• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage bent receiver fixed - SHOOTING RESULTS

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
Hey guys, you may remember me from the horrible failure I accomplished with my Savage receiver a few weeks ago where I bent it horribly out of shape.

Well, today I spent about an hour working on it, and got it perfectly back to original shape. The bolt works perfectly again, and my EGW one-piece base goes on just as well as it used to.

However, I still need to remove my barrel so I can put the McGowen I have coming this week on it.

I no longer have access to a barrel vice, so I would like to know if there is any one on the Hide that would like to remove the factory barrel (I will pay of course). I have the Savage Barrel Nut Wrench, so I can supply that as well. I just need someone to REMOVE the barrel that is on the receiver currently. I'd rather pay to have a more skilled person do it than buy another barrel vise and perhaps fail again.

Is there anyone reputable on the Hide that can remove the barrel for me (I will supply the barrel nut wrench) for under $100 including return shipping to me? Please let me know if you know of anyone that will.

Thanks.

Brian

Re: Savage receiver FIXED - need to remove barrel

And how did you fix it? Got pictures? We need some details...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And how did you fix it? Got pictures? We need some details... </div></div>
+1
I'll bet it'll be a shooter!

Fixed by clamping leather-wrapped wrench on the rear of the receiver and applying torque in the tightening-direction of the barrel nut with the barrel nut wrench. Will post pictures later tonight.

Cover your shipping both ways and ill take it off for nothing. I already have the wrench

The setup (Force on wrench is toward the camera, force on barrel nut wrench is away from camera):
2w35ms3.jpg

Final:
cu4x2.jpg

Bolt fits perfectly again (so did base but I didn't want to put it back on for pics):
1071kc0.jpg

There was a little bit of wear from the wrench, but that was the only permanent damage:
4vpqhk.jpg

Any suggestions for a guy to remove the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Stop holding the receiver! Get yourself a barrel vice and hold just the barrel while torquing the barrel nut. The nut comes off that way, I promise!

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">STOP.</span></span>

The receiver is a serial numbered firearm, so make sure you follow all applicable FFL laws regarding shipping. This isn't something that goes in a Flat Rate box to your buddy in another state.

But, most gunsmiths will remove a barrel for FAR less than $100, I wouldn't pay half that for the service. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Look locally.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Stop holding the receiver! Get yourself a barrel vice and hold just the barrel while torquing the barrel nut. The nut comes off that way, I promise!

</div></div> Exactly,thats how i do it. Again if you dont feel comfortable doing it, ill do it for nothing if you cover all the shipping

PLEASE - Just STOP before you shoot your eye out. I am sorry but I can not take this anymore.
The horse is dead.

Thank you
Joe Dirte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, you may remember me from the horrible failure I accomplished with my Savage receiver a few weeks ago where I bent it horribly out of shape.

Well, today I spent about an hour working on it, and got it perfectly back to original shape. The bolt works perfectly again, and my EGW one-piece base goes on just as well as it used to.

However, I still need to remove my barrel so I can put the McGowen I have coming this week on it.

I no longer have access to a barrel vice, so I would like to know if there is any one on the Hide that would like to remove the factory barrel (I will pay of course). I have the Savage Barrel Nut Wrench, so I can supply that as well. I just need someone to REMOVE the barrel that is on the receiver currently. I'd rather pay to have a more skilled person do it than buy another barrel vise and perhaps fail again.

Is there anyone reputable on the Hide that can remove the barrel for me (I will supply the barrel nut wrench) for under $100 including return shipping to me? Please let me know if you know of anyone that will.

Thanks.

Brian </div></div>

Considering how bad you jacked it up, and then tried to fix it I doubt anyone with any sort of self preservation instinct will touch your receiver.

Think of the liability of you blowing yourself up and then saying "well XXX did this work to it". PM Chad Dixon, Jerry Stiller, George Gardner or anyone else who has a clue on how these things are built/manufactured and see what they say. It's not worth losing your face or worse, and it's not worth their liability.

