• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse seems to be rarer than unicorn teeth. Has anyone bought one?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I've been trying to chase down a Savage Impulse Predator straight-pull rifle in pretty much any caliber. After all, I can always switch the barrel to something else. I want the Predator model because it takes AICS mag but I'm starting to wonder if they're even making these things. There aren't even any on Gunrobber. However, there are so many Savage 110's you'd think they had Covid 19 Delta...

If they don't start getting these things out there then the aftermarket will never make any gear for them. I'd like to see an MDT or JP chassis for it. What are the odds of that happening if you can't even find the rifle?

I don't know what's funnier. The fact that noone has responded, or that ~90 people have checked the thread out, and noone responded.

Cabelas had a decent amount of newer savages when I was there the other day in Green Bay. No impulse tho. My dealer could get the 300 WM in the hog hunter model about a week ago

The design definitely looks interesting. I’m moved away from savages for the most part but wouldn’t mind the 18” 308 impulse

Here's a pic of my Savage Impulse predator in 243, with the newly fluted barrel.
Since I also own Blasers, this was right up my ally and it's an awesome rifle.
I got it earlier this year and haven't seen another predator model for sale since.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 470
How smooth is the bolt on these rifles? I can’t help but notice on the commercials it seems like it takes a decent amount of force to work the bolt?

Not as smooth as my Blasers, but smooth enough that I have no issues keeping the scope on target while I'm cycling the action.
It's a little barrel heavy and weighs 11 pounds with the XP38, titanium brake and a loaded metal 5 round AI magazine.
The fluting only removed about a 1/2 pound, but it's better than nothing.

Reactions: hafejd30
A lot of us have sniggered at Savage rifles only to see them shoot stupid good groups. I have a Savage 3-screw target action that is just ridiculous, especially for the price I paid.

I'm really interested in the Impulse Predator because it's different and because it isn't a million dollars. I hope it's not as high quality as a Balser or a Heym because if it is I'm at a loss at what makes those rifles so expensive. However, it won't surprise me if it's as accurate.

I've run the bolt on one a guy at the range showed up with and I was surprised at how smooth it was. It was nice to see an American-made product that made me smile. I just wish they made enough of them for me to buy one. The only Predator model I could find was used and they wanted over retail new.

Love straight pull actions. I have two, a Blaser R93 and an Anschutz 1727F.
After owning these, I don’t think a Savage is in my future. Is it supposedly better?

Love straight pull actions. I have two, a Blaser R93 and an Anschutz 1727F.
After owning these, I don’t think a Savage is in my future. Is it supposedly better?
I doubt it, how could it be? But it's in a price range where I can play with it and not turn my wallet into a pretzel. The one I messed with was better than I expected. You know how the Savage 110's seemed to be machined at random in some places? It wasn't like that at all. It seemed to be remarkably well finished. Maybe that will start falling off if they actually make more than 2 or 3 of them.

Reactions: mrmarklin
The savage is a savage, not a blaser, anschultz or a heym and it's not claiming to be in that class of rifles.
It's a rifle priced to introduce this side of the pond to straight pull rifles, that wouldn't even think of paying the price for the three I mentioned above.
What I really like, is that except for the receiver having right hand only ejection, the predator rifle is totally ambidextrous and uses AI mags.
It feeds rounds flawlessly.
I know a lot of people that are waiting to buy one after trying my rifle.
I agree with the rifles excessive weight and after this season ends, I'm going to have a Proof barrel made and that should make the rifle into a great traveling varmint rig.

It's a nearly 9 lb. hunting rifle before optics. How exciting can that possibly be?

Exactly. Once I saw the weight of these things I was like... nah. I barely want to carry my Tikka Superlite around and it's about 2 lbs. lighter.

I would not mind an action like this in PRS, I suppose... if it was pinky finger easy to cycle like my Bergara HMR Pro or the snazzy custom actions. I guess it'd be great for varmint/hog hunting, too, since you fire more often than deer. I mean, I'll buy one eventually... but more our of novelty.

Well, no..., shooting products of all kinds are in short supply, especially new, revolutionary rifle systems.

Theis might have a view or two on this, should he have time for this kind of an issue.

My next question is why. It seems the Impulse is a solution in search of a problem. I have no such problems.

Beyond that, yes, I like Savage actions. They can balk and bust; but treated decently, they've served me fine for decades.

I worked on Wall Street; buy cheap, sell dear, and that ain't now.

Not buying rifles, might be building them..., for myself.

Greg

I would imagine they're experiencing some growing pains, having been recently spun-off their corporate parent organization coupled with the market shortage of quality raw-materials and labor.

Mine is supposed to be shipping from Buds Guns this week. Signed up to be notified. And two months later they sent me an email telling me they were in stock. There are not any more in stock currently.

It's back at Savage, fired 18 rounds. 8 actually went off. From two different ammo manufacturers. Fired the same 10 "duds" in my other 300 and they all went off.

I'll let you know how it rolls out.

So I called Savage this morning and was told my rifle is ready for shipment, and on it's way back. They replaced the striker.

So we'll take a look at it next week and see what kind of condition it is in.

It will probably be in the Classifieds section when it gets here.

Predator can be whatever caliber you want. The barrel is a Savage small shank.

I get that, but since they make it in a 22-250, and that's what I want, seems like the one to get. I don't think a factory 308 take off barrel would fetch much in resale.

can anyone who's actually had one and a 110 give any details on differences in footprint? I've got a few ideas knocking around for tossing one in a chassis. I know i'll have to make some adjustments for the straight pull handle to clear, but my main concern was if there was any difference in the recoil lugs etc.

I have a predator model and if I line up the old savage stock bolt hole locations with the impulse stock hole locations, the recoil lug location isn't the same, but it's close.
However, I don't see any major issues with modifying the old stock so the impulse action could fit.
After the varmint season ends in NY on 4/1, I'll be taking my predator apart to do some customization and will have some more info.

I have a predator model and if I line up the old savage stock bolt hole locations with the impulse stock hole locations, the recoil lug location isn't the same, but it's close.
However, I don't see any major issues with modifying the old stock so the impulse action could fit.
After the varmint season ends in NY on 4/1, I'll be taking my predator apart to do some customization and will have some more info.
Thanks, I was considering tossing it into an MDT chassis and machining the chassis to fit, but looks like that might be a no-go if the recoil lug positions are different enough.

If you can modify the stock to accommodate the straight pull bolt, you can modify the recoil lug area too, or just buy an impulse elite.

If you can modify the stock to accommodate the straight pull bolt, you can modify the recoil lug area too, or just buy an impulse elite.
impulse elite I had missed somehow, guess I missed the announcement. Its pretty close to what I’m after but I’m looking at trying to do an inline recoil build using something like the TAC21. Might end up just designing my own

I have a guy at Savage that I know and he claims that the straight pull Elite will be out by the next quarter. He's not a member of the flat earth society or a member of the Creationists so I tend to believe him. I'm hoping that the street price is significantly under the $2,600 beans MSRP. Unfortunately, it won't have the newest MDT ACC chassis as MDT hasn't even finished it yet.
There is one feature on the new MDT ACC chassis that I'd really like to play with., the adjustable magazine well. I think they got that from a patent held by a competitor they bought a while back.

Reactions: BigKev72