• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse

Yes. I am very interested in this and wondering how the action would do outside of hunting, like in prs maybe.

If this works out for Savage, I can see me getting one in the near future.
Beings I'm a southpaw only made me want one NOW .
From the sound of it , it only comes in a long action.
Also as far as the games are concerned, I don't think there will be any interest there you know, like weak ejection, barrel nut, accutrigger, the list goes on and on.

I got my Impulse Predator in 243 last weekend.
Great rifle, but very barrel heavy.
For better balance, Savage should've offered a fluted the barrel on the Predator model, like they did with the longer barreled Big game model.
Trigger was set to 2lbs from the factory and passed the drop test.
The Predator model is short action and only accepts Metal short action AICS magazines.
Pmags will fit with severe modification, but won't function at all because of the amount of material that's removed to make it fit.
Everyone has complained about feeding issues with Savage factory magazines.
Savage was listening and has taken care of the issue.
Even though it uses a barrel extension, they kept the barrel nut.
Being I'm a senior member of the barrel nut community, I salute Savage for doing that and see it as Savage giving the middle finger to the barrel nut hater club.
Bravo Savage !
As with most Savage rifles, it's accurate out of the box.
It was rainy and windy today at the range and it still shot small groups with all of my test loads.
I'm a southpaw and had no issues with brass being ejected from the right side only port.
I actually prefer a right side port, as I can inspect the chamber easier and load single rounds with my right hand without losing grip of the rifle.
Every other function on the rifle is totally ambi.
If it came with a fluted barrel, I wouldn't have one complaint.

SJC
IMG_1295.JPG

How was the operation of the bolt? Smooth, stiff, sticky, heavy, light? Combination of any of those?
I'm waiting to pick one up till MDT makes a chassis for it.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Very interesting design but 8.5-8.75 lbs is on the heavy side for a hunting rifle.

Speaking of, how come we don't see more Blaser R93 type straight pull rifles in competitions ?

Very interesting design but 8.5-8.75 lbs is on the heavy side for a hunting rifle.
Mine is 8 lbs without optic+ rings and unloaded 10rd mag.
All of the weight is in the barreled action, which makes it barrel heavy, like almost every American made rifle.
A Fluted barrel will solve the weight/balance issue.

How was the operation of the bolt? Smooth, stiff, sticky, heavy, light? Combination of any of those?
I'm waiting to pick one up till MDT makes a chassis for it.
Bolt was slow out of the box, but slicked right up after a thorough cleaning and an application of slide glide + kroil.
My 70+ year old uncle has no issues operating it.
One thing to note, Almost every person that has tried to cycle the bolt for the first time forgets that it's straight pull and try to lift up on the bolt while pulling it, causing it to bind.
They have no issues once they get used to just pulling it straight back.
I compete + hunt with Blaser rifles and have been waiting for an American made straight pull for a long time.

Speaking of, how come we don't see more Blaser R93 type straight pull rifles in competitions ?
The blaser R93 and R8 platforms don't have detachable magazines, so they don't offer anything for a competitor.
The Blaser Tac2 does, but Blaser discontinued civilian support for their Tactical rifles.
Now that the Impulse has hit the streets, I'm sure some goodies will become available for the competitor, if it doesn't have any issues.
I bought mine for predator hunting.
Once I settle on a load, the Thermion will be mounted and it's going to stay there for awhile.

If this rifle catches on Savage will probably start installing Proof barrels on them. I'd even bet their custom shop will do it now if Proof could get them blanks

If this rifle catches on Savage will probably start installing Proof barrels on them. I'd even bet their custom shop will do it now if Proof could get them blanks
Always thought today's barrels from savage were MOA or better? Unless you are talking about Proof's carbon barrels?

I got my Impulse Predator in 243 last weekend.
Great rifle, but very barrel heavy.
For better balance, Savage should've offered a fluted the barrel on the Predator model, like they did with the longer barreled Big game model.
Trigger was set to 2lbs from the factory and passed the drop test.
The Predator model is short action and only accepts Metal short action AICS magazines.
Pmags will fit with severe modification, but won't function at all because of the amount of material that's removed to make it fit.
Everyone has complained about feeding issues with Savage factory magazines.
Savage was listening and has taken care of the issue.
Even though it uses a barrel extension, they kept the barrel nut.
Being I'm a senior member of the barrel nut community, I salute Savage for doing that and see it as Savage giving the middle finger to the barrel nut hater club.
Bravo Savage !
As with most Savage rifles, it's accurate out of the box.
It was rainy and windy today at the range and it still shot small groups with all of my test loads.
I'm a southpaw and had no issues with brass being ejected from the right side only port.
I actually prefer a right side port, as I can inspect the chamber easier and load single rounds with my right hand without losing grip of the rifle.
Every other function on the rifle is totally ambi.
If it came with a fluted barrel, I wouldn't have one complaint.

SJC
View attachment 7602346
So does it look like it takes standard savage barrels?
What’s the action inlet look like?

