• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SAVAGE Long Range Precision Varminter -- Mark 4 8.

trx680

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
Dinwiddie Virginia
I'm trying to assemble my new rifle and so far I've got:
Savage LRPV w/accutrigger .223 http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...25x50mm-lrt-m1/

I've got a place to shoot with a 1200 yard field so I might as well set the gun up to try to shooting that far. What I mean by that it having the scope being able to adjust for 1000+ yards. I'll need a 20 MOA scope base and decent 30mm scope rings. I've got over $2200 invested in this set-up already so I dont want to skimp in the base and rings. I've searched the websites and found many different manufacturers with prices from $70 to $170 for the 20 MOA base. Havent looked for rings yet.

Whats everyones opinion on a decent brand base and rings?

The rifle has a 1 in 7 " twist and I'll be shooting a higher grain .223 so I'm hoping I will be able to reach out there and this will all be worth it !!!

THANKS !

Re: SAVAGE Long Range Precision Varminter -- Mark

EGW 20 moa base and Burris XTR rings is very good setup for around $100 total. You will need XTR 30mm <span style="font-weight: bold">Low</span> rings with the 50mm scope you have.

223 is not a 1000 yard rifle, 500 yards is about it.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW 20 moa base and Burris XTR rings is very good setup for around $100 total. You will need XTR 30mm <span style="font-weight: bold">Low</span> rings with the 50mm scope you have.

GC</div></div>

tell that to the guys that shoot it at Camp Perry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW 20 moa base and Burris XTR rings is very good setup for around $100 total. You will need XTR 30mm <span style="font-weight: bold">Low</span> rings with the 50mm scope you have.

GC </div></div>

Really? 500 yards is maximum, eh? I'm glad you told me, I was not aware of that. Does that mean I need to return my classifications and trophies because I shot a .223 at more than 500 yards?

You can shoot a 22LR @ 1000 yards but does that make it an effective round at that distance.

Windy breezy days will be a challenge.

GC

Max100: Yaddah, yaddah...

TRX680: You might want to look at Ken Farrell bases, Warne bases and also Burris Optics with their Signature rings; their unique mounting system allows you to build in 20MOA or more in the rings themselves.

With that 26 inch barrel in a 1:7 twist you will be able to shoot the 80gr bullets and keep them supersonic to a 1000 yards, you have a good setup there, enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223 is not a 1000 yard rifle, 500 yards is about it.

GC </div></div>

Gulp, I guess Ive been breaking rules as well. Learn to read the wind and it is more than capable with the right bullet.

i have a 6br norma savage lrpv. it shoots bug holes @ 300yds. reading the wind and shooting form took me a while to get right but once i did the rifle seemed to come to life. most rifles will out shoot their owners.seating depth and good brass along with proper reloading will really get any rifle to work well.

one more thing , i watched a man shoot a 223 at 870 yds. seemed he hit his target more then he missed.

Loctite makes this stuff called "Black Max". I believe it was originally developed for keeping front sight blades in less than perfect dovetails. I use it a sort of bedding compound for bases. Very few actions are close to perfect so it fills the small voids. I was slightly off in the placement of a base & was not able to pick it off the action. I slight "rap" with a small rubber hammer was all that was needed to dislodge for another attempt. I'm pretty sure acetone will cut it after it sets up. Worked for me.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223 is not a 1000 yard rifle, 500 yards is about it.

GC </div></div>

Gulp, I guess Ive been breaking rules as well. Learn to read the wind and it is more than capable with the right bullet.
</div></div>

Join the club.

I guess when most people think .223 they think of 55gr or 62gr bullets. The 80gr JLK I use have a claimed BC of .510 and my several dozen matches at 1000 yards seem to agree with that figure, plus or minus 10-15 points either way depending on the day. This is very similar to the 175gr SMK bullet. My bullet is still supersonic at 1000 yards, so if Max wants to test it out, it would be like being hit by the equivalent of two .22LR bullets at the muzzle, but a 1000 yards out. I bet that would get his attention. All I need it to do is punch the paper, but I would not want to catch it.

