• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage elite precisión 300 prc

EMCA

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys.
I'm waiting for a custom rifle in 33xc.
It will take many months due to the wait for the different components.
I have thought about buying a savage elite precision in 300 prc to have fun in the meantime and some hunting.
I like the mdt chassis and a 30" barrel.
Is it an accurate rifle to shoot at 1000-1200 yards?
I appreciate all the information.
Thank you

If the 33xc is your first dabble into handloading you absolutely need to start at 6.5 creed or something smaller than 338 that you can load a lot

Reactions: NewsShooter
I've been handloading for a few years now.
I have had different calibers.
Right now I own 2 creedmoors and a factory 300 prc..
The 300 prc is a bergara hmr and already needs a new barrel.
I also wanted to change the stock to gain weight, that's why I thought about going directly to a savage elite precision

I wouldn’t buy a savage to kill time till your 33xc comes in. You’ll never touch it once you have a custom action.

The Savage EP rigs are quite a buy. I got my 300WM for $1700 a few years ago and shoot 1 mile ELR with it. It's a 1/4-3/8 MOA gun with my handloads. 215Hybrids and 208 ELDM.

While I liked my savages when I started, I only have one left. They were accurate, just not as refined. These days I'd buy and action, a prefit barrel and trigger, put it in stock or chassis of your choice.

I would sell your Begara and then buy a Zermatt Origin long magnum action and put it in an MPA chassis with a prefit barrel from NSS. The nice thing about the Origin action is they can take a Savage barrel or a shouldered prefit, so you have more barrel options and can change it yourself when they are shot out. Also, they are a Remington footprint and will take the same triggers and stocks/chassis, so the options are endless.

One more note, you should be able to build it in a month's time since most barrel places stock prefits for them in the popular calibers.

Reactions: NewsShooter
I would sell your Begara and then buy a Zermatt Origin long magnum action and put it in an MPA chassis with a prefit barrel from NSS. The nice thing about the Origin action is they can take a Savage barrel or a shouldered prefit, so you have more barrel options and can change it yourself when they are shot out. Also, they are a Remington footprint and will take the same triggers and stocks/chassis, so the options are endless.

One more note, you should be able to build it in a month's time since most barrel places stock prefits for them in the popular calibers.
You mean they can take a savage small shank barrel, not a large shank.

You mean they can take a savage small shank barrel, not a large shank.
That is what I linked from Northland Shooting Supply, and TBH, I kind of thought it was commonly known about the Origin.

That is what I linked from Northland Shooting Supply, and TBH, I kind of thought it was commonly known about the Origin.
Nope. Deal with savage rifles a lot. First question is what shank, large or small.....and most people cannot answer that question.

Thanks everyone for the help.
I'll try to find someone with a savage and shoot them.
I will also look at the option of an action, chassis and prefit barrel.
It can be a very option too.
I asked about the savage because I can have it at home in a couple of days.

Savage isn't bad for typical slow paced long range shooting. Try to run the action hard and eventually it will fte.

James

Have one in .338 LM.
Extraction sucks, sometimes needing some "help" from a cleaning rod down the bore despite the load not being overly hot.
That said, it does what it's supposed to do downrange. The Lapua is definitely pushing the limits of the rifle- I suspect the smaller boltface/reduced bolt thrust of the .300 PRC would not manifest those issues. There's certainly no comparison of Savage to custom actions, but there's also no comparison cost-wise. As long as you have reasonable expectations, the value can't be beat.

Have one in .338 LM.
Extraction sucks, sometimes needing some "help" from a cleaning rod down the bore despite the load not being overly hot.
That said, it does what it's supposed to do downrange. The Lapua is definitely pushing the limits of the rifle- I suspect the smaller boltface/reduced bolt thrust of the .300 PRC would not manifest those issues. There's certainly no comparison of Savage to custom actions, but there's also no comparison cost-wise. As long as you have reasonable expectations, the value can't be beat.
Yeah.
For the lapua, norma, etc. caliber, you need a barrel tenon of 1.1" minimum.
If not, you may have problems.
The 33 xc that I am building has a Borden bigfoot action, to avoid problems