• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark II EGW base hole locations?

mbrittan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Southern Wisconsin
I got a new EGW base for my Savage MarkII. The port cut out is the right size, but the hole locations are not correct. My rifle is several years old, so I was wondering if anyone could measure the hole spacing on their MarkII? Maybe the hole locations changed over the years.

Re: Savage Mark II EGW base hole locations?

I believe the older MKII has the 1 3/8" ejection port, While the newer MK II is based off the 93 and has a 1 5/8" ejection port.

In regards to the spacing of the holes I'm not quite sure, Id measure mine for you except I leave my rifles at my Pops house. Seeing as I have an apartment its not quite practical for me to drag them around.

Back on topic.. My only thought is you have the 1 5/8" base and the 1 3/8" ejection port so technically there is proper clearance but still being the wrong base. EGW makes a base for both ports. Hope this helped some.

the boys at egw explained it to me as i had the same problem. according to egw:

savage a a bad run of receivers that the holes where incorreclty spaced and drilled as compared to earlier and later models. the receivers weren't bad, just the mounting holes drilled in them. since they included a two piece bases with the rifle, savage didn't think it was a problem as it didn't comprimise saftey or performance.

they (egw) took my base back and replaced it with a 20 moa base that had no holes in it and had to be drilled by my smith to fit the receiver. if you contact them, they'll set you up, great customer service.

Do any of the holes line up or are they all off?

TIA

cool.gif

The rear two holes and the port are good. The front two holes are about .100" to the front, showing maybe half the action hole when you look down through the base. I have been talking to EGW also. They got back to me saying that someone else had a problem with hole locations, and asked me to send measurements from my action to him. Sounds like they might drill one for my action, and send it out. The blank base would work for me too, I could drill and countersink the holes at work.

sounds like the same problem i had, 2 on 2 off. they took care of it though with the blank base, as the smith drills them exactly.

Update:

EGW did a swap with me, my base for a new one without holes. It came sometime last week, and I got around to drilling and countersinking the holes on Wednesday after work. Mounted everything up Satuday morning, and shot it Saturday afternoon.

All's good. A stand-up company with good customer service.