• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage DBM.. Part Deux..

CDiPrecision

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Well, I was fooling around after getting parts to anodizer. I still have the Prototype in my rifle.. so I did a little (very little) extra work, and looks like this may be doable.. Input??.

SavageAIAW1.JPG

SavageAIAW2.JPG

SavageAIAW3.JPG

Re: Savage DBM.. Part Deux..

Dude if thats a 14 mag please change my order!! I only have 3 M14's and I have lots of mags. Please Please Please.
grin.gif

Appears to be an AW mag. I am assuming that is still the newer center feed model. I wonder if the same work would be needed for an older savage staggered feed. BTW nice work. Let us know when the staggered feed production is starting.

If that is an M1A mag and its for the 4.25" Savage im all over it PLEASE LET IT BE!!!

Check this link out...

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/accessories_list.php#2

AI = accuracy international AW = the magazine in .308

Jeff,
So is there a way to see how it fits on the 4.25" staggered feed, instructions to put it on due to the magazine is fixed to the receiver on those models?

And you also I ordered a B&C stock, its coming form FL haha go figure but you do the cutting of that for a price right?

The AICS magazines are a center feed design. The AI-AW mags are a stagger feed(Like AR-15 mags) they are alot wider and that can cause some problems with feeding(in NON AI_AW Rifles). Also it is hard to fit it into most guns as they are wide.

I like the fact that the AW mag is shorter, in fact now seeing and understanding the difference I would prefer the AW mag over the AE. Would the mags be the same price? Because if it is I would rather have the stagger mag instead of the center feed.

My rifle is an older stagger feed if that matters.

Yes. It has had a little milling for clearance,.. but not a ton.. it wont hurt strength and you cant see it.

Ill get pricing for the AI-AW mags, and I need to order a new one for testing purposes.

Jeff,

If you use a non-aw mag do you still have the mod the receiver?

In your other post which mag do you use a AICS mag or AI-AE?

Do you have to mill off the magazine if you have the one that is attached to the receiver?

That goes with it even using the internal fixed box mag that is attached to the receiver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1troubleshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if you have the staggered feed ( blind mag or internal mag ) Jeff's DBM, which use's AIC'S mags will work. </div></div>

Yes that is the savage I have, unless i am really stupid but what i am trying to find out is what happens to the internal box mag that is attached to the receiver? do I have to cut it off or it stays there? Trying to picture how to install the bottom metal and kit...

there are 2 tabs that hold the mag to the receiver . on my stagger feed i had to cut it out. Jeff's DBM will be held in by the action screws. so yes you will have to remove it.

Ahh that is what im looking for...so once you have a DBM its a done deal no going to part out the rifle.

You do not have to cut them out. They simply pop out with a quick tap with a rubber mallet or use a wooden dowel. To remove it place the dowel where the mag meets the receiver on the front of the magazine and give it a sharp whack and it will pop out. If you wish to reinstall do the same however place the front of the mag in the receiver and hit the back side in the same spot.

birddog is probably correct on the removal. i just hacked mine out. and yes once it is removed with the DBM installed you are good to go.

Nice, now I am really considering it I just want my B&C stock...its on back order 6 weeks...

Do you know if Jeff can inlet the B&C stocks? haha should I have the stock sent to him instead?

Is that a center or stagger feed in the pic? I measured from center to center at about 4 3/8". 4.275" is stagger and 4.40" is center. Any idea what I have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a center or stagger feed in the pic? I measured from center to center at about 4 3/8". 4.275" is stagger and 4.40" is center. Any idea what I have? </div></div>

Depends on how you measured it...caliber or tape measure. One way to make sure is you can take the stock off and if you have a internal box magazine attached to the receiver its a 4-1/4" and if is not than its the 4-3/8". Also you can tell if you load rounds in if they stagger = 4-1/4" and if not than its a 4-3/8".

The rounds stagger but I dont think the mag is part of the stock. Mine looks like the one pictured when it's loaded. I measured with a tape measure.

Staggerfeed if the mag box stays with the action when removed. Center feed the mag stays in the stock when the action is removed.

YEEHAW!!!!!!! I'll be getting AW mags for my savage!

Will the AW setup still accept AICS mags?

AW mags are about the same height as 5 rd AICS mags but hold 10 rds. They also allow a longer Cartridge length.

so the question is, will you be offering the milling services for fitting the AW mags? the only thing that has been keeping me from getting your DBM is the OAL limitations of the AICS mags. with an AW option, i'm in (pending price). what will the total package run (bottom metal, inlet, AW mag, and mill work)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jr81452</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so the question is, will you be offering the milling services for fitting the AW mags? the only thing that has been keeping me from getting your DBM is the OAL limitations of the AICS mags. with an AW option, i'm in (pending price). what will the total package run (bottom metal, inlet, AW mag, and mill work)? </div></div>

What is the max oal in the AICS mags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so what is the big difference/benefit of AW over AICS mags? </div></div>

And if necessary you can top feed them while they are in the rifle.

Ill definately opt of the AW version after seeing all of this.

I have been swamped with catching up from my machine failure. I will continue to work on this and let you know what I think.

My mission is to see if it will work on an unmolested magazine.

The mag may require some dicking with to get it to work, and that doesn't always work for everyone. IF you like to play and tune things, it may be for you..:)

I personally would rather not have to mess with the mags. But if that ends up being the only option so be it.

Right now the only options I know of for AW mags other than buying an AIAW are the M2008 and the Phoenix machine action RD precision has been working on.

My lowly salvage set me back about what a M2008 action costs and it came with an A5. I want to put a good tube on it but it shoots too good to mess with. AW mags would just be icing on the cake!!