• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage guys...any of you try the pre-fit Pac-Nors?

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
Thinking about getting one down the road. How are they? Can they match the contour of the factory tube, or perhaps something a little less heavy?

Curious about the bbl contour because I'm about ready to order a McMillan for the factory contour barrel, but may want to go to something a little lighter down the road.

Thoughs? Thanks gents
laugh.gif

Re: Savage guys...any of you try the pre-fit Pac-Nors?

I don't think that a little extra "float" would hurt anything, should you decide to change barrels later.

I put a stainless Pac-Nor "Supermatch" barrel on the first Savage rifle I worked with about four years ago. Excellent workmanship and accuracy, I've no complaints at all.

Pac-Nor's customer service was great, and the barrel arrived on my doorstep four weeks to the day I ordered it. They had promised five weeks, so that was another plus for Pac-Nor!

When I ordered my barrel Penny told me that all standard Savage contours were available at the same price, while custom contours and lengths were extra. I ordered the factory varmint/tactical contour, and it matched the original Savage out-of-the-box barrel just about exactly. You'll have many choices of rifling, twist rate, and chamber design, depending on the cartridge you opt for. If you aren't quite sure of exactly what you want Pac-Nor will provide you with some good advice.

I highly recommend these barrels, especially for a first-time project.

check on Savageshooters.com's forums. They have had several Pac-Nor group buys before with many threads discussing their barrels. Consensus is you can't go wrong with them and they're tack drivers. I believe they are able to produce factory contours.

I went with a McGowen pre-fit with the standard Savage Varmint/Tactical profile and it shoots and cleans very well. Only takes a few patches to clean. Only 1-2 fowler shots to settle down. Savage Varmint profile is normally .8 inches at the muzzle. On SavageShooters you can get a good deal on a McGowen or Shilen from Northlanders. He is a true honest man to deal with. You can give him a call and he is more than welcome to discuss any aspect of your order in detail. I must have asked him 100 questions before I placed an order.

I would llove to hear back on how a PacNor prefit works out for you. Might give them a try next. Keep us informed.

Mike

another northlander /mcgowen fan, but i too would like to hear what u think of the pacnor.