• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Extractor

erikc641

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Picked up a new 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC and wanted to know if Savage is doing their extractors different. This one doesn't look like my 110 Elite Precision (338 LM), as it as the lower corner cut off. It doesn't appear broken, finish on the part seems intact. Is it to aid feeding?

Being a Savage I doubt that they would do anything to purposely aid in feeding, extraction, or ejection. I imagine they were just on the edge of the material when they punched the extractor out of the bottom of an empty natty light can.

Sorry for the drive by troll, but my first rifle was a Savage and while it was accurate I'm still sour about its inability to perform the basic functions necessary to reliably feed and extract.

ETA: pictures would probably help in getting a response from someone who can actually help you

Best I can do on the pic of the extractor. That aside it is functioning and shooting well. The first of the three shot groups today.

Attachments

• 0EC71858-079B-461B-9A3D-008B69919DD1.jpeg
    0EC71858-079B-461B-9A3D-008B69919DD1.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 75F8C50B-5AFB-4FC0-93B8-141646D2F8B1.jpeg
    75F8C50B-5AFB-4FC0-93B8-141646D2F8B1.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 132
  • 5EC2DF02-5C7F-40D9-AC85-3486BF2152FC.jpeg
    5EC2DF02-5C7F-40D9-AC85-3486BF2152FC.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 178
Not sure I read your post right but if it’s extracting issues, buy a larger decent bearing. They’re cheap and easy to change out. Fixes it. Feeding I’m not sure.

There are no issues with extracting, ejecting, or feeding. I was merely asking if anyone knows why the extractor is shaped this way. It doesn't look like my other 110.

Last edited:
One of savage’s extractor designs does have an angle, but that looks more aggressive than I recall. If it ejects fine, don’t worry about it

I suspect that's a defective ejector.
Why would you slot the bolthead for the extended "T" section designed to grip more of the case otherwise.
Just looks wrong...

Personally, I'd replace it. If you ever have a hot load, or sticky case for another reason I'd want the full extractor in contact with the case.

My Impact 737r uses a similar "angled corner" design:
IMG_3368.jpg

This is from my Savage 12FV purchased in 2019 (straight extractor, no angle):
IMG_3367.jpg

Both are a .308 bolt face.

I suspect that's a defective ejector.
Why would you slot the bolthead for the extended "T" section designed to grip more of the case otherwise.
Just looks wrong...

Personally, I'd replace it. If you ever have a hot load, or sticky case for another reason I'd want the full extractor in contact with the case.

This was my thought. Just looked off. Guess I’ll see what Savage’s response will be.

The rounded edge on the extractor is to direct the empty case at the desired angle when ejecting

Edited to add Should have said this modification is done on m16 style extractors for my reason above. I assumed it’s what the op extractor is modified for

Last edited: