• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage ejection problems???

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
Hey guys I have a problem with my savage not ejecting the brass it extracts just fine but then just drops it on top of the mag. the plunger seems to be working but maybe the spring my be weak? any ideas?
Thanks Tucker

Re: Savage ejection problems???

It's possible the problem is the ejector, or even the extractor.
Double check that the extractor is holding the shell well enough.
Once you establish this..

The spring can be replaced, but it may also just be an adjustment of the ejector.
The ejector is a shaft with a slot cut in it. The retainer pin rides in this slot. I have ordered replacements and found that ejection was poor. The cure was to adjust how far the ejector can protrude. This can be done by elongating the slot towards the rear of the ejector. You can do this with a dremel, or a grinder.

It is my opinion that ejectors should not just be installed, but fitted, since the ejector retainer pins do not seem to be drilled at a constant distance from the boltface.
At least, the one's I have worked on are not.

Is this with rapid bolt operation or just with slow? Have you blasted out the bolt with brake cleaner, while pushing the ejector in & out and then relubed it?
I had a like problem with a 700 and it was just crud around the ejector.

I got it fixed it had a weak spring I had another savage that never gets to see the light of day that I swapped the springs and it worked fine. got a new one on the way from SSS

Call Savage they will send you new ejector and extractor for free.

Common problem read about on other sites.