You would be better off buying a cheap stevens for $250 selling everything but the receiver and starting over from there with a loss of about 150 bucks. It sounds like you are re-barrelling it anyway?

dude. dude, dude, dude. just do this. make a simple vise. i did mine for about $20. buy or make some wood blocks. you have most of what you need. learn to do it right or pay from the start. you already popped your cherry, you cannot possibly fuck this up any further. build this thing like i did or buy one. then your almost there.

here

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1640570#Post1640570

for $50ish you can get a good table mounted vise from midway or brownells also. mine came off easy with a sharp whack wuth the hammer and the barrel in the clamp

buy one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=650664

or these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=226100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PLEASE - Just STOP before you shoot your eye out. I am sorry but I can not take this anymore.
The horse is dead.

Thank you
Joe Dirte </div></div>

Don't try to spruce it up boy, your name is Dirt.

I would not want to be the one that test fires this setup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">STOP.</span></span>

The receiver is a serial numbered firearm, so make sure you follow all applicable FFL laws regarding shipping. This isn't something that goes in a Flat Rate box to your buddy in another state.

But, most gunsmiths will remove a barrel for FAR less than $100, I wouldn't pay half that for the service. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Look locally.</span> </div></div>

What he said.

If you don't feel comfortable taking the barrel off, how do you plan to get the new one on? Just get (or build) the barrel blocks yourself. Forget about an action wrench. Put the vice grips away.

Throw the thing away. You bungled it. There is no way is was bent that bad and now it is in line. That is besides the cold working that was performed on the metal. I would not touch that gun. Just because you can do it does not mean you should.

I told you the best way to remove a stuck barrel nut in your other thread. Go back and read my directions.

Remove the bolt, take the rest to a scrap yard. Stevens 200 for $250-$300, sell everything but the receiver, cut your losses, TAKE IT TO A SMITH! You obviously have no concept on what a tolerance is in the machining world...

Uh huh, then he puts another barrel on, fires a really hot load, and 4 months and a new face later he's on here saying he shoulda listened

Id like to see the range report. If it dose shoot strait and no one gets hurt. Good stuff.

You might want to think about investing in a new reciever.

He didn't mangle a load bearing part of the gun. It'll be safe just might not shoot straight. Oh and you might not be able to put a scope on it.

Today I mounted the EGW 20MOA base, Burris 30mm XTRs, and the SWFA SS10x42M. The holes for the base were perfectly aligned, the screws went in without a single hitch. Leveled the scope with the base (there was no difference here from before the receiver was bent). Bore-sighted for 50 yards. Will hopefully get to the range sometime next week to see if there are any accuracy problems. Aside from a scratch on the left (hidden from camera) side of the receiver caused by the wrench during untwisting, there is no lasting damage. Just have to see how she shoots, now.

2qivih2.jpg

34flg6b.jpg

I also checked the headspace again with a go and no go gauge just to be safe. Everything was fine there.

For your own good, and the good of anyone else that may come across this receiver, take a torch and cut it in half before you throw it out. There is no way to know how much damage has been done to that thing, write it off as a learning experience, and move on, as others have suggested, if you are going to continue to do your own "smithing", and you should, invest in the tools (good ones last a life time)to do the job right. Good for you, you're not afraid to get started, you just didn't get started with enough info.

Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened.

Your adventures would make a great 'Tragic Novel'

Chapter 1 : Epic FAIL
Chapter 2 : Darwin still at work
Chapter 3 [still to be written] : Epic FAIL again...this time someone gets hurt!

You are so far out of your lane that all I can do is shake my head and hope that you have some sense left and reread the advice already given.

This thread-- WITH THE SER # listed-- should be made a sticky so that any future buyers /owners of this action are aware.

