• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage F class

USAF1A8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Husker Nation
Any one have any thoughts on the Savage 12 F Class rifle. Its reasonably priced and the Norma caliber has been shot to a mile. Just wondering if its worth investing in before I look into building a .338 Edge. Since Im not looking to penetrate airplane glass at 1000 yards I thought it might be an alternative.

Re: Savage F class

ShallowGrave,

Read page #2 of the 2010 Savage Catalog. Pretty much answers your question.
I am a member of DRRC where Stan Pate and the team are from. Not sure about price difference now. But I was told last year we could get the 12 F/TR.308 Winchester for around $900.00 through the club.

I was at one of the long distance shooting matches last year and the guys from over seas could not believe they were getting there butt kicked by the savage factory rifles. One of the over seas guys had over $9000.00 invested in his rifle according to him. He was getting all sorts of pissed off when he kept getting out scored. It was very funny to see him bitch piss and moan. There was a spectator about 20 feet behind him and he started screaming at the guy for talking. He was quite the spectacle!

just my 2cents

Blue Skies

Hell, shooting @ Doug Ridge is just about enough to make anybody start screaming and cussing. The wind on that range is just plain wrong in so many ways...
wink.gif

I don't have as much trigger time behind the 12 F-Class (as opposed to the 12 F/TR) but I have gone through one barrel on mine, with a couple hundred down the second tube. They tend to have very long throats so you shouldn't run into any problems with powder compression. You might have to do a little looking to find a rear bag that really fits that wide toe on the stock... but it'll work okay with a regular bag as well - just won't sit down in quite the way you'd expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, shooting @ Doug Ridge is just about enough to make anybody start screaming and cussing. The wind on that range is just plain wrong in so many ways...
wink.gif
</div></div>

LMAO, totally agree about the wind and they do scream and cuss about it. Pretty bad when 3 flags are each going in a different direction and speed. There are some no wind days out there, luckily.

Blue Skies

I have heard nothing but good reviews about Savages of late.
I am considering either the 12 F Class or the .308 F/TR.

I think Savage has some other rifles that are every bit as accurate in lower priced models. But the F-class and F/TR both fit the bills very well for their intended disciplines in the shooting sports.

Guys,

I purchased the Savage Model 12 in 6mmBR and have just run the barrel in. So far I've only tested it at 100 yards using factory Lapua Match Ammo which gave the same results as my handloads which was around 0.5 MOA. I'm hoping the groups improve when I get more lead down the barrel.
Hopefully with more case prep groups will tighten now I have my Redding Type S die with .267 bushing and expander mandrel in Wilson expander die.

It's a lot of rifle for the price thats for sure.... I'm hoping for some accurate shooting with this rifle from 100 - 1000 yards. It's very tough to find a calibre for all ranges but with the 6mmBR & 1:8 twist.. I'm sure I can develop loads that will be competitive.

I've heard stories where Savage made many faulty barrels in 6.5x284 but not sure if this is true?
Apparently the rifle doesn't perform until you have at least 200 rnds down the barrel due to chatter?

Your thoughts appreciated!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I purchased the Savage Model 12 in 6mmBR and have just run the barrel in. So far I've only tested it at 100 yards using factory Lapua Match Ammo which gave the same results as my handloads which was around 0.5 MOA. I'm hoping the groups improve when I get more lead down the barrel.
Hopefully with more case prep groups will tighten now I have my Redding Type S die with .267 bushing and expander mandrel in Wilson expander die.

It's a lot of rifle for the price thats for sure.... I'm hoping for some accurate shooting with this rifle from 100 - 1000 yards. It's very tough to find a calibre for all ranges but with the 6mmBR & 1:8 twist.. I'm sure I can develop loads that will be competitive.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I've heard stories where Savage made many faulty barrels in 6.5x284 but not sure if this is true?
Apparently the rifle doesn't perform until you have at least 200 rnds down the barrel due to chatter?</span>

Your thoughts appreciated!

</div></div>

I have neither heard of nor experienced the last two statements you've made with any new Savages that I've shot or heard of people shooting.

As for your first two paragraphs, a definite advantage of the Savage is the two calibers the F-class comes in. They aren't stock calibers anywhere else. But, they both perform well. And, there is loaded match ammo for both.

I don't want to resurrent this unnecessarily, but I think another major advantage of the Savage design is ease and low cost of barrel changes. With a barrel burner like a 6.5x.284, being able to get a new barrel installed for $300 total rather than $450-500 adds up. As in, after 10k rounds, you've saved enough on barrels to buy a very nice scope.

What sort of throat depth do they have? Can you load close to the lands with your favorite bullet? Big advantage of a custom rifle is you can have a custom throat made to your bullets seating depth, OAL etc.

The 6.5-284 has a fairly long throat... definitely no worries about seating the bullet into the 'donut' region of the neck
wink.gif

Fortunately Berger 140 VLDs shoot very well when backed off the lands and jumping a *bunch* as described at the bottom of this page...