• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage HogHunter 308 question

floridabuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
Lake Butler Florida
Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? The price is appealing but is it as good a deal as it looks like? What aftermarket stocks are available as The stock would have to go immediately? Thanks

Iv'e built a couple. Stocks are terrible. Action, trigger and barrel good to go. I've had good luck with 155 and 178 AMAX and Varget shooting honest 1 MOA.
4.400" bolt spacing - I prefer B&C stocks, but Boyds, McMillan, HS etc make stocks for them.
They are ready for DBM as well.

Iv'e built a couple. Stocks are terrible. Action, trigger and barrel good to go. I've had good luck with 155 and 178 AMAX and Varget shooting honest 1 MOA.
4.400" bolt spacing - I prefer B&C stocks, but Boyds, McMillan, HS etc make stocks for them.
They are ready for DBM as well.

What he said in SPADES...good entry level Savage rifle that gets you shooting...the Barrel/Action/Trigger are excellent...if your building a precision rifle on a budget look at the B&C tactical Medalist or the Choate Tactical...both are good entry level mass produced stocks with internal aluminum bedding blocks (saves you from glass bedding)

Spend you $$$ on AMMO, Stock and GLASS...

I also have never seen a 308 Savage that did not prefer the FGMM 175's mine shoots them so good I quit hand loading for it...5 shots into .3" all day long...one ragged hole...caint beat that with a big stick...1998 110 FP Flat Back 3 Screw Trigger, Choate Tactical, CDI DBM, 20" Savage Heavy barrel with a SWFA 20X MIL/MIL on EGW 20MOA, Burris X-TREME rings