• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage fcp 338 lapua - observations

muscles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
ut
my goal was, and still is being able to do the mile shot in an affordable-ish way. i went with a savage fcp 338 lapua. i scoped it with a vortex viper pst 6-24 mrad. i put it on a murphy precision 30 moa rail and seekins low rings. all on the advice i received here. I'm new to long range shooting, and here is what I've found so far...

shooting off of a bipod and using a squeeze bag in back, i started with 2 boxes (40 rounds) of 300 gr HSM ammo. getting on paper at 100 yards was a bit of a fiasco. i was all over the place. the best i could do was a 3" group. i zeroed the best i could, and moved to 300 yards. my groups didn't get any better. they were roughly 9" and i was getting discouraged. having burned through 40 rounds, i realized this was going to be an expensive venture.

i bought rcbs fl and neck dies, and decided to hand load the next 40. i already had a lee hand press (thigh master) from my early pistol loading days, and wanted to see if i could make it work. I'm still using it, but plan to upgrade to a bench mounted single stage soon. i neck sized and loaded the next 40 with 89 grains of h1000 using my lee safety scale. i used 215m primers and 300 gr sierra match king bullets. i realize my setup is ghetto, but the results were great!

on the next outing, my groups were about 1.5" at 100 yards. i decided to skip 300 yards and go straight to 1000. shooting at a 12" gong, i missed the first 2 shots, but they were consistent. i dialed in a couple windage and elevation clicks, and shots 3 through 5 were hits. i was ecstatic. i dialed back to 600 yards and instantly hit an 8 inch gong multiple times. went home happy and out of ammo.

reloaded again neck sizing, and fast forward a week. started at 100 to verify zero and scope tracking. first 3 shot group was touching! moved straight out to 1000 with 7.8 mils and had another couple of misses. windy day. dialed in a few clicks and was back on the gong consistently. left shortly afterwards due to cold temps.

now, i can't wait to move out further. there is a 1400 yard 12" gong that i will be going for next. i also plan on taking a 24" x 24" steel plate so i can see group size. if all goes well, i'll be setting up for the mile within a couple of weeks.

it seems that my hand loads are better than the factory HSM loads i began with...or my barrel is broken in. it could also be that i now have a good feel for the rifle, and its recoil and trigger pull. either way, i couldn't be more pleased. i am approx $2,500 into the gun/scope/mount, and a few hundred in ammo and reloading supplies. i know 338 lapua is never cheap, but I'm not too deep into it. I'm glad that i didn't get too discouraged early on, and appreciate the advice i received on this site.

here are some pics (rifle, 1000 yard range, reloading setup & 100 yard group):
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Re: savage fcp 338 lapua - observations

Way to show how things can be done. That's awesome!

i'm looking to get started in this venture as well. great showing!

thx. now i need to pick up a case trimmer before i can proceed. looking at the le wilson. the cases have grown by .15 over 3 firings.

Nice shootin'! And on an affordable budget. This is a little off topic, but is that Cedar Mountain in the distance?

How hard is it to use the Lee pocket press with the .338 Lapua cases? I have you tried a body die or full length resize yet? Nice rifle and good shooting! I would like to get into the ELR stuff but I need to master the short range stuff first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shootin'! And on an affordable budget. This is a little off topic, but is that Cedar Mountain in the distance? </div></div>

good eyes...cedar mountain is a bit north east, but same general area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard is it to use the Lee pocket press with the .338 Lapua cases? I have you tried a body die or full length resize yet? Nice rifle and good shooting! I would like to get into the ELR stuff but I need to master the short range stuff first. </div></div>

its not bad...takes a bit of effort but doable. it would get old if i was loading more than 40 at a time. even at 40, its time to upgrade.

i did a full length size on 20 cases today. must have used too much lube as i had 2 cases with a dent under the shoulder. it required a bit more effort that the neck sizer, but not much.

Great country for shootin', or dirt bikin'!

i agree...the trail riding here is awesome! when i moved here, i bought a ktm 300 and have had a blast.

those fcp's seem to be great shooters. Nice rifle man.

If your groups have tightened up and stayed there, good. If your having trouble, check your base screws, I went throught 2 boxes before I realized that. Finger nail polish on the screws and tighten back down. Also, you may need to tighten the action screws tighter. .338 I believe would require 65 lbs because of the recoil. One last thing ,correct me if im wrong, but .338's dont stabilize till 300 yards so groups at 100 yards will not mean too much. Just my thoughts but awesome job at 1000 with a stock factory rifle. I have yet to try that far with my .308.

Tony

this is reassuring, i bought this same rifle last october when i was back from afg and never got too shoot it. maybe this summer. keep us posted as you get settled with it.