• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage break-in barrel

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Well, I`ll be heading to the range this coming week for the first time with my brand spanking new Savage 10FCP 5R . This thing comes with a 5R 1:11.25" twist and 24" fluted barrel and a very nice factory muzzle brake . The rifle has been cleaned and lubed already and the action /bolt , etc work perfectly .
Since I want to do things right from the beginning , I would like to learn the correct way to clean the barrel at the break-in ... I read some very different procedures , with some stating that it is not necessary , that it is a waste of time , etc etc ... How should be done correctly ? Need some help on this Thanks

Re: Savage break-in barrel

We just put together a new Savage mod 11 in 260 with a 28" Shilen select match barrel. Set the headspacing, got it zeroed for 200 yards using up maybe 40 or 50 rounds to get 2 good loads and off to the range we went with our trusty JBM chart. We shot 80+ rounds at targets ranging from 234 yards to 1000 yards. No cleaning, no break in and between the two of us getting sight settings with two different loads using JBM we missed 8 shots total. A couple tweaks to the chart to center up and some misses due to us shooting at ridiculously small targets at some of the stations.

Just go shoot the thing, it'll let you know when it needs cleaned. We've never played the "breaking in the barrel" thing on any of our competition guns. Just my opinion but it seems to work for us but some folks need to follow a set of procedures to feel they are doing it right. Is it needed or not? No idea and you'll get responses varying from Absolutely to what are you talking about.

Topstrap

Your barrel will break in on it's own.
All that is required is that you shoot it.

Saying that, I would clean it after the first couple of range trips.

A good, coated cleaning rod, bore guide, cotton patches, a proper sized jag, hoppes #9 and any one of the several foaming bore cleaners (wipe out, gun slick etc...)

When you get home from the range, run a #9 soaked patch through the bore, followed by dry patch. Fill the bore with foam (muzzle end lower than action). Let the foam sit overnight. Run a dry patch through it in the morning, followed by a hoppes soaked patch followed by one or two dry patches.

You're done.

Don't over clean, don't run brushes through it.
After the first couple of range trips, the bore will begin to smooth out. Only clean when accuracy degrades.

FWIW......

I have done barrel break in in my last 4 target rifles.

Fire one shot and clean. Tried to do this for the first 20 rounds. Sometimes I've gotten to 15 ish rounds and said "to heck with it" andjust started shooting.

Does it make a differnce? Who knows.....

Theory is that tooling marks (factory guns) may have some high spots where copper may build up untill it smooths out. If not cleaned, the copper builds up quite a bit. Then tougher to clean later.

In theory.......

buy a good lapped barrel and its practically broken in for you. i just started shooting mine and it was SS. them were the ones i heard needed the most break in due to the metals grain after rifling, but thats just what i heard from a smith that builds nice stuff locally.

If it makes you feel better then follow some break in procedure of your barrel written by someone like an anal retentive benchrest shooter. Psychologically, you will feel like you did the right thing.

The fact of the matter is that the metallurgy and machining in today's modern rifle barrel is so good that a regimented break in procedure is not needed or required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it makes you feel better then follow some break in procedure of your barrel written by someone like an anal retentive benchrest shooter. Psychologically, you will feel like you did the right thing.

The fact of the matter is that the metallurgy and machining in today's modern rifle barrel is so good that a regimented break in procedure is not needed or required. </div></div>

Yes... I know me , so I will do some light break-in procedure on the first and second shot... That will make me feel that I am doing the correct thing .
Thanks so much ...

Does Savage list anything on their website about needing to break in the barrel on their rifles? Was there anything in the box that stated it needed to be done or how to do it? I got a GAP AR10 and it came with barrel break in procedures. Shoot 1rd-clean, repeat for 10rds, shoot 5shot groups-clean, repeat for 25rds and it's done. Does it really matter, I don't know, but I've never done that on any other rifle and they shoot very well, so I guess it depends on the barrel manufacturer's recommendations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Savage list anything on their website about needing to break in the barrel on their rifles? Was there anything in the box that stated it needed to be done or how to do it? I got a GAP AR10 and it came with barrel break in procedures. Shoot 1rd-clean, repeat for 10rds, shoot 5shot groups-clean, repeat for 25rds and it's done. Does it really matter, I don't know, but I've never done that on any other rifle and they shoot very well, so I guess it depends on the barrel manufacturer's recommendations. </div></div>
The Savage manual details how to clean the rifle after shooting , but not a word about a break-in procedure ... I guess that Savage doesn`t believe in break-in procedures