...but that would require a responsible person!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

Thank you. I'm also confused by that line of thinking. The bolt guide rails to not contribute to anything except guiding the bolt. They do not bear the force load during recoil, and they do not contribute to chamber pressure. And the lugs lock in the front (unbent section). Even if I sawed it in half the weapon would still fire safely if the bolt was locked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

Thank you. I'm also confused by that line of thinking. The bolt guide rails to not contribute to anything except guiding the bolt. They do not bear the force load during recoil, and they do not contribute to chamber pressure. And the lugs lock in the front (unbent section). Even if I sawed it in half the weapon would still fire safely if the bolt was locked. </div></div>

That may be true, but even if it looks straight, its been bent, and bent back. I doubt it is perfect, and may produce unwanted tension, misalignment, trigger/sear engagement, ect. While anything is possible, I wish you a safe trip to the range, and hope it turns out to be not only a safe rifle, but if your lucky it might even shoot well. We await your return with the results. . . . . . . .

Ambulance ride to hospital-------------------------------------------------$567.23
ER surgery to stabilize patient----------------------------------------$104,576.04
Cost of 6 reconstruction surgery for lower jaw and right shoulder------$745,654.00
Lost wages for 4 months of rehab-----------------------------------------$10895.02

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">This Quote</span></span> [/quote] Even if I sawed it in half the weapon would still fire safely if the bolt was locked. [/quote]
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Priceless </span></span>

Just my 2 cents
Joe Dirte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

Thank you. I'm also confused by that line of thinking. The bolt guide rails to not contribute to anything except guiding the bolt. They do not bear the force load during recoil, and they do not contribute to chamber pressure. And the lugs lock in the front (unbent section). Even if I sawed it in half the weapon would still fire safely if the bolt was locked. </div></div>

That may be true, but even if it looks straight, its been bent, and bent back. I doubt it is perfect, and may produce unwanted tension, misalignment, trigger/sear engagement, ect. While anything is possible, I wish you a safe trip to the range, and hope it turns out to be not only a safe rifle, but if your lucky it might even shoot well. We await your return with the results. . . . . . . . </div></div>

I want to clarify: I'm not saying it's "good as new," I'm just saying that the part that was bent and unbent does not contribute to the SAFETY of the firing process. It may not be as accurate as before, and there may be tension on the scope base that also can affect accuracy. I'm just saying that from a safety standpoint, it's perfectly fine. I'll hopefully get some results up next week. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Brian

i dont diagree with you but i also am far from a gunsmith.im sure you even feel stupid for what you did but the forum your on has a lot of people on here that have a shit ton more experiance than you and you come here for there advice then you dont listen when they give it to you.you must have been out with mr.sheen last night.stop with the amature smithing and listen to the advice people are taking the time to give you.now destroy that fuckin reciever by another and find yourself a gunsmith for shitsake..

Personally if it was mine I'd cut my loss (chalk it up to a well s#@$) and get a new receiver. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it failing. But if by some chance it was safe to shoot I'd worry about the receiver being true if it wasn't true it might hurt you're accuracy. But I'm not a gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally if it was mine I'd cut my loss (chalk it up to a well s#@$) and get a new receiver. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it failing. But if by some chance it was safe to shoot I'd worry about the receiver being true if it wasn't true it might hurt you're accuracy. But I'm not a gunsmith. </div></div>

My plan is to see how it shoots. If accuracy has declined, I'll just slap it back in the factory stock and use it as a hunting rifle, then buy a new receiver for my actual build. If it shoots true, then I'll just keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

As I said " out of your lane"...now into oncoming!

Good luck and Godbless....you don't know what you don't know!

"If you have to ask the question then you wouldn't understand the answer"

use a long string for the first shot. and again, you have go/nogo and the barrel nut wrench, just but that wheeler vise or make one and do this right next time.

im serious about that string

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

As I said " out of your lane"...now into oncoming!

Good luck and Godbless....you don't know what you don't know!

"If you have to ask the question then you wouldn't understand the answer" </div></div>

Spoken like someone who truly doesn't know what they're talking about.

I say we just make a new sub-forum called "Rednecks with wrenches" and make this one a sticky.

While the part you bent and then unbent doesn't bear any load or pressure from the chamber when the round fires necessarily, that doesn't mean it is safe to fire. Ever seen the slow motion videos of the amount of flex the whole action takes when the round is fired? There is a lot of pressure on those parts from recoil. You may have just put stress on the 2 smallest pieces of metal in the action from work hardening or stressing them bending them cold. Those 2 little pieces hold together the "rings of steel" that give the action its strength as a whole. They fracture and seperate upon firing and now only the front action screw keeps them from coming back and smacking you in the kisser. Just my 2 cents but your face, your call.

i dont know buddy, even if it "looks" functional, doesnt mean that it is. i wouldnt fire it...

