• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage HS 308 5R ????????

Ajax2112

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
I tried searching and came up with nothing.

In my search to buy a 308 rifle I was recently told by a local gun dealer that I should consider a Savage over a Remington. I have read a lot about both and there seems to be good reviews on both.

My local dealer suggested I look into the Savage HS line because it comes with a H-S precision stock at a reasonable price. The dealer suggested two specific models.

The first is the Savage 10FCP LE 308 HS which has a 24" 1:10 barrel matte blue finish, accutrigger, detachable magazine, and a HS precision stock
Which I have found several good reviews on

The second is the Savage HS 308 24 5R which has a threaded 24" 1:11.25 matte blue finish, accutrigger, detachable magazine, and a HS precision stock
This one I can't find any reviews on, but it appears to have similar specs to the Remington 5R except it is not stainless steel.

I also found a Savage 308 20 5R which has a threaded 20" 1:11.25 matte blue finish, accutrigger, detachable magazine, with a Savage Accustock for 300 less than the two listed above
This one I can't find any reviews on either.

Does anyone have any opinions on these guns?
I was considering a Remington 700 Dicks special SPS varmint, but after adding up the price with an upgraded stock the first two options listed above come out cheaper. I would consider the third one if you guys suggest the 20" barrel over the 24"

Re: Savage HS 308 5R ????????

My 10FCP has a 5R barrel with those specs but only has the standard Savage beavertail. However it is now out-shooting my 110BA nearly every trip to the range. I'd say the action and barrel are solid. While I've heard good things about that stock I think that for the price I paid for my 10FCP I'd rather put the difference toward the exact stock I would want to swap mine with. I've been looking at McMillan and Manners.

Re: Savage HS 308 5R ????????

I have the 24" threaded fluted 5r in the hs stock. I got it from buds a year ago. The stock is a nice vertical grip hs, i skim bedded it and the rifle shoots lights out. I put an ops inc brake on it and refinished it. The rifle is 1-11.25 twist which should prefer 175 smk but mine loves 155 ncc over varget. I get 2925 fps and sd in the 7.xx range. It will ave in the .5 range at 100 and has dropped quite a few 4 legged critters at 6-800 yds. Great rifle, i think i gave 925 for it a little over a yr ago.