• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage chamber- Federal brass?

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
So I rebarrelled my model 12 that was .223 into .308 win with a buddies .308 barrel off a model 10 tactical. We did the standard go-nogo head spacing and the yard. I went to range today to test it out. Fired one round and went for my second and bolt stuck at about 45 degrees and would not come in or out. So luckily I had my other 700 there that I could perform some trigger therapy and not lay at the range and cry. I came home and gave the bolt knob a few loving taps with a rubber mallet and out popped my round. So I decided to check some other rounds, I put some winchester sized and prepped brass in and all cycled in and out fine. Then tried some sized and prepped lake city.......all smooth. So I thought maybe it was a loaded around thing, I put in a loaded LC round......in and out smooth. Put in a winchester loaded brass round.....smooth. Went back to the 10 rounds I brought to the range for zeroing that all happened to be Federal brass and sure as shit they all got jammed up. Is the chamber on a savage that tight?

Hmmm. would like to know this as well. Federal is pretty thick stuff. You could find a friend with a case neck turner and take off .001 at a time to see when the Federal stuff will function. I'm not at all a source for information but after loading for while I've come to like the softer brass. Right now I have a Savage M10 fcp in 22-250 and bought a case of Hornady brass to run with this rifle. I have a Redding Deluxe die set so as to neck size with and have all 49 piece formed, neck sized only, and loaded for load development. Out of 50 I had on piece with a split neck/shoulder. Loading for .308 once, I had an assortment of brass and the Federal stuff was just hard as hell to get in and out of the Full Length sizer die....so I stopped using it.

Scratching my head here...how did you put a small shank (1.055") barrel off of a Model 10 Tactical onto a large shank (1.120") Model 12 Target Action receiver? Model 10=Small Shank, Model 12=Large Shank

The Barrel fit fine and we checked with our local smith before we screwed it on, it head spaced fine. And from what I see everything from Federal comes in and out fine, I will need to go to range again and test some other ammo but from garage tests with prepped brass and loaded brass.

The mass majority of my brass I have is once fired lake city from Base. It all seemed to cycle well I don't think I have more than maybe 50 or so federal so it will be pretty easy to steer clear of that brass. Just wondering.

YES......I obviously replaced the bolt face from .223 to .308, I thought that went without saying.

Model 12 varmint is small shank, model12 target is large shank. Is this new fed brass? Did u work this load up for that barrel? Is this fed load oal set up for ur 700? The freebore on 700 308 chamber is stupid long, savage chambers are usually shorter freebore so that oal can fit in mag but also get the ogive close to the lands. Remington's throat is close to the crown on their 308.lol

It is a Model 12 varmint in small shank so that would explain why barrel fit thanks 6Br..... I Just trimmed the brass to standard length, I hadn't been able to work up a load on it. I had to install extractor and replace the bolt face parts on the bolt so I wanted to take it out to range and just fire a few rounds through it make sure everything worked before I started up a load. I don't even really have a dedicated scope yet.

I only fire one round before I tried to load one of those federals that stuck and wont let me open or close the bolt.

What chamber was this brass fired in before you stuck it in the Savage? That will probably answer your question...it probably had expansion around the case-head. You may have to shoot those in your Remington and then use a small base die.

Yeah it was fired though my Remington, a buddy of mine already mentioned whenever he uses federal he has to run it through his SB die. I think I will just leave it for the Remington. I only neck sized the brass. We will see. Thanks for all the posts.