• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Conversion

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
I have a few Savage model 10s in 308 that I bought when I first started shooting. One is a Ashbury Precision.I now moved on to Impact Precicion/Manners in my 308 so was thinking of converting the 308 Ashbury into a 223.I know it will need a barrel change but what about the bolt?Can I just get the bolt face and use the existing bolt body or will the whole bolt need to be changed?Was thinking of sending the bolt to PTG and have them make it into one of their bolts but beyond that dont know where else to look.

Reactions: 338dude
Yes, new barrel and bolt head I did it to my 6.5, the 7 saum now and forever a .223. Not a huge PTG fan but if the have it in stock it should work fine.

The 223 also has a different bolt baffle that is longer, to reduce the length of the bolt stroke. I use it when I put the 223 barrel on the gun, but I have the part already. Looks like Midway doesn't stock the stainless one, it shows out of stock, backorder ok. Midway

You can change out the bolt head. Midway has some reference articles online for parts fit. Midway also used to sell complete replacement bolts. That’s what I bought. I think I had to buy extractor and ejector, not included for some reason.