• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage DBM / CDI REPORT

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I shoot a Savage 300 win. I started thinking I wanted a DBM to simplify unloading and loading in the field. It looks cool too. After lengthy research and a few PM's I gave Jeff at CDI a call. He said he could do the DBM no problem, I asked if he needed the rifle or if just the stock would be OK. He explained to me that the action screws might need to be shortened and that the receiver might need to have some milling done to it to allow the bullets to feed at the proper angle. He said that it only took a minor amount of skill to accomplish. His advise rang with the confidence of a true craftsman. I was nervous about a machinist of my caliber grinding on my baby. I sent just the stock, no guts, no glory, plus it was cheaper to send just the stock. I figured I had plenty of time to think this operation thru and eliminate any chance of failure. I was dead wrong. Jeff had the stock and bottom metal back to me very fast. It looked awesome, very fine machine work. I hadn't even figured out how I was going to start the grinding process. Another phone call to Jeff, more words of wisdom and I was ready. I bought a right angle attachment for the Dremel and a carbide bit. Milled a cresent shaped groove in the action to facilitate bullet feed (210 Bergers) put it back together. Loaded mag and cycled the bolt hard and fast a few times, no problem. Tipped rifle upside down and cycled bolt many times no problem. Loaded and unloaded, slapped mag in pulled it out many times. I couldn't make it fail. Jeff is a consumate proffessional. What a great option to have when your guide insists the rifle remains unloaded and a great option when you come in for the night and you can just pop the mag out to unload. It looks cool too. I will add Jeff's bottom metal to all my Savage's.

Re: Savage DBM / CDI REPORT

Thanks for the report, I just got my AI mag in for my .300WM with my CDI Bottom Metal, do you have any pics of the work you did?

I will try to get pics tomorrow night. I am charging camera as we speak.

I have this same kit the original poster has, and my biggest problem with this kit is how much space you loose on the rear of the loading port. If the bottom metal was designed for the magazine to be oriented in the same location as a factory mag, no cuts would be needed on the feed ramp. There is just too much space at the back of the mag.
IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0192_2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures. But you should be able to see that if the magazine utilized space to the rear, the grinding in the front wouldn't be necessary. I switched my stock order last minute to go back to the internal mag until I find a suitable replacement.

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

I am a tech idiot so here goes nothing.