• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark II vs 10/22 with Green Mountain BRL

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Ok I'm on the fense here. This will primarily be my trainer for my Custom Savage bolt gun. However I want to also be able to drop it into a stock for my daughter later down the road and be able to use it for 22 Competitions for her later down the road.

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of each. If I can get pics of targets, ranges, and current modifications for both I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Merritt

Re: Savage Mark II vs 10/22 with Green Mountain BRL

I picked up a mk II TR this summer and love it. my best group is .269" at 50 yds shooting prone with bipod and no rear bag. I was shooting sk standard plus.

I have a 10/22 with a clerke barrel, rt trigger/adjustable sear/hammer and love it as well. i've never shot it for groups. mostly shooting cci mini mags out of this rifle.

IMG_9739.jpg

Hey man, Ive only shot cci standard velocity out of mine. It will hold about a half inch at 50 without flyers. I have a bottom of the line MKII. Sold it yesterday to a friend and I am getting a MKII BTV tomorrow.

I think you should own them both... but since you asked for one and your primary issue is as a trainer for another Savage? Savage 100.000,000%

i got rid of my savage mkI fvt because scoped only about 1/2 the time it would shoot 1/4" @ 25y. my cz was shooting groups half that size at that distance with the same ammo on the same day. i dont have a GM barrel, but a lot of the guys on RFC love them. i have a clark on my 10/22 and a kidd on my wifes, they squeek by my cz at every distance.

my wife went from a cz 452 american that would struggle to hold 1/2" at 50y with the best ammo, while my 452 varmint was shooting .3s at 50y. i think with an out of the box rifle its a roll of the dice. when you buy a good barrel you pretty well know what you are getting and what it will shoot.

i wish my savage woulda been as accurate as the ones many guys have. i also got sick of replacing extractor springs on my FVT every 4 bricks of ammo.

I have no exp with the 10/22, but I love my Savage MkII FV, even in the factory form it shoots well. With better glass and optics I believe it will be even better. Will shoot 1/2" at 50 every time and holds around MOA + or - at 100(generally about 1.5 MOA though). This is with Wolf MT.And my cheap Wally world Centerpoint 4-16x40 usually at 10x which is where it is supposed to Mil correctly.
Eric

If primarily used as a trainer for a bolt gun you shoud get a bolt gun to train with ? Savage Tr, mine shoots 1/2 moa at 50 yrds.

I have both, and the Savage Mk II will outshoot my Ruger. I still feel that the consistant lock-up of a bolt gun will give one a little better accuracy. JMHO.

I have a 10/22 and its fun to play with and everything but its not that accurate. I think I'd rather spend the money on a bolt gun to get the most accuracy for the money and without having to replace EVERYTHING.

Also, Manners started a group buy for the T4's for Savages. (I forget which model).

Savage Mark 2 TR out of the box with no mods. Fired this group Tuesday after remounting scope and getting on paper at 50 yds, prone, bipod, rear bag. From a 10 round mag the 3 shots outside the diamond were from scope adjustment. The other 7 fitted nicely under a dime. Never had a 10/22 but would like to get one someday.

savage1.jpg

savage.jpg

How about you take my MKII for a test drive tomorrow and see for yourself. She has a new paint job since the last time you seen her!
wink.gif

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

Savage Mark II TRR...with the SR...if needed. I love it!

I've been able to stabilize a full range of ammunition. Hyper velocity to the 60 grain Aguila SSS. I'm shooting it suppressed...shit ton O' fun...and getting great results. Point of impact changes with each type of ammunition but the 40 grain Remington subsonics and 60 grain Aguila's are stangely very close to point of impact.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLGb1bKIvf8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLGb1bKIvf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have a Savage Mark 2 and love it. Extremely Accurate.

I also have several Ruger 10/22s and love them. They are accurate. But can't touch the Savage.

They are different types of guns. I have not modified the Rugers or added better barrels. I suppose they would dramatically effect the accuracy, but I would still bet on my Savage.

Here is a typical group from my clark barrel 10/22 at 50y with lapua center x.

100_3505.jpg

outside to outside greasemark is .50", subtract .21" outside to outside of measure shots = .29" center to center group. my savage FVT was shooting .23-.27" ctc groups at 25y with center x. some of these aftermarket 10/22 barrels shoot awesome.

My MK II eats all match ammo very well. Especially Wolf Match Eley, Eley Subsonic and RWS.

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

rws.jpg

Faced with a similar dilemma recently (and seeing how my groups improved after putting a couple hundred downrange with a Marlin 25N that has a *shittay* trigger), I picked up a Mark II FV-SR today.

Put a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil on it, and whenever in April/May the group buy T4s are ready I should have a rimfire trainer very similar to my 10FP.

FWIW, my wife wanted a .22 for Christmas so Santa Husband brought her a 10/22 with pink Hogue stock and a Burris FFII 3-9x40.