GC </div></div>IF 500yds is max, then explain to me how with a 1-7 twist barrel like he has above, can this guy shoot accurately to ONE MILE!

http://longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

Sig685, yeah i guess we will all have to turn in our classifications and awards since 500 yards is about it for .223. That's weird though because I have cleaned the highpower 600 yard target with a .223 service rifle, which means 20 consecutive shots would be inside of a 12 inch circle. That's with open sights and off a sling MAX100 just in case you didn't know.

Impressive, sl78928, and if Sinister were here, he would remind us that the first ever Service Rifle 1000 yard clean was done with an AR15/M16, I think about 4-5 years ago.

You 223 fellers are touchy! You know what they say, "Size doesn't matter"
wink.gif
smile.gif
tired.gif

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You 223 fellers are touchy! You know what they say, "Size doesn't matter"
wink.gif
smile.gif
tired.gif

GC </div></div>
LOL, just think the 223 should get the credit its due

not meaning to hijack this thread, but since its on 223's i guess ill ask

so i own a bushmaster varminter AR (1:9 twist 6 groove 24" barrel)

looking to shoot accurately to 600yards max. any suggestions on bullets i should try/be using (looking at getting into hand loading) ive been reading on the 75gr A-max but i know it wont fit in the mag, so is single shot AR and option? i would be fine with the single shot as long as it does not harm the gun

eventually id like to get a better caliber for 400min-1000 yard shooting

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eventually id like to get a better caliber for 400min-1000 yard shooting</div></div>

You step right in it like I did. You need a 1:7" twist barrel for shooting heavier longer bullets.

GC

MAX100: What the hell is a RILE?

jv101: The 75 A-max will probably work for you at 600 and it's definitely not a mag-length bullet. You may also want to look at the 75gr Berger offerings, those are excellent. The 75gr Hornady HPBT is another choice and that's mag-length. The 69gr SMK may do the trick too, but it will be a toy in the wind.

Sorry to say that the 1:9 twist is really not suited for the long, heavy-for-caliber bullets; it's a great all-around plinking twist, targeted at people who live their lives thinking the .223 is a 500 yard bullet, maximum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAX100: What the hell is a RILE?

jv101: The 75 A-max will probably work for you at 600 and it's definitely not a mag-length bullet. You may also want to look at the 75gr Berger offerings, those are excellent. The 75gr Hornady HPBT is another choice and that's mag-length. The 69gr SMK may do the trick too, but it will be a toy in the wind.

Sorry to say that the 1:9 twist is really not suited for the long, heavy-for-caliber bullets; it's a great all-around plinking twist, targeted at people who live their lives thinking the .223 is a 500 yard bullet, maximum. </div></div>

yeh i know 1:9 probably isnt the best! but i picked up this thing almost new for $900. anyway if you do mind can i PM you so i dont hijack this gentlemans thread?

Very happy with TPS rings and bases. When I ordered, they had a bit of a wait like 2 - 3 months. Not sure now. I would get steel picatinney rings and a 1 pc bases. Bed the base to the action with steel bed and you should have no issues. Of course, use release compound on the rifle side.

+1 for seekins rings. I shoot almost soley savage model 10 and 12's and I have egw,warne,farrell 20moa bases. I would lean towards the warne base as my fave, but the others all work well. remember when you buy your base you will probably have to buy it for the left hand action, because the ejection port is on the left side.

just my .02cents but I would probably have the barrel reamed out to 223 AI it made a huge velocity gain in my savage.

Ken Farrel makes a base specifically for the LRPV. There is no cutout on the bottom of the rail like most mounts due to fact that the ejection port is so small on the target actions. They fit and look really nice. The Farrel rails are pretty tall so you should be able to run low rings. He also makes matched sets (rail& rings).