The more you squeeze bullets down the barrel, the faster it will be "broken in"

Shoot it a bit, to get your zero. clean it. Do load development 20-100 rounds, clean it. Then just shoot it. Cleaning is a great way to mess up a barrel if done improperly and unnecessarily.
T

GAP... and everyone else that knows shit about barrels... only "recommend" a break in procedure because all the FNGs, that have heard "Uncle Ed" say it, think it just has to be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Problomatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is from the savage site....

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/proceduresbarrelbreakin/

Though they just copied it from shooting times magazine.... </div></div>

Well...I can only guess that Savage forgot to include that on their manuals ... (?)

I asked a Savage tech about this on the phone just for grins. He said "our barrels don't require a break-in but if you want to do it anyways, the link is on our site".

I just cleaned mine really good the first time as it was quite dirty. Then shot some rounds to get sighted in...once I saw a decent amount of copper built up, I cleaned it and did that a few times over..it seems to foul much much less than before. I don't know if that's a break in or not but it made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Wow, we go over this all the time. And people who don't even understand the processes of how different barrels are made always feel free to comment on how stupid it is.

First, in todays day and age, the "processes" we use to make barrels is much better than it was ten and especially even twenty years ago. Except for Remington and Winchester who still insist the worst way to make barrels is the best, hammer forging. Hammer forging creates the most stress in a barrel when being made. Followed by button type and least of the stress inducers is 'cut-rifled' Cut-rifling also seems to last the longest. When button rifling is used and moved continuously through the bore to form the rifling (they use multiple buttons of different sizes, multiple passes) it creates less stress points. If it is 'pounded' through the bore it will leave all kinds of stress points. Everywhere it starts and stops.

Savage uses a 'button-pull rifling' method that induces a lot less stress into the barrels. They also normalize, straighten, and machine lap the barrels before they install them.

Here's where the rubber meets the road as far as breaking in your Savage rifle. Since it has been machine lapped, a lot of the 'swipe' left from cutting the chamber will have already been removed. When you clean after the first few (1 to as many as 20 shots) you are giving the powder plasma a direct shot at that metal hanging around the leading edes of your lands. If you don't remove the copper build-up on them from the very first you aren't giving it the chance to work. The plasma hits the built up copper instead of the steel. <span style="font-weight: bold">All you are really doing is giving the powder plasma a direct shot onto the steel of the throat area. </span>

That said about todays barrel making processes, again there is very little left nowdays. Your break-in isn't going to take a lot of rounds. It also means that the best you are going to improve your shooting is maybe up to .2" If you normally shoot under a 1/4" then it might make sense to do that. If you normally hold around .5 moa, it might make sense to do that. But, if you are just looking for sub-moa, which is every bit all you need for tactical shooting, don't bother with it. Shoot it and clean it right and it will come down to it's best accuracy in it's own good time.

This is where I like to say, if you are a benchrester, it will make a difference. If you are a tactical shooter, I doubt it will make a difference.

You would really be wasting your time. Just shoot the piss out of it and then clean it. That factory barrel is going to foul like a SOB for 400-600 rounds anyway. Just get that round count up. After owning about 8 Savages, ask me why I don't bother with the proper break procedure anymore.

My experience says just shoot it. Having owned more than a few savages, just shoot till accuracy falls off. That is what I do with all my rifles.

A savage from the factory "should" shoot good. When you are done for the day, get GOOD cleaning equipment (coated rod for YOUR caliber, bore guide, good cleaning solvent-I like hoppes #9). Run a few soaked patches through with the muzzle lower than the chamber. Let set for 5-15 minutes then run a few dry patches down until dry. If the next range session shows crappy results (even after a few foulers), then consult someone that knows how to really clean a bore and get rid of any copper fouling.

This is my process on all my rifles and I shoot with good to great results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience says just shoot it. Having owned more than a few savages, just shoot till accuracy falls off. That is what I do with all my rifles.