So does it look like it takes standard savage barrels?
What’s the action inlet look like?
While I so badly wanted to, I didn't take the receiver apart to check out the barrel extension.
I wanted to shoot it first to see how accurate it was out of the box, before screwing around with it.
I was told that standard shank barrels will fit into the extension, but I haven't confirmed that.
I have a brand new std shank 22" 260 rem chambered criterion match barrel for testing.
The action inlet is totally different than a std rifle, that has a recessed area for the bolt lugs to lock into.
Being it's a straight pull, it's a round hole that the bolt head enters and behind that, there's a circular groove where the bolt's bearings lock into it.
Right now I'm enjoying burning powder with it, so I don't want to take it apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
I've been interested in Savage's new Impulse rifle ever since I read about it. I would never have believed they were smart enough to copy such an elegant design. That wasn't fair. I own more than a few Savage 110s that shoot embarrassingly small groups.
I just saw a YouTube video on a channel called "USOG". I have no idea what that stands for but the host seems very knowledgeable and he's extremely unassuming. He also has a firearms collection I would plot and follow through a murder for. He's over the moon for the Savage Impulse. he couldn't say enough good things about it and he was comparing it to his Heym SR30.
Savage may have a real winner on its hands. The barrels interchange with large shank 110s. So there is already an enormous base to draw from there. I wish the triggers did as well but TriggerTech told me they were working on one. It may take a bit but they're working on it. I'm hoping MDT brings out the ACC chassis for it. I'm also praying that when Savage gets going with this, that they bring it out in a long action. Right now, the longest cartridge they chamber it for is the 300 Win Mag. I shoot 300 RUM, so they need to stretch out the Predator model out a bit so I can use 3.850 AICS mags.

Reactions: devildog93
As I mentioned before , Savage and AICS make a perfect couple.
Add a proof barrel and you've got a threesome that's hard to beat.
I don't mind the Accutrigger on my Impulse.
Mine came with a 2 lb pull from the factory and it can be adjusted without removing it from the stock.
Savage really hit it out of the ball park with the Predator model, just wish it came with a fluted barrel, like the big game model.

Reactions: devildog93
I almost agree. I'm just one of those Accutrigger haters. I can't help it, it's just my finger, blame him. He can't stand the dingus, any dingus. That's why I can't stand Glocks, aside from them being outrageously ugly. I put an ELF trigger in my Savage Elite Precision and I'm in love again, my finger that is. However, I'll make him put up with the dingus for this rifle, till a good replacement comes along, that's how much was impressed by running Impulse's action.

I just really need the Savage brain trust to make the Impulse in a long action. I really need that. My finger doesn't have a preference. I am deep into the Remington Ultra Mag, load development, Norma brass, magnum powders, custom redding dies, a decent X-caliber barrel, and a.....wait for it, a Bartlein barrel on order. As I've said in my original post, a Savage Impulse Elite Precision with a TriggerTech trigger or failing that, ELF trigger, is what my finger and I really want but I'll start out with the Impulse Predator in 308. Running that action in an MDT ACC chassis would be akin to cheating on my ex-wife. I say cheating on my ex-wife because every nickel I spend on guns and motorcycles now is money she intercepted and spent on shoes and handbags. When she got on her broom and flew off it freed up an enormous amount of fun money.

I wish that the Impulse would fit in the 110 chassis/stocks but I'll settle for it using large shank 110 barrels. If Savage hadn't done that, it would have been a total disaster.

Still trying to wrap my brain around the design of the "hexlock" system, I'd love to see an animated "cutaway" of it in operation.
I assume there are corresponding "dimples" for each one in the barrel extension (?)

They have them in long action, big game and hog hunter both have option for 300 wm.
The longest they have is the 300 Win Mag and that just won't do for cartridges like the 300 RUM or 300 PRC that use the 3.850 AICS magazines.

So the bearings expand into a circular "abutment", not significantly different than a standard turnbolt abutment without the cutouts for lug insertion.

Still don't understand how the tiny amount of surface area contact with the ball bearings can handle 10-12,000 lbs of magnum bolt thrust (they mentioned .338 LM) with no deformation. I know I'm incorrect in thinking it, but sure seems you'd get "setback" dimples from those bearings getting pounded back. It's a fraction of the contact surface area you'd have with typical bolt lugs, even though there's six bearings.

Cartridges that sell like 1/1000 compared to the 300 Win Mag to the target market of that rifle.
That may be but I have a great deal invested in the 300 RUM and I prefer it over the 300 Win Mag for my uses. Savage makes the 110 for the 300 PRC which uses the longer action and can take 3.870 AICS magazines. I expect they will make it for longer cartridges, the question is when.

So the bearings expand into a circular "abutment", not significantly different than a standard turnbolt abutment without the cutouts for lug insertion.

