• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse Barrel Retainer Torque Figures

motobie

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Does anyone know the torque figures for the Savage Impulse's four screws that secure the barrel extension to the receiver? It is not in the owner manual. I have asked Savage technical support but the guy refused to give the information.
I have a Sig Sauer SHR-790 rifle that has a very similar design with only two screws doing the same job. I remember that the manual listed the torque as around 35 in-lb.

The barrel is torqued into an extension with the usual large barrel nut. The extension is then slide into the receiver and is locked down (squeezed) by four small screws. Savage doesn't seem to publish what the torque for the fours screws. It seems that Savage thinks their customers are stupid and dangerous that they couldn't take the barrel out and put it back. The support guy kept saying Savage didn't publish barrel torque figures of any kind. Seems silly. Anyway I just thought somebody out there might know the torque figures.

As you can see the barrel nut in front is pretty much standard Savage barrel nut. The barrel nut locks the barrel and lug against the extension as a single unit that goes into the receiver and is secured by the four screws right behind the lug. What are the torque figures for those four screws?

Attachments

• Savage Impulse Barrel.jpg
    Savage Impulse Barrel.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 68
As you can see the barrel nut in front is pretty much standard Savage barrel nut. The barrel nut locks the barrel and lug against the extension as a single unit that goes into the receiver and is secured by the four screws right behind the lug. What are the torque figures for those four screws?

Find out the size and thread pitch of the screws. There are standard bolt torque guides from reputable companies on the internet.