• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage magazine

sam626

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2011
stilwell, kansas
I know that I'm probably going to catch hell for admitting that I own a Savage, but here goes. I have one of the newer center feed detachable magazine models in .223. It is a model 10 FLCP-K. I would really like to have a little more mag capacity than what the factory 4 rounder offers. I have found some 10 shot mags for the 308 size, but so far no luck on the .223. Does anybody make them? Anybody on the Hide know where I can find something?

Re: Savage magazine

well, owning the same rifle, I have experienced the same dilemma. From what I have gathered, you'll have to get a DBM set-up, such as CDI but you're stock will have to be inletted for it to fit. If you get the DBM from CDI, I believe the cost for inletting is about $60.00.

look in the other hi cap savage thread and ask z71rat or darkeagle as they both make 308 high caps now. there are plenty of savage shooters on here, dont be ashamed.

cdi will drop in if the footprint of the DBM is the same for the 308 as the 223. then the aics plastic mags are 223 and the fit the 308 DBM. i think. i dont have a 223 so i just skim the posts about it, but i think thats whats up

I dont run into to too many rifles that shoot the same quarter inch groups that my Savage shoots. I used to not like Savages until I shot one. Now I see John Plaster has become a Savage man. Funny how shit changes.

Im kind of curious how the internal magazine on your savage compares to the 10, 20 and 30 round m4 magazines.
Im waiting for a polymer ar10 magazine so i can try to create a hybrid high capacity mag for my 7mm08.
I have a crap load of m4 mags sitting around so ive been looking at their construction for ideas as I may make my own mags out of sheet steel or aluminum.

If the dimensions are similar I would think that you could hack the two together and go from there.

A little ingenuity can get you places you never imagined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boanerges57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im kind of curious how the internal magazine on your savage compares to the 10, 20 and 30 round m4 magazines.
Im waiting for a polymer ar10 magazine so i can try to create a hybrid high capacity mag for my 7mm08.
I have a crap load of m4 mags sitting around so ive been looking at their construction for ideas as I may make my own mags out of sheet steel or aluminum.

If the dimensions are similar I would think that you could hack the two together and go from there.

A little ingenuity can get you places you never imagined. </div></div>
That is a hell of an idea. Off the top of my head I know the mag catch is in a different place, but I will do some looking into it to see if it can be done.

Cally Kevin at Stockadegunstocks.com, he has some with bottom metal and all.

Accurate-Mag has drop-in bottom metal that fits the factory inlet and uses AICS mags; their group buy just closed but if you PM them you might be able to swing a deal.

Hard to beat AICS 223 mags, and hard to beat Triad Tactical on the price.

Does anyone make bottom metal compatible with the new bottom bolt release savages?
If the magazines are about the same size it would be simple to punch a new mag release hole in the rear of the mag.

I believe the 223 based rifles from savage are still staggered feed arent they?

I have the CDI Bottom metal on my .223 FCP-K.

It wasn't exactly drop-in.

I had to spend a fair amount of time with the Dremel to get it to fit.

I had to grind off some of the bolt head lugs to allow the bolt to come back farther to pick longer rounds.

The bottom bolt release is just a lever and is now hidden up inside the trigger area - I just noodle it with my finger and it works fine. CDI makes a little press on piece of aluminum but mine cracked and it was essentially a non-issue.

I still have some feeding issues with long pointy bullets like the AMAX but just haven't had time to work on it. I think I may need to grind in a feed ramp or try to get the mag to sit a hair higher.

These are my observations so far.

Most newer savages are all center feed.

I have a dark eagle 10 round mag for my savage model 10 PC and it works very well.

I also have 2 darkeagle 10rds magazines for my 10 FCP ... Those mags , as far as I am concern are state of the art magazines and beautifully finished .
Mine are .308 mags , so I don`t know if Dan (darkeagle) would also make them for .223 but he is a nice guy , so call himn or email him and ask .

Dan says the 223 magazine is in the works and that he will keep me updated, so I think that I will just wait for him.

Can somebody better with the search feature than I am find some contact for darkeagle? I'll keep digging but having it for others to find would be nice as well. Great find this morning.

