• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage drop in barrel options

Griffin4590

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
Looking to re barrel my savage 10 from .308 to 6.5cm or .260
Who makes a good barrel that I can get ready to install. I have the tools for the job I just dont have the machine tools to finish a blank. What are my options?

Re: Savage drop in barrel options

Criterion, from Northland Shooters Supply.

SavageContours-1.jpg

I have a 26" varmint contour 8 twist 260 Rem Criterion barrel on a 10FP action and it is fantastic. $280 + shipping for the same barrel today.

Jim Briggs @ NSS has a bunch in stock, and can order you whatever length, contour, and options (fluting, threads, etc.) you would want should he not have it on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM member Ouch!!!

he has a 260 prefit for sale </div></div>
PM sent!! hope this works out!

I just ordered a CBI 6.5 creedmoor prefit from Northland Shooters supply. i heard they're great barrels

+1 for Jimm at NSS. My .260 CBI is a real shooter. You will not be sorry. I may be calling for another shortly, this time 6mm BR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Criterion as good as Shilen?</div></div>

probably depends on the grade of Shilen...

but they're direct competitors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM member Ouch!!!

he has a 260 prefit for sale </div></div>
PM sent!! hope this works out! </div></div>.

I txt Ed him. Letting him know u wanted this

CBI is part of Krieger barrels....should be good stuff. I've purchased two McGowen prefits. One was through Jim at Northland and one was from McGowen direct. Both barrels are decent...probably a notch below the better Shilen barrels or maybe CBI.

One other option you might want to entertain is ordering one from Sinman...or Sinarms. He's on this site...he does pre-fit barrels. I've got a Brux .308 on order for my BVSS....hope to have it some time this spring.

I'm thinking we'll have more options to choose from as the popularity of Savage increases.

Wayne

I've used several PacNor and they are fantastic.. you can get in whatever length,caliber,profile,crown,twist you want.

I have a Shilen select match in 6.5 creedmoor that consistently shoots .75 moa or better. I also just got a CBI in .223 wylde that i put on a new build yesterday and the first group I shot measured .336 at 100 yards. Both barrels came from Jim at Northland.

also, there is about a 24+ page long thread on savage shooters that is just reviews of CBI barrels. I think out of all the ones i read were positive and no bad ones.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Looks like I'm getting the barrel from Ouch!!!! Thanks FM for the info on that!

I have a CBI 260 26". Great barrels. Some friends of mine have several Savage Shilen Select Match and the CBI runs almost identical to them.

I went with CBI just to see how it staked up to the Shilen and so far works awesome.

Have ran my 260 all the way out to 1100yds.