around it. Also fired case OAL is EXACTLY the same as the new cases from the factory ammo, so there is no stretching. If the headspace were any tighter, I could not chamber factory ammo. Point is moot anyway as I never FL size bolt action ammo. Only use Lee Collet or Redfield bushing dies. When it won't chamber easily, I toss it.
Now as to results.....

22-250 barrel swap results! Had the Marlin supplied base on the rifle from the barrel installation so I dug around my scopes to find something in Weaver Rings. Found an ancient (but factory overhauled in 06') Leupold M8 6X with tapered crosshairs and a 1 minute Lee Dot.
Slapped it on and went up to the range this AM with a White/Green box of Remington 22-250 50 gr factory loads. ($15.49 at the local hardware). Got it centered up at 25 yards (3 shots), let her cool down for 5 minutes and moved out to 100.
Top group is first 3 fired one minute apart. Adjusted the scope a bit and fired the lower three just: bang, bang, bang.
I think it works! Remember the Lee dot is bigger than the "big" group! Can't wait till my die set arrives and I can try some handloads!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

22250group-1.jpg

Dammit!
This is gonna cost me.
I will have the Marlin. 30-06....
And extra barrels of other calibers.....

Well, Hell. I called to place an order for the new Marlin, and was told that they were back ordered because they were having a hard time finding truck axles to make the barrels.....

LOL, troll the net for Savage takeoff barrels. Mine was a $75.00 22-250 Savage. Marlin & Savage have the same barrel shank threads and the same nut threads. My truck axle Marlin 270 barrel shoots 1" 3 shot groups at 200 yards with max loads of H4350 and 130 TTSX or 135 SMKs. There are 4 XLs on Gunbroker as I'm typing this and more on GunsAmerica.com.

savageshooters.com look for "northlander" in the classified section. They have a lot of take off barrels and also new in stock McGowen and Shillen barrels ready to ship!

umm urr, so I have been told, at least that's what I'll tell my wife when my barrel shows up!