Thanks for the tip AXEMAN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savager</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can somebody better with the search feature than I am find some contact for darkeagle? I'll keep digging but having it for others to find would be nice as well. Great find this morning.

Thanks for the tip AXEMAN </div></div>

[email protected]

Reading their site I was actually touched. This is a man who can have my hard-earned money on anything Savage I need. I was going to post just the last part but after thinking about it for a minute I feel like if I cut it short it'd take away from the story.

Additionally, I just found these folks 15 minutes ago and so have no affiliation with them. If this borders a rule of some kind please understand what my intentions are to share what I've found with others and not to advertise anyone's personal business. The story was touching so I'm sharing it. This may be old news to some but it's new to me and I think it's a story worth sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Located in the heart of the Finger Lakes of New York, Darkeagle Custom Inc is operated solely by Dan Shumway. Dan's machining experience started over 34 years ago at the age of 16 and he has been shooting and hunting since he was old enough to hold a gun.

"I taught my son Danny to shoot at age 3 with a 22 rimfire in the basement. There has not been a better student. Over the years he became an impressive marksman and has many awards to his name. Attaining NRA Distinguished expert in 3-position smallbore both right and left handed, he was an avid F-class shooter, and an excellent hunter as well.

He was always by my side while building guns and reloading and was soon building his own rifles for competition. By age 18 he attained a level most shooters only aspire to reach.

Simply put - The student had become the teacher.

And so the plans were started for a father and son gunsmithing business when Danny finished with gunsmithing school but in 2005, the year he was to start, a tragic accident took my son and that dream. After a short hiatus, I started building again and felt I needed to carry on what was started."

Danny was known on all the shooting forums (particular Snipers Hide) as Darkeagle - hence the business name. </div></div>

http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/about.html

I think Sharp Shooter only carries the 308 size mags. And they are for the Acme system or to convert a factory savage mag. BTW- the savages are some of the best bang for your bucks.

sharpshooters makes high cap mags that fit in the stock dbm mag wells but i think they only make them for 308 u might call and check

sss takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and a day

if you have a 223, i think you can get a 308 CDI DBM and it will take the AI poly mags in 223. i think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the CDI Bottom metal on my .223 FCP-K.

It wasn't exactly drop-in.

I had to spend a fair amount of time with the Dremel to get it to fit.

I had to grind off some of the bolt head lugs to allow the bolt to come back farther to pick longer rounds.

The bottom bolt release is just a lever and is now hidden up inside the trigger area - I just noodle it with my finger and it works fine. CDI makes a little press on piece of aluminum but mine cracked and it was essentially a non-issue.

I still have some feeding issues with long pointy bullets like the AMAX but just haven't had time to work on it. I think I may need to grind in a feed ramp or try to get the mag to sit a hair higher.

These are my observations so far.

Most newer savages are all center feed.
</div></div>

Spent some time on it and it works great now. Feeds full mag length bullets perfectly.

I had to move the mag catch lever up one hole (it came with two holes drilled) and then grind a little off the top.

Also, I should clarify that I had to grind some metal off the stroke limiter not the bolt head. This allows the bolt to come farther back and pick up the longer cartridges.

9861.jpg

Also some good guys on here that might have the goods you need are i_rep and ForceMultiplier. Both are greats guys and know savages well.

sss does take awhile unless you live around there then it is easy to get them and u dont have to do any mods

Savager,

I don't want to hijack the thread but thanks for the kind words - i don't think there will be any trouble with the posting as Danny used to shoot with Frank, in fact, Frank drove many hours to attend the funeral as did several other hide members.

A quick update, I am working on 223/204 10 round mags but got caught up in a flurry of rifles to build which cut my time from the mags. I have a few prototypes that are currently holding nine rounds but not quite happy with them just yet and of course want to make them hold ten. I may just sell them as holding 9 so I can get working on some a little deeper to hold 10 - just need to clone myself.

I also made a few WSM boxes that I sent out to some guys to test and they worked great - they hold 5 rounds in the same space that fits 10 308 rounds! Just need time to make some more.

Again thanks for the kind words - not a day goes by that I don't wish he could be by my side to see our dream becoming a reality.

Dan

Has anyone put one of the OEM detachable mag kits into a 308 savage with a Mcmillan BM stock.