• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Manners Stock Alternative

svana

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2014
Hi everyone, long time lurker but finally getting the gumption to post.

I’ve got a savage 11vt in .308 with the bottom bolt release and 4 round DBM that honestly has been a great rifle in the ~10 years I’ve owned it. I took it to Ed Shell’s long range course at CVT and he had me shooting sub MOA at 1000yds by the end of the weekend with nothing but a good optic and bipod. I’d like to use it to get into PRS and the main hurdles I was coming across was wanting to use a 10rd mag and upgrade the Tupperware stock to a Manners T2.

As for the DBM unfortunately due to the bottom bolt release the only remaining solution I’ve found was PGT bottom metal. I know they’re not held in the highest regard here but it looks like it can be purchased from Midway, so this instills a little more confidence in customer service and delivery time.

Now for the problem at hand. I called Manners today to inquire about getting a T2 made and was told that they’re no longer building any Savage stocks anymore. This was a pretty major setback in how I wanted to approach the build. I had considered a McMillan A3 but I like the wider foreend of the T2. I don’t particularly care for a chassis either which makes me feel like I’m running out of options. I’ve seen a few other manufacturers that build stocks for em (Boyd’s is another that comes to mind) but I just don’t feel like they’re as good of quality and customization as Manners was.

Do any Savage owners have any recommendation as to how best proceed?

I liked my grs stock I had when I owned a savage they make good stocks and aren’t flimsy I don’t shoot prs tho… I know they always have you shoot in wierd positions so maybe the grs isn’t the best option

I liked my grs stock I had when I owned a savage they make good stocks and aren’t flimsy I don’t shoot prs tho… I know they always have you shoot in wierd positions so maybe the grs isn’t the best option
Thanks. Ya admittedly those aren’t ideal, but it least it’s an option. I’m not a huge fan of the hook along the butt as I like to be able to slide a bag under there for adjustment and it snags on the hook.
Not exactly the cheapest, could you purchase a flat top from Manners and have someone inlet it and it wouldn't be a mini chassis? Like this LRI service? https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle.../products/gunsmithing-services-pillar-bedding
This is true - definitely a pricey route to go but might be the only way to really get what I want. Would be a matter of finding a smith worth his salt though. Going this route I suppose it would still involve buying the bottom metal separately and sending both that and the action to the smith, ya?

Savage Bravo stocks by KRG are shipping now or soon.

Also Ed Shell? I did a class with him years ago, great fun.
Thanks, but was hoping to stay away from a chassis if I could. And agreed - one of the best courses I’ve ever taken. I’d go back if we hadn’t moved back to FL although I’m not sure if he’s still teaching. Last I heard he had suspended his lessons and was ill, I hope he’s doing better.

Thanks, but was hoping to stay away from a chassis if I could. And agreed - one of the best courses I’ve ever taken. I’d go back if we hadn’t moved back to FL although I’m not sure if he’s still teaching. Last I heard he had suspended his lessons and was ill, I hope he’s doing better.
The KRG Bravo and MDT XRS are the two stock-ish chassis out there, I’d give them a look before dropping Manners money on a Savage.

Finding aftermarket support for the savages can be tough and you won’t get much return on investment. You may consider just getting a Tikka ctr or Bergara HMR. They’ll both work fine for PRS type stuff if you’re new and they’re easier to customize later. Also, if you don’t like the Bergara stock, you can sell it and get something like a grey boe for a couple hundred more than you sell the HMR stock for

The KRG Bravo and MDT XRS are the two stock-ish chassis out there, I’d give them a look before dropping Manners money on a Savage.

I have the MDT XRS and love it. Heavy enough to be stable, but not a back breaker. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either.

I have the MDT XRS and love it. Heavy enough to be stable, but not a back breaker. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either.
Ugh. Just looked at the XRS and while it’s closer to a traditional stock than most it’s just not my cup of tea. Not a huge fan of the butt and I can’t get a solid gauge on foreend width. I appreciate the recommendations though, gives me a solid idea of what’s out there at this point.

LRI inletting

Here’s what you want. You won’t regret it. I’ve had em do a few and it’s always the best option when the usual suspects won’t make a stock for your action.

Not exactly the cheapest, could you purchase a flat top from Manners and have someone inlet it and it wouldn't be a mini chassis? Like this LRI service? https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle.../products/gunsmithing-services-pillar-bedding

LRI inletting

Here’s what you want. You won’t regret it. I’ve had em do a few and it’s always the best option when the usual suspects won’t make a stock for your action.
Just realized both mentioned LRI specifically - seems like it might be one of the only ways to go at this point if I was intent on sticking with a T2. Of course cost effectiveness goes out the window with this route but I guess then again who gets into this with the intent of saving money…

THE KRG has all of the advantages of a chassis with the interface of a traditional stock, take a look.

OP you know what you want, jsut bite the bullet and get it. Or better still, keep your little Savage just as it is, get a fairly inexpensive custom action that will fit the Manners stock you like and go there. That way, you always have the Savage to practice with and a nice rifle to also practice and compete with.

Point, in the end, trying to make a square peg really fit the round hole is doable, but by the time you spend the dollars, you could have purchased a really nice round peg that fits the hole much better.

Or better still, keep your little Savage just as it is, get a fairly inexpensive custom action that will fit the Manners stock you like and go there.

