• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Bolt Improvement

Ibelieve1776

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2013
Jupiter, FL
Ive been researching info on getting by bolt to operate smoother. Ive read some guys have cut a couple coils off of the firing pin spring to reduce bolt lift, which isnt really a concern to me since I have a tactical handle. Im really interested in getting the reciprocating motion slicker like a Remington. My bolt tends to bind unless I work it perfectly which eliminates speed. Please let me know what you done and what the results were. Please lets not turn this into a Remington vs Savage thread either, I think we can all agree they are both great.

Try some slickery gun grease, I guarantee it will make things better. A friend had a 770 with a god awful bolt and I put some on the bolt, if you were blind folded you would think it was a high price gun after cycling the bolt.

You could buy a lift kit or make your own and install it. Take some of the radius off of the cocking ramp. Cutting the firing pin would be the last thing that I'd do, just because thats me. None of my Savages have been messed with, some smother then others. My Tac rifle and my single shot model 12 are both smooth, simply because they have been shot the most.

I made a paste w/tooth polish and jewlers rouge (Midway sells it to help speed up brass polishing,looks like a dk.red powder) to polish metal to metal contact before I retired from office equip.svc.Worked the two parts (cycle the bolt), After that cleaned it good & lubed it w/graphite grease. Made things slick as ...well you know. Go easy it might surprise you. scpaul

Stockade/Kevin Rayhill bolt lift kit.

Grease.

Cycle the thing a few thousand times.

Send it to Rahill or Fred Moreo for a time/true job.

Buy a Remington.

Stockade/Kevin Rayhill bolt lift kit.

Grease.

Cycle the thing a few thousand times.

Send it to Rahill or Fred Moreo for a time/true job.

Buy a Remington.

Kevin Rahill for the bolt lift kit AND the true & time. Send your rifle to Moreo at your own peril. Lots of all too true horror stories about SSS. Kevin is a great guy to deal with that keeps his word. That cannot be said for SSS.

Oh I won't do anything with SSS due to a prior experience. Customer service is virtually nonexistent

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Lapp then polish every rotating part, lap and polish the cocking ramp and cocking piece, instal a bolt handle with more leverage, lubricate ramp, cocking piece and bolt lugs with high temp moly grease or CV joint grease.

I've looked at the Stockade bolt lift kit before, how much of a difference does it make?

I've looked at the Stockade bolt lift kit before, how much of a difference does it make?

By itself, it isnt a huge difference but it does smooth out the operation. The timing job, longer bold handle, and lift kit will do wonders for it.

IMO, the bolt lift kit isn't some panacea that instantly makes it a one-finger bolt lift, but it does noticeably reduce effort.