• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage F/TR 308 WIN, first time out

J-ROD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Well, it's out with the...ehhh...new and in with the newER! I previously had a DPMS and with the guidance of Casey Simpson and a few others on here, I was able to get it to shoot really well for a $900 gas gun. The problem: I am too much of a diva so I sold it and bought a bolt gun.
First impressions, I LOVE this gun!! The trigger is excellent and overall the gun is really comfortable to shoot. It does copper foul quickly and quite bad so I spent a good amount of time cleaning it, although it is for sure getting better. It seems to get more accurate as I run rounds through it.
Below is one of a couple good groupings (only 100yds) I got before I had to call it quits. 5 shots, 168gr FGMM

2011-09-10_14-35-48_245.jpg

This was done after I cleaned the barrel, no fouling shot either. I experimented with what Casey suggested for my DPMS, and that was cleaning up any oily residue out of the chamber and barrel prior to shooting with a little iso alky. Pardon the newbie ignorance but I had no idea it made that much difference (using the iso versus just running a few dry patches through), groups would just about double in size if I did not use the iso after any cleaning/lubing. So I am a believer, ANY residual CLP in the barrel hurts accuracy, at least in all of the two guns I've tried it on hehe

I also managed to chrono the five rounds: (30" barrel)

Unfortunately, just like my DPMS, this Savage does not seem to like anything but them. Oddly enough the 168grs from Fiochi grouped horribly, I mean bad, real bad.

Here is the best 5 shot "group" I got with the 175gr FGMM, 100yds. And yes, I was aiming at the square on the left...how can that little bit of weight make that much difference at 100yds?

2011-09-10_13-09-52_460.jpg

The SouthWest 175's grouped on average about twice as good as the FGMM's (same thing I saw with my DPMS) but this gun just does not like anything but the 168's. Here's my my best 5 shot group with them. Same deal as the Federals, was aiming for the left square

2011-09-10_14-56-29_563.jpg

I chrono'd these as well:

As I said I love this gun, but I just don't know if it is the twist (1 in 12) or the loose nut behind the trigger that causes the heavier bullets to not shoot well....any ideas?
I think I'm going to get some SW 155 scenars to see what they do. I need to get a better rear bag, this DIY rice sock ain't cutting it anymore.
Here's a pic of my set-up..lol

2011-09-10_14-33-37_365.jpg

Re: Savage F/TR 308 WIN, first time out

First off, great group with the GMM168!

Second, glad to hear the copper fouling is improving. My Savage shot well out of the box, but also fouled quickly. It probably took 500 rounds for that to settle out. Now I give it a rigorous cleaning every 500 rounds or so. Mine has ~4000 through it and between us (rifle and myself), groups just get better and better! We have 1/4 MOA days, but never worse than 1/2.

Third, both my bolt action 308s print 175smk bullets a few inches right of 168s. Nature of the beast I guess! Both rifles have a right hand twist. My guys ss is a rifle with a LH twist would print them left of 168s.

Fourth, don't get discouraged about what it seems to have an appetite for. You'll find ammo it like in time... ....especially when you start reloading!

Oh, by the way, I know a guy who has ~160 rounds each of 175gr FGMM and SW if anyone is interested in trading me for some 168gr FGMM or 155gr Scenars.

Lastly, I tried Sweet's 7.62 for the first time today...stuff does a number on copper...where have I been? lol

nice shooting. you should be able to tailor a heavier bullet when you start handloading.

Thanks for the compliments Turbo!

2nd: That's encouraging to hear, I think I have about 60 or so through it now so as you mention, it will do us both good to shoot more
smile.gif
I can handle consistent 1/2moa days with a sprinkle
of 1/4moa...yep, that will do just fine!

3rd: Ahhhhh, now that makes sense. I thought I had missed completely the first few rounds.

4th: Yea I know but I want it to shoot all ammo 1/8moa!!! Lol, j/k. In all seriousness, that was one of the reasons for switching to the bolt, I got tired of searching in the grass and cow patties for brass and when I did they were rather beat up. My next big purchase will be from the reloading section.

Thanks again for the input and kind words.

Thanks Axeman. I'm studying up on reloading how-to now.
I meant to chrono the FGMM 175's to see if the MV's were different between them and the SW's.

i went thru a bunch of loads when i was doing my 168s and it was neat to watch each group hit the paper. one load just plain shot way right. none of them (5) would hit the target. everything else was at least in the 3x3 at 100y. they strung vertically down the edge between the targets.

4613792537_06d7d2a6ed_b.jpg

top middle target. i just kept leaning my cheek into the stock trying to add some body english to the shot, lol

Thanks for posting the pic. That's neat to see the groups move around. Were you fooling with powder amounts, coal, both? EDIT, I see what I think are your load weights on the targets, nevermind.
I'm just curious to see what has more affect on the POI.

I hear ya on the body english...I was trying real hard draw the 175gr rounds in to where the 168's were hitting, lol no luck.

these were some of the first 154 rounds i put thru the rifle. i didnt reset the scope caps right and ended up moving the poi off high and right. but since its all relative i aimed at the center and let them fall as they may. it was the groups i was after. plus i bedded after this too. so i chose the 44.8g load and may look at the 45s too but at the place i am, i dont have a chrony, i dont need the bullet speed and if i do i dont know it yet so i just chose the 44.8g as its close to what a lot of guys run with varget. i think i loaded 10 each of 44.7 and 44.9 to take along with this batch just in case im that close to a sweet spot. i loaded a whole pound of varget. i have been itching to shoot. i should have checked the local range schedule last night. there was a match this AM and i slept late on my day off. just my luck, lol

I bought a $70 chrono from Wally world online...seems to work well from what I can tell.

See, I really need to hurry up and buy my reloading stuff, I am looking forward to fine tuning loads to fit the gun. That's amazing that little steps in wt make noticeable changes. I have so much to learn, but I have to start somewhere I guess.

Sounds like you have "luck" like I do.