This is the best advice on this thread. Why would you want to spend north of $1500 on what amounts to a ~$300 action? I get it - my first rifle was a Savage. I learned on it, got it shooting well, rebarrelled it to a different caliber, added a bunch of stuff to it, and basically got it as good as I could get it. It hasn't seen the light of day in years.

Pick an action you like, get a Manners stock for said action, then apply the $750 you would have spent getting the stock custom inletted toward a new barreled action.

As an example, a barreled action for an Origin from PVA is $1600. Add a decent trigger for $150, and you're at $1750. Take off the $750 you'd be saving on the inletting job and you're at $1000 over what you would have spent on your Savage to get a rifle that's 1) new, 2) much better all around, and 3) going to stand up better under fire, so to speak.

Just some advice from someone who already went down the road you're thinking of beginning.

This is the best advice on this thread. Why would you want to spend north of $1500 on what amounts to a ~$300 action? I get it - my first rifle was a Savage. I learned on it, got it shooting well, rebarrelled it to a different caliber, added a bunch of stuff to it, and basically got it as good as I could get it. It hasn't seen the light of day in years.

Pick an action you like, get a Manners stock for said action, then apply the $750 you would have spent getting the stock custom inletted toward a new barreled action.

As an example, a barreled action for an Origin from PVA is $1600. Add a decent trigger for $150, and you're at $1750. Take off the $750 you'd be saving on the inletting job and you're at $1000 over what you would have spent on your Savage to get a rifle that's 1) new, 2) much better all around, and 3) going to stand up better under fire, so to speak.

Just some advice from someone who already went down the road you're thinking of beginning.
I appreciate the input. I’d say the simplified answer to the question would be because I don’t feel like I’m outshooting the rifle. Should the time come where I feel the rifle’s the weak link, I’d feel justified in looking at a completely new setup.

That being said, given what many have advised could indicate that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze on a T2 - but the compromise is indeed going the chassis route or something similar until the new rifle comes along and then going Manners at that point. Not what I came into it thinking what I’d want, but gets the job done well enough. Plus, if my mind had already been made up it wouldn’t be worth asking, eh?

I appreciate the input. I’d say the simplified answer to the question would be because I don’t feel like I’m outshooting the rifle. Should the time come where I feel the rifle’s the weak link, I’d feel justified in looking at a completely new setup.

I think that's a fair and honest statement.

(You know there's a "however" coming... )

However... :)

It's not about outshooting the rifle. After all my upgrades, my Savage shoots every bit as well as my custom of the same caliber. Yet, after putting a couple thousand rounds through it, it was more the form and fit (and some function) that pushed me away from it. One of those, you are already finding one that was getting at me: the stock. Another was the trigger. Another was the barrel. Another was the integral vs. non-integral rail. Another was wanting an Arca rail underneath (didn't do that one). When I was done, I spent almost as much in upgrades as I would have on getting a whole new rifle... and I still wanted more.

You'll get a whole lot of Savage hate coming at you on this forum. I don't hate my Savage. It's like that old car that you want to be a classic, but really isn't. It needs some work, but your time is spent on better things. You should sell it, but you spent forever upgrading that you just can't find it in your heart to get rid of. So, it sits in your garage with a cover over it taking up space.

While you might not be outshooting the rifle, you are on a very similar track to the one I was on. You know there are deficiencies and want to upgrade. Take that knowledge you have, get some input on the items where you're currently lacking insight, and put together the car that goes into the other side of your garage... the one where the garage door actually works :)

Do any Savage owners have any recommendation as to how best proceed?
Buy an Origin and any Remington pattern stock you like. Use the Savage barrel until you're ready for another barrel.

or

There used to be takeoff LRP stocks in the px. Maybe one could be dremelled for the bottom safety, don't know.

My only Savage experience is an F/TR and Target actions. When my large shank barrels are done, the actions will be sold.

Buy an Origin and any Remington pattern stock you like. Use the Savage barrel until you're ready for another barrel.

or

There used to be takeoff LRP stocks in the px. Maybe one could be dremelled for the bottom safety, don't know.

My only Savage experience is an F/TR and Target actions. When my large shank barrels are done, the actions will be sold.
this every day

get a mini chassis manners and an origin

throw your current savage barrel on the origin

get a new trigger

done. same accurate gun but way more suited to the task at hand and honestly about the same cost

Reactions: Krob95
I have a pair of 11VT's (223/308) in Choate Tactical Stocks.

Since I'm taller, I need some more LOP; and Choate sells additional stock spacers separately.

"The Tactical stock has a full length aluminum bedding block for added strength, an adjustable spacer system allowing for .75" (Midway did NOT provide any spacer) of adjustment in length of pull, a rail integrated into the bottom of the forend to mount a bipod and four swivel studs (I removed mine, far too heavy for a bench gun) for customized carry options. This stock takes the Savage factory detachable magazine actions with action screws spacing of 4.4" center to center."
Choate logo

The spacers shown above provide a 1/2" modification, and they can be stacked; but longer mounting screws must be purchased (from your local hardware store).

Hawkeye cheek height adjustment.

If a barrel replacement is needed (to alter chambering, etc...), they are available. Mine are fine with the original Savage factory barrels.

Greg

Last edited: