• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage bolt assembly problem

goldy1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
henderson, ky
ok, somehow I've messed up the assembly of my savage's bolt. it looks right,but its not acting right. i try to fire the rifle and it barely dents the primer, not even enough to fire it. I've tkaen it apart and reassembled it many time to try to figure out what i did wrong. according to the diagrams its right, but somethnigs obviously very wrong. i have a match in 2 weeks and can only go to the range on the weekends to test. its really stressing me out.

Re: savage bolt assembly problem

Check the cocking piece for the firing pin protrusion. Should be 0.030-0.035. Cocking piece could have gotten bumped ....back off the threads a little.

Pop

I think factory is around .050"

As for the problem, I think I know of something it might could maybe be but I cant explain it. Just take it apart again and really look at it. You'll figure out what stopping it.

after spending alot of time playing with it, i figured it out. the cocking piece (i think it's what it called)was screwed way to far out. it acctually poped off and the spring came off too. so after I fought it all back together i put the bolt back together and dry fired it and there was a very different sound. It sounds right. i'm gonna try it again at the range tommorrow. thanks for your help.
jason