• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Ejection Issue

willymo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
Started shooting PRS with my Savage model 10 in 308. Shot a few matches and a lot of targets with Eagle Eye ammunition. I began to have some ejection issues. Basically just releasing on top of the mag and not throwing them out. So I built a new rifle in a Defiance action. The savage has sat for a while because of this issue. I took the bolt apart and cleaned everything, No change. I just installed the SSS upgraded extraction/ejector kit, and it is "better" but not like it was, still inconsistent. Has anyone else had this issue, and what did you do to fix it?

You have already fixed it. You bought a Defiance.

I did the same thing. Built a semi custom savage and shot under 300 rounds with it. Started having ejection and extraction issues almost immediately. Sold it and haven’t looked back.

Reactions: 260284
That's great. You guys know your fucking shit.

I had a flat tire once. Sold the truck and bought a new one.

Never looked back. Been great ever since.
That’s what they tell me about my 20 years old jeep. The easiest fix is to take the tires off and roll something else in it’s place and then put the tires back on. New pcm for less than 2 bills has me back in business of passing on car payments for a few months.

Doesn’t mean the Jeep isnt a big piece of shit though.

And I’ll double the scope off question as an easy check point, make sure they aren’t hitting the turret and then bouncing back in. I bet they just let go and don’t get thrown at all though.

Last edited:
You have already fixed it. You bought a Defiance.

I did the same thing. Built a semi custom savage and shot under 300 rounds with it. Started having ejection and extraction issues almost immediately. Sold it and haven’t looked back.

This. Ejection issues are pretty common on Savages when you start running them hard. For a casual target gun they'll work, but they are far from the best choice for an action for PRS. I'd send it down the road.

Nevertheless, this is the last place to ask how to fix a simple problem on a simple bolt action rifle. Most of you nimrods couldn't flush a radiator or water the lawn.

Well I like to start with something worth fixing... The Savages I had I fixed by getting rid of years ago, how to fix them, I don't know, I tried what other people said would work and they still didn't run right. I know exactly one person that made one work and that's Jeremy Jones and he's pretty much a rocket scientist.

No secret that Salvages have ejection and extraction issues, don't be butthurt.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I have seen the ejectors need lube and that stopping the round from ejecting. Put a drop of oil on the plunger and cycle it in and out. Should help.

I'm lucky, I guess, I never had ejection issues. They didn't sling it out as positive as my ae, bighorn, or tikkas, but it always clears action. I only have one savage now, and it always works, and it's feeding a short 6br case. I think some guys have issues for sure, and it wouldn't be my choice for prs or hard high rd count guns, but theres several guys here that sure like to dog pile on savages. Whether they are parroting for me too status, or actually had a problem, who knows.

It’s not about fixing them it’s about how many times you want to fix them.

I went through multiple NSS upgrade ejector kits and was still having issues. It wold work fine and then start throwing them right in top of the other rounds. Wouldn’t clear them from the ejection port ever.

Try to pull the ejector and be sure there is no burr on the hole in the bolt face or on the ejector itself. Test fit the ejector with no spring. If should slide freely.

upgrading the .125 detent ball to a .140 ball and stiffer spring under the extractor will help it hold on to your brass so the ejector can do it's job.