• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage bolt head swap ?'s

Blackhawk95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2008
Mississippi
Hello,

Ive got a Savage target action that im using chambered in 6.5x47L, and want to do a switch barrel setup and have it chambered in 7saum.

Ive seen where numerous people have built magnums by swapping the bolt head. I have bought all the parts i need but my firing pin is a bit too short.

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what it takes to do the swap im talking about?

Thanks,
jerid

Re: Savage bolt head swap ?'s

It seems the mag bolt head is a little bit longer than the standard bolt head. and the firing pin is just a bit too short.

I know ive seen many of the target actions converted to a magnum bolt head and im trying to figure out exactly what parts are needed to do the swap.

Ok, i figured it out. if you disassemble the bolt and firing pin assembly you can adjust the amount of firing pin protrustion in or out to make up the .060" different between the standard and mag bolt heads..

You got it Blackhawk, just adjust it a bit, I did the same conversion. However, Geargrinder, in the short action there is not a mag bolt face available that is push feed, they were all control feed bolt faces on the short action to reliably feed the short fat wsm cartridges. The Long action mag bolt face will not fit the short action unless you had it machined down. The one I built for my friend you just have to pull the spent shell with your finger. Fairly simple I guess.

JWV, that used to be true but Savage changed from control feed to push feed with the new center feed rifles. I recieved today from Savage one push feed short action magnum bolt head, baffle, and longer firing pin. A new baffle is needed as the new push feed magnum bolt head has .560 lugs instead of .500, and that is also the need for the longer firing pin. Just have to get that 7mm saum barrel and will have all parts for my kids new rifle.

Ok guys thanks for the info.

Im guessing ive got the wrong bolt head or firing pin as after i adjust the firing pin it still isnt long enough. its just long enough to sit flush with the bolt face. I have a CRF bolt head and you can see that the stem is just a bit longer than the STD bolt head i have now. i need about .050" to get it to work.

So, im thinking about taking it off the back of the stem. but, i dont really like the CRF bolt head as it uses a blade type ejector.

Any ideas or correct part numbers would help.

Jerid

I would just buy a long action magnum bolt head and shorten it, I did this to one and had proper firing pin protrusion when I was done. I only ordered the other parts to be able to compare differences. It is cheaper to just shorten the LA bolt head. The earlier CRF bolt heads had .500 lugs just like a long action magnum bolt head.

I actually have both a LA push feed head and the SA CRF head. from the looks both have slightly larger lugs than the bolt head i have now.

I had allready thought about machining the end down to fit.

I may try to do that next week.