A savage from the factory "should" shoot good. When you are done for the day, get GOOD cleaning equipment (coated rod for YOUR caliber, bore guide, good cleaning solvent-I like hoppes #9). Run a few soaked patches through with the muzzle lower than the chamber. Let set for 5-15 minutes then run a few dry patches down until dry. If the next range session shows crappy results (even after a few foulers), then consult someone that knows how to really clean a bore and get rid of any copper fouling.

This is my process on all my rifles and I shoot with good to great results. </div></div>
No brushing at all ?

aye shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean shoot 5 clean less, shoot 5 clean less shoot 5 clean less. Keep up till copper fouling reduces. Another important thing is do not get her too hot. shoot three, run patch with copper solv in, let sit 5-10 and brush 10 times , run patches till dry and clean. make sure you use a bore guide. Those that say they never clean till end of season do not shoot much or are full of bs regards groupage then wonder why they miss the deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aye shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean shoot 5 clean less, shoot 5 clean less shoot 5 clean less. Keep up till copper fouling reduces. Another important thing is do not get her too hot. shoot three, run patch with copper solv in, let sit 5-10 and brush 10 times , run patches till dry and clean. make sure you use a bore guide. Those that say they never clean till end of season do not shoot much or are full of bs regards groupage then wonder why they miss the deer. </div></div>

I agree, I am a firm beleaver in barrel break in, even Companies like Krieger Barrel say to do it.

Guys , I have a brass cleaning rod . Can I use it or it is mandatory to use a coated rod on the Savage ? I have been using it on my ARs and on my AKs for long time but I am new to precision shooting and these types of rifles , so I am asking

No brushing so far. I have 350 rounds through a savage 10 fcp-k HS and never once brushed it. Still shoots 1" every time I go out with it.

My 300 winmag shoots 500 yard steel (6" plates) 1st time everytime using this cleaning regimine. That rifle has 328 through it at this time.

I did the shoot/clean/shoot/clean thing on my Savage for 10-15 rounds and got super sick of it. Fired off the last 5 in my box of ammo and went home and cleaned it. Mind you, it was very coppery EVERY TIME - even after one shot.

After that, I'd clean every range session, which was usually 20-40 rounds. Always coppery.

At about 500-750 rounds, I read to nit bother cleaning until accuracy dropped off. That took a little over 500 rounds. When it did drop off, I thought my rifle was fucked up at first until I remembered I hadn't cleaned in over 500 rounds. I cleaned it up, accuracy was restored, and it hasnt coppered up badly again.

So: In my case, I don't think the "break in" did a damn thing...it still needed lots and lots of rounds before settling in. Would I do it again? Yes. In some cases, you can see your barrel break in and copper up less. We could actually see my buddies bartlein settle in, based on how blue patches were coming out, over the course of the first 20-30 rounds.

Based on this, my advice is to start the breakin procedure, and pay attention to what your barrel is telling you. If it says "I'm getting better - keep going"....then keep going! If it says "That ain't doing a damn thing for me"...then quit bothering and just shoot it.

and i never change the oil in my truck either
smile.gif
funny how things just always fall ass backwards into place all the time. Research done time and time again has shown if it is good to clean a gun or not. funny how the same guys that claim this bs go to the range and when someone else is around the dang gun just will not shoot. Cannot figure it out. it is indeed wierd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and i never change the oil in my truck either
smile.gif
funny how things just always fall ass backwards into place all the time. Research done time and time again has shown if it is good to clean a gun or not. funny how the same guys that claim this bs go to the range and when someone else is around the dang gun just will not shoot. Cannot figure it out. it is indeed wierd </div></div>

Was this directed at me? I sure hope not...

^ What Turbo said. The guys who have owned a lot of Savages will tell you time and time again that the perfect break in procedure for a savage is shooting the piss out of it between cleanings. The reason companies like Kreiger have a break in procedure even listed is to keep people from perpetually asking what to do about break in. Its all to ease your mind.

Here is a page with SH links to a lot of break in threads

<span style="font-weight: bold">Links</span> <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><--</span></span>

Here is one for barrel cleaning

<span style="font-weight: bold">More links <span style="color: #CC0000"><--</span></span>

Even most of the top of the line barrel makers have totally different barrel break in (or lack of) and cleaning routines. So good luck choosing what you will do.

Thanks for the links!