• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage bolt handle removal

OptedOut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Would someone please state the procedural steps to removing (and re-installing if different) the bolt handle on the newer Savage bolts that do not have the hex on the end, the one with the cocking indicator.

Re: Savage bolt handle removal

You need to de-cock it by letting the button go forward and then you will have room to insert the Allen wrench.
The way I do it is place the Allen wrench so that the bolt handle and wench are at a 45 deg angle pointing down, the stomp it with you foot or cover it with a rag and use a soft face hammer.
Godzilla puts them on, so they are really tight.
After reassembly I use the side of a workbench to push up the button and a little twist to re-cock it.
Good Luck.

LeeH,
Thanks man...or how stupid could I be!

I've spoken with two companies that are here on SH and both told me they did not know how to take the newer bolt handles off and they did not have any bolt handles that would fit the newer bolts.

My idea is to take the bolt handle off, go into the machine shop and re-work the current bolt knob, it's the large one (on a 10FLCP-K) and it barely clears the scope.

Although we got if taken care of via PM.
For those that might be wondering...The old bolt handles WILL
fit the new one's and versa visea.

godzilla runs the wrench, mothra holds the bolt, geez. it popped like a shot. had to use the size 13w foot wrench. POP! i bought an aftermarket knob. kinda not liking it so back to factory.

how do you remove the bolt head on a savage rifle

Remove the screw in the rear of the bolt assembly, remove the cocking sleeve and cocking cam follower, remove the striker assembly, push the crosspin out. Falls out in your hands.