• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage F-T/R Part 2

J-ROD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Well this is my second outing with this gun. First and foremost I have to thank Shredder58 for getting me to this point. Who knows how many countless hours he has spent answering the mountain of e-mails/PM's I have sent him and even on the phone for ~2hrs total. He upped the "help bar" by inviting me (yes still a complete internet stranger) to his house to get my new vortex scope set-up and make a range trip.
It is SO SO nice having someone who knows what they are doing and has all the right tools for the job, not to mention gave me a smoking deal on like freaken new Badger rings (.885" Steel) and BNIB Flatline OPS level.
After a hard morning in the man cave working on my gun...lol..his wife even made us lunch before heading out to the range. I am sending my wife down to his house for some Wife-101 training, lol I joke!

So here is the finished product...call me a dork but I think it looks tough, helps with the confidence level while shooting it.
pstscope1.jpg

By mouzetrap at 2011-11-13
pstscope2.jpg

Starting out at 100yds, I realized a couple things, I am the absolute opposite of good at bore sighting and apparently don't know my left from my right or up from down as it took about 12 rounds to get from on paper, to back on paper to zeroed. Shredder was VERY patient while I monkey/footballed my new scope.

Forgive the confusing notes, once I got home I was trying to write down as much as I could remember while holding a hungry month old baby. We were really short on time due to the above zero'ing fiasco and hot/cold range rules. Some groups are only 3 rounds, some 4 and some 5 and I know it's not proper to only post half a target but the other half was junk and I couldn't remember what ammo or why so I cut it out for my sanity.

100yds, left is 168FGMM, right two sets of SW 155 Scenars: low right group is same dope as 168's, I didn't know where the real center of the group was so after adjusting, my top left group is not centered and not good obviously.

111211shoot.jpg

We quickly jumped to 300yds and below is a 168FGMM group. It's not as good as I hoped...read down below for my list of excuses..hehe.

111211shoot1.jpg

First group at 300yds with the SW 155's was using same dope as 168's, so the 155's were low and right at 100yds but only way right at 300yds. JBM says the 155 dope should be 3.3moa's (at 3,000fps guessing) at 300yds versus 4 for the 168's. Based off these groups I would say either using the G7 BC of .247 for the Scenars is too general or they are moving a little faster than 3,000fps.

111211shoot2.jpg

Anywho, it was a really good trip to the range and I learned a lot. I now have some dope info so I can attend some LR shoots/matches. Also, prior to this trip I straight up laughed at the thought of keeping a shooting log/data book and even fought Shredder's advice some at the beginning of the shoot. I now see that actually having a book and using it properly, is indeed a huge part of your success and exponentially reduces the frustration level. I am blindly chasing my tail without a log book.

As for my excuses, lol told ya, I'm just a big redneck who shoots on a farm, longest being 250yds. I've never shot around other people...so this range was a new experience especially considering for awhile there was a guy 8' from me shooting a 300win mag with a brake. I just have to grow some and get used to that.
Secondly I had to wear some scratched up safety glasses from work that kept fogging up and messing with my cheek rest.
Thirdly, I now have right at 100rds through this gun and it was spotless before getting to the range. I am forcing myself to not clean it right now and just wait for my next outing to see if it settles in anymore, or just wait til accuracy falls off like a normal person.

So, with all that being said, FCS on here has been working hard to get me some ammo to try and eventually fine tune to my gun, looking forward to that.
Also Darrell Buell has graciously given me a TON on info on what he shoots since it's the same rifle. I have been working up a few shopping carts at various sponsor sites for all I would need to get started with handloading. I think I am going to pull the trigger on my orders sooner than later after this range trip.

Oh, lastly (and I will post up pics of the brass if need be) but seeing that the 155's hit lower than the 168's, does this give any indication to my barrel's optimum charge size for the 155's? Meaning that the preferred load is at the top of the barrel's oscillation, when it is changing directions I guess. So with the 155's, the barrel would have to be either on the way back down or up whereas the 168's are close to the top? Does that make sense?

Sorry for the long thread, thanks for reading and any input.

God bless,

-Jarrod

Re: Savage F-T/R Part 2

What a great day at the range! How exciting a brand new rifle and scope! By the way congrats on the new baby!! I got to shoot the F/TR yeasterday for the first time myself! I got to say I was very impressed with the rifle overall! Savage had the trigger tuned very light and it was absolutely a pleasure to shoot! So much so as I'm thinking I need one! Lol.
Sounds like your day was very successful for a first time out at a formal range. There are so many things to stay on top of till it becomes second nature? Don't worry the curve goes really quickly! I think it only takes one trip to the range with lousy safety glass before you run down and buy yourself a fancy pair.
Anyways I think your new shinny rifle looks bad ass and wish you lots of luck with it! Who knows maybe you will be winning at F class comps a year from now?

Wow, that's a nice set up!

But here's the really important question:
When you're looking through that scope, how do see your level?

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a great day at the range! How exciting a brand new rifle and scope! By the way congrats on the new baby!! I got to shoot the F/TR yeasterday for the first time myself! I got to say I was very impressed with the rifle overall! Savage had the trigger tuned very light and it was absolutely a pleasure to shoot! So much so as I'm thinking I need one! Lol.
Sounds like your day was very successful for a first time out at a formal range. There are so many things to stay on top of till it becomes second nature? Don't worry the curve goes really quickly! I think it only takes one trip to the range with lousy safety glass before you run down and buy yourself a fancy pair.
Anyways I think your new shinny rifle looks bad ass and wish you lots of luck with it! Who knows maybe you will be winning at F class comps a year from now? </div></div>

Lol, thanks on both accounts. Yea I am a ff..ff..ff..father...so weird to say and so great!
I couldn't agree more, for what I paid for it, I can't believe how much I like the gun and how well it is capable of shooting with the right ammo. The trigger is one of my favorite parts, love it!
Ha, I hope the curve does quickly. Getting all this help has REALLY sped things up even more.
You are right, the first thing I googled when I had a chance was quality/comfortable shooting glasses that fit the rifle bill.
Thanks again for the kind words and LOL! Winning any type of LR shoot in a year would be a dream, heck, I would be happy to just not get laughed off the range
wink.gif

Thanks Megacab! And to answer your question, like a dis!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's hard to tell from the pic but I shoot with both eyes open so when it's flipped out, I can see it with my left eye.