• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage LRH on the WAY

RFtinkerer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
I've been looking at the Savage LRH in 300 WM for a few months now, had myself set to buy when my wife talked me out of it.
frown.gif
I set myself to wait for another year, when she turned around and ordered it for my Father's Day/birthday/prob next Christmas...
laugh.gif

WOOHOO! Now to scope it, hmmm...I put a Vortex PST 6-24 on my .22, should I share? Get another?

Re: Savage LRH on the WAY

I too have an LRH on the way (308). It will be married to a Leupold M4 L/RT 6.5-20 Ill. TMR when it arrives.

Please, as soon as you get a chance to shoot it, video tape it and post some results. I'm very very interested in how the LRH will perform. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but there really haven't been a whole lot of reviews given the fact its a relatively new rifle. Please keep me posted!

As for a scope, I think your Vortex is ideal. Go ahead and use that for your 300 and buy another scope for your 22. You don't really need the most expensive high quality scope for a 22 imo.

I agree the Vortex PST is too much for the .22, I actually ordered it for the LRH when I was building for it, and never let my wife know how much it cost (shhh). After the LRH deal fell through, I put the scope on my .22 and have been GROSSLY spoiled by it. I can't go back to the el cheapo scope! Oh the pain, the pain...

I'll answer my own question...I'm just going to share the scope for now. I will probably just get a Picatinny rail for both the .22 and 300, write the zero settings for each and compensate. Hopefully it won't be too much of a bother. Not $900 worth, anyway. That may not be exciting to a lot of you here, but it is to me; I've been bragging all morning to my coworkers. I'm one of THOSE people.

Just buy a Bushnell. Besides, it's always nice to have a backup scope in case something horrible happens to your original scope. What if, the day before a hunt, you drop your gun and the reticule shatters?

It's always nice to have that backup. Spend a couple hundred on a nice Bushnell and enjoy the security that it will bring...not to mention not having to hassle with sharing a scope.

My problem is I'm worried about throwing money away on scopes that don't live up to my "needs". (I should put heavier quotes around the "needs".) I "need" good turrets, a good reticle, lotsa zoom--everything the Vortex PST 6-24 is satifying right now. The whole point of the .22 is practicing for the higher power rifle. I have 2 el cheapo scopes I can't stand to put on the rifle now. I'm spoiled. What would I do if I looked through a Schmidt and Bender or Hensoldt??? Thank God I don't have any rich friends with those. My poor kids would need to get jobs NOW to afford my habit...

I appreciate the lower cost alternatives. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do right now. I don't even have the LRH yet, so I'll throw the PST on it once it gets here and see what I can live with.

Well, I'm $750 poorer. I was shooting my .22 this morning, and decided I "just couldn't live without" (quotes again) a Vortex PST on both rifles. So I just ordered a Vortex PST 6-24x50, but this time with SFP reticle. Saved $150 (heh) over the FFP, and frankly, I'm not sure which I prefer. I'll find out and swap accordingly if needed. I figured if I could slip one PST in under the radar, maybe I can get away with two...just have to slip some funds around...famous last words.

I'll complete the build with a NF 20 MOA base and Vortex rings. Should be good to go. Now to find a place to shoot 1000 yds.