• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage barrels

Markone25

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2023
Edmond ok
I have a savage model 10 law enforcement with a 20" barrel. Action is bedded. I am wanting to change to a longer barrel to achieve longer burn rates and increase muzzle velocity. I hand load all my rounds. I use lapua brass large primers. I shoot sierra 155 palma bullets 2156 and berger 155.5 fullbore. I'm trying so decide which barrel to purchase. My question is what is the difference 308 win, 308 palma and a 308win F-tr.

Reactions: xphunter
I have a savage model 10 law enforcement with a 20" barrel. Action is bedded. I am wanting to change to a longer barrel to achieve longer burn rates and increase muzzle velocity. I hand load all my rounds. I use lapua brass large primers. I shoot sierra 155 palma bullets 2156 and berger 155.5 fullbore. I'm trying so decide which barrel to purchase. My question is what is the difference 308 win, 308 palma and a 308win F-tr.
Contact Savage, and ask the differences in the barrel contour. I cannot find the specific contour for these two barrels.
Make sure these barrel contours will work with your existing stock.
You are going to be purchasing a Savage barrel from Savage, correct?
The TR barrel has a 1-12 twist, while the Palma barrel has a 1-13 twist.
Do you ever plan to shoot a heavier bullet than the 155 class bullets?
Are you in a weight limit?
I would prefer the 12T over the 13T, everything else being equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge
I'm not opposed to shooting the 168 berger or sierramk. My barrel present hates both very inconsistent groups at any speed. I can drive tracks with the 155. Thanks for the response. I did own a styer with a 26" barrel. I wish I had not sold it now. Problem would have been solved. But hind site in never a good thing. Again thank you for the info.

I wouldn't replace a savage barrel with another factory savage barrel, or maybe keep the one you pull if it could be used for a clambering that was being Ackley Improved and use it for fire forming.
Get a Pac-Nor or Criterion, i would say McGowan as well if it were a few years ago but steer clear of them for now

I have a savage model 10 law enforcement with a 20" barrel. Action is bedded. I am wanting to change to a longer barrel to achieve longer burn rates and increase muzzle velocity.
As mentioned multiple times, it would be wise to use a barrel other than Savage

I wouldn't replace a savage barrel with another factory savage barrel, or maybe keep the one you pull if it could be used for a clambering that was being Ackley Improved and use it for fire forming.
Get a Pac-Nor or Criterion, i would say McGowan as well if it were a few years ago but steer clear of them for now
McGowan shit the bed again?

Reactions: XLR308
Contact Savage, and ask the differences in the barrel contour. I cannot find the specific contour for these two barrels.
I would prefer the 12T everything else being equal.
My rem varmint was a 12 twist and shot everything up to the 190 custom comp even at very sedate velocity with AR--COMP very accurately and really shined with 178-180 gr bullets.

The Savage Model 10 FP (law enforcement model) comes with the standard Savage medium contour Varmint barrel. And those barrels generally shoot very well. I know my Model 12 FVL 308 shoots 168 grain ammo extremely well and it also does great with the discontinued Norma Tac 150Gr FMJ ammo too. I have not tried anything heaver that 168G ammo in that rifle yet since it does well with what I have tried.

While there is nothing wrong with the Savage medium and heavy contour barrels, I do have to agree with others. If you want the most accuracy then get a better barrel. And I have seen some good suggestions made.

Now if you are set on using another Savage barrel and/or you can get one on the cheap, then I will suggest the 308 Varmint barrel from a FV since it is 26". Like I said the Varmint barrel on my 308 Model 12 FVL shoots very well. The Norma Tac 150Gr FMJ is definitely not match grade but it still shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards all day long out of my Model 12 FVL.

I would prefer the 12T everything else being equal.
THATS a cool set up! I shot something like that years ago in .243. It was a ruger something?