Still don't understand how the tiny amount of surface area contact with the ball bearings can handle 10-12,000 lbs of magnum bolt thrust (they mentioned .338 LM) with no deformation. I know I'm incorrect in thinking it, but sure seems you'd get "setback" dimples from those bearings getting pounded back. It's a fraction of the contact surface area you'd have with typical bolt lugs, even though there's six bearings.
No one is questioning the strength of this system. I'm not sure who invented it but it has been out for quite a while in the virtually identical Heym SR30 and as far as I'm aware, there have been not been any reports of action failures of any kind. I'm sure someone has left a cleaning rod in one somewhere and banana peeled the barrel but I can't find anyone getting a face full of bolt due to the thing stripping out of the barrel extension. Of course, I've heard people claim that it's stronger than a traditional turn-bolt but I find that hard to believe.

Wasn't questioning it- which is why I said "I know I'm wrong"- but it's still counterintuitive to me.
Might have something to do with the "lockup" which they state is stronger with increase in bolt thrust; I'm thinking this design might somehow transfer some of the rear thrust outward into radius of the locking ring as well.

Interesting shit, for sure.

It makes for a super slick running action, that is for sure. You don't have to have ultra precisely machined and lapped raceways to make the bolt run like glass. Some years back Colt imported the Colt Sauer rifle. That was a non-reciprocating bolt rifle. Lift the bolt handle and two lugs popped out from the side of the rear of the bolt, turn it back and they retracted. It was also crazy smooth. It's now also crazy priced if you can find one. The cool thing was, like the Impulse, the bolt did not rotate. It just slid back and forth.

My impulse's action has gotten smoother with use.
Right out of the box, it was smoother with the bolt in the right hand configuration.
As usual, right handed shooters get preferential treatment.
The Impulse's barrel extension and bolt's components + bearings are heat treated, so lockup is very strong.
I was told that Savage is waiting to see how the rifle is accepted in the states before they dump more money into it.
Meaning that their not going to be offering it any cartridge that won't fit into a std SA/LA receiver and magazine anytime soon.
So, No straight pull RUM for you, unless you open the vault and buy a Blaser R8 or from another expensive straight pull rifle manufacturer from across the pond.

Still not getting the "barrel extension", I can't discern anything about the design from the cutaway animations.

My impulse's action has gotten smoother with use.
Right out of the box, it was smoother with the bolt in the right hand configuration.
As usual, right handed shooters get preferential treatment.
The Impulse's barrel extension and bolt's components + bearings are heat treated, so lockup is very strong.
I was told that Savage is waiting to see how the rifle is accepted in the states before they dump more money into it.
Meaning that their not going to be offering it any cartridge that won't fit into a std SA/LA receiver and magazine anytime soon.
So, No straight pull RUM for you, unless you open the vault and buy a Blaser R8 or from another expensive straight pull rifle manufacturer from across the pond.
Yeah, I get that and it makes sense. I just hope it's not orphaned. It's too sweet for that. I can certainly "make do" with the long action and 3.750 AICS magazine but it needs a chassis. Preferably the MDT AAC.
As far as going elsewhere for a straight pull, nope. I'm going to hope and pray that the Impulse is enough of a success for Savage to mainstream it.

Still not getting the "barrel extension", I can't discern anything about the design from the cutaway animations.
Barrel screws into extension.
Extension with barrel attached is then inserted into the receiver and mechanically locked into place.
A lot of rifle manufacturers use this type of method.
That lovely barrel nut means you can change barrels yourself.
If Savage makes barrel extensions available, you can have multiple barrels head spaced and ready to go.
Of course you'd have to remove the action from the stock to do it, so it's not as easy to swap barrels as a DT or AI.
If MDT does make a chassis for it, I'm sure someone with some skill could find a way to make the extension retaining bolts accessible.
That would be awesome.

Any new information on the Savage Impulse? I'm curious about sales, aftermarket support, and just general acceptance of the design.

I sincerely hope it does well. I’d love to see more straight pull rifles on the market.

It's such a clean and sweet design. It makes most other bolt-action rifles seem a bit crude in comparison.

I am excited about it. I have one on layaway at Buds. I'd recommend signing up for notifications and they will get you one.

Only 5 came in when I got mine.

If I like it I am going to buy another one in 22-250.

Stock and trigger are on the first two things I want to change when I figure out how to do that. Hopefully an Elftman or someone else will make the trigger.

I am excited about it. I have one on layaway at Buds. I'd recommend signing up for notifications and they will get you one.

Only 5 came in when I got mine.

If I like it I am going to buy another one in 22-250.

Stock and trigger are on the first two things I want to change when I figure out how to do that. Hopefully an Elftman or someone else will make the trigger.
As my Grandmother used to say, "from your lips to God's ears". I wonder if it's ok with God to pray for a rifle?

I am going to order a A-5 or T6-A after it gets here if I still like it and screw on a proof 300 Win prefit.

If it just pisses me off it will end up in the classifieds section.

Do they have inlets or are you just going to inlet it yourself ?

That, my friend, is exactly what I want. Impulse action, MDT ACC chassis, Elmann trigger (or Trigger tech), and a Bartein barrel.
If they prove reliable, I might do just that with a 6.5 PRC