I think the point to all this- stated in many tones and variations-is that there's only a few hundred bucks in play here...

On the "surface", it may seem that nothing has been done to effect the safety of the firearm- but the fact remains that you DON'T know that, for certain. You're neither a metallurgist, nor a gunsmith.

Hope you (and the guy next to you at the range) don't get injured. Good luck with it, just don't ever sell the damn thing...

I would feel safer removing my Savage barrel, clamping the barrel in a vise, pushing a round in and hitting it with a hammer. I wish you the best of luck but I second the other guys that vote to cut your loss and move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the point to all this- stated in many tones and variations-is that there's only a few hundred bucks in play here...

On the "surface", it may seem that nothing has been done to effect the safety of the firearm- but the fact remains that you DON'T know that, for certain. <span style="color: #FF0000">You're neither a metallurgist, nor a gunsmith.
</span>
Hope you (and the guy next to you at the range) don't get injured. Good luck with it, just don't ever sell the damn thing...

</div></div>
Very well spoken. A bit of metallurgy 101.... Heat treated and stress relieved steel will NEVER return to form once it is cold worked beyond it's flexible limits, and creates a weak spot in said area. It will also pull other areas that are more rigid, making them weaker, not much, but still weaker, than originally done... Trash it, call it a loss, get another on and blaze away

This is not the first time that an action has been straightened after it has been bent. The rear of the action guides the bolt, and holds the trigger on the gun.

As far as the action snapping in half under pressure and flying up in your face when shot isn't going to happen. The direct force that acts on a gun is rearward. So even if it did split and come apart which it won't the the raceways will still butt up against each other. That little thing called the recoil lug is what keeps the action from flying out of the stock.

As far as the accuracy goes I think it will be fine. The way a Savage action works with the floating bolt head, stress on the action doesn't really matter like it would on a Remington.

Once again I would like to see <span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">1 expert</span></span> being someone who manufactures actions for a living say this is OK.

the OP you have about 20 people on multiple threads who have steered you away from this project, and only a small handful that say they think it is ok. Notice none of those who are condoning your "repair" have offered any type of compensation if it injures you.

Think about it this way: It would be cheaper to start with a new action than it will be to replace your barrel or stock if this thing does something only slightly funky...

Take off your blinders, listen to reason, and cut your losses. it's not FIXED, once metal is cold worked it will never go back to it's original specs/ strength and you are dealing with pressures over 50,000K even at minimum handloads. 200 bucks is cheap for a mistake.

Except that there is NO pressure on the bolt rails. NONE. Look at where he bent it.

Heading out to my property today. Only have access to 50 yard shooting, but should at least see how she shoots. When I post results maybe the people who have no concept of force load bearing will finally stop complaining. I took the action to the mechanical engineering lab I have access to at MTU just to make sure someone reputable agreed with me. All six professors and lab overseers agreed with my assessment that it would be perfectly safe. Hope to have results posted by the night.

then why did you even ask everybody if you werent gonna listen to what they said? why didnt you just fix it and not say anything? good luck either way man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the action to the mechanical engineering lab I have access to at MTU just to make sure someone reputable agreed with me. All six professors and lab overseers agreed with my assessment that it would be perfectly safe. Hope to have results posted by the night. </div></div>

Do you take your car to a Harley Davidson shop to get work done on it? How about you PM Stiller or C. Dixon or A10XRifle here on the hide. If one of those guys is that serious about a small cut to the magwell as found
here then I would like to see their opinion on your issue.

I think you had your own answer before you asked the question. I hope it works out for you, I really do. Personally, I have a wife and child I support and I wouldn't risk my ability to do that job on a 200 dollar part that I was to cheap to splurge for as part of my recreational hobby.

Best of luck to you when you take it out.