• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Custom Shop???

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Guys, I would considering having Savage build me a custom rifle but I don't know anyone that has ever used them. Does anyone have any experience with their "Custom Shop"?
Thoughts?
Thanks, Brandon

Re: Savage Custom Shop???

It is not a true custom shop. They will mix and match parts on hand so you can have a non standard gun.

It is not a horrible deal and there is usually a small upcharge over the msrp of the model you are modifying.

Just do some research and order the parts and put it together on your kitchen table and gain some bragging rights. Don't need anything fancy to assemble it and it'll shoot way above what you'd expect for the price.

We just finished one for my son and doing another now for me. Great choice, these aren't the Savages we remember from the old days, these are top notch guns that will get you right up in the mix at any match.

Topstrap

I agree with the others. Buy the action and parts "You" want for your rifle. These rifles are really pretty easy to put together. That way you get to tell folks you built it and it's exactly what you wanted.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Hell you don't even need a garage. I have put together all of my savages and my buddies savages in my college apartment bedroom.

Buy the action vise

Buy they barrel nut wrench

Buy your go gage only(no go gage is made by putting piece of clear tape on the go gage and trimming off the excess w/ a razor)

Buy a custom barrel that has the barrel profile/twist/length you want

Buy a nice stock off here or from a vendor here

Put it all together and it will be a hammer and you put it together by yourself.

Well the idea of building it myself I am okay with. I have never built a bolt action. I have put together plenty of AR platforms, so I will give it a try. I am looking at 6x47, is their anyone in paticular you guys reccomend to buy the barrel from?

Thanks for all the replies, Brandon

Sin Arms - Brux, maybe L-W
Jim Briggs Northland Shooting Supply Krieger/Criterion, Shilen, McGowen
Sharp Shooter Supply Brux, Douglas
Benchmark barrels

If you truly meant 6x47, SSS lists that reamer on their site. I would personally go Brux, cut rifling.

Thanks for all the information. I have dealt with SSS before, they are really good to deal with. I am wanting to with the 6x47L. Before it's built I may change my mind again.
I have a .308, wanting something with a little less recoil.

Brandon

I built a few rifles with them, basically replicating an existing design in other calibers (the Savage Euro Classic series, now discontinued).

Cost is up to your dealer - they sell the rifles at a slight markup, but mention an MSRP to your dealer. I'm guessing 99% of the time that is what he charges, but mine told me what it cost him and as I did all the work he basically treated it as a transfer (+ taxes of course, as it was a sale instead of a real transfer)

I'd use them if I thought their catalogue line didn't provide what I really wanted. I'd let my dealer initiate the order and provide me with his own as-delivered pricing. I honestly believe my own particular dealer would give me the best pricing available.

But those concepts I might want that they don't offer are rapidly becoming nonexistant. About the only area I think they may be lacking in right now is a .280 Rem chambering.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd use them if I thought their catalogue line didn't provide what I really wanted. I'd let my dealer initiate the order and provide me with his own as-delivered pricing. I honestly believe my own particular dealer would give me the best pricing available.

But those concepts I might want that they don't offer are rapidly becoming nonexistant. About the only area I think they may be lacking in right now is a .280 Rem chambering.

Greg </div></div>

True story that they have most every option covered. As far as ordering through a dealer there is pretty much zero markup on the "custom" guns so sometimes it is easier to just have them deliver it for you.