• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MK II 22LR

Radar360

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2010
N. Tx
I purchased a Savage MkII 22LR a week or so ago. Nice little gun. It comes with an A5 looking stock (but I'm not sure who the manufacture of the stock actually is). Other than looks, the stock is cheap and I might be replacing it.

Anyway, I shot about 90 rounds the day after I purchased it and it function well.

Today, I took it out again and at about my 120th shot, the detachable magazine began to give me difficulties in inserting it back into the box.

Q1: for anyone who has one of these, have you experience any similar problems? if so, have you fixed it?

Q2: What scope do you use on these small rifles? I took off the Tasco or whatever it was that came with it (no name brand on it) and installed a Nikon Pro Staff. But to be honest, I really don't care for it either. What are you using on yours? What do you recommend?

It's only for fun 50 and 100 yards box range. Wife loves it but she kept telling me she couldn't see where she was hitting so I had to take out the spotting scope for her.

Re: Savage MK II 22LR

Boyds is the maker of the stock. I havent had any problems with mine. I started with a Simmons WTC before I switched it to a Nitrex TR2 4-20(Weaver Super Slam). I like the Nitrex but the closest focus is ~40yds.

Check out the rimfire section here first of all. Second the mkII is a good little rifle. I'm preferential To the Bushnell scopes.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like it. Sweet rifle and accuracy is there. I'll will check out the rim section also.

Still interested to hear if anyone else has had any problems with the DM. I cleaned it and it seems to be working a little better. Maybe it got crud in there or something. CCI's are usually clean rounds - who knows.

If it happens again, I'll dig deeper for the problem.

I have ~3000 rounds through mine and I've never had an issue.

I'm not convinced the OEM savage TR stock is a boyds. The aftermarket tacticool stock is different than the OEM one, though quite similar.

I have a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 on mine, with an EGW 20moa base..

Another thought...

The bottom metal on these is a thin stamping and it bends easily. Maybe yours is tweaked and disallowing the magazine from seating correctly.

A new, thicker bottom metal is available...search for it. I think a fella here on the hide makes some too.

Good luck.

Try a weaver grand slam tactical 3-10 available through midway USA. I have one on my kimber gov model 82 and like it very well!

If you are referring to the Savage mark 2 TRSR I was told by a local gun shop owner it is made by Bell and Carlson.

Thanks. I'll check the bottom metal. If someone knows who sells that after market bottom metal, please drop me a PM. I'd be very interested.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Let me see your rifle too. Post them here.

Thanks! I will order one of those and fix that bottom metal problems quickly.

I had one of these a while back only mine was the MK II BTV, but ended up selling it. That said, I never had any issues with the magazine, although I've heard of people having them. The only feeding issue I had was that when I used either Wolf or Federal match ammo or even CCI SV ammo, it had a lot of lube on it. It seemed like after 10 shots or so, the fired casings would start sticking in the chamber, and I'd have trouble getting them out. I assume this was from the lube building up inside the chamber. If I didn't shoot match ammo I didn't have this problem, but I didn't have the accuracy I wanted either. The only solution I found was to clean the chamber every 10 rounds or so. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or unique to mine, but it wasn't a huge deal.

As for the scope, I tried several scopes on mine. The first scope I used was the package deal Bushnell, and honestly this was the lousiest piece of crap scope I've ever used. I had someone offer me $40 and I sold it as fast as I could. It stayed zeroed, but it didn't track accurately at all, and the glass sucked.

Next I tried a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x. This was a decent scope, and tracked great, but I couldn't get it to focus much below 70 yards, so for this rifle that I shot a lot at 25-50 yards, it didn't work so well, so I sold this one too.

Then I tried a Center Point 4-16x40 from Walmart and this was by far the best scope I tried for this rifle. The glass wasn't the greatest on the higher powers, but it was fine for a .22. The power range imo was good for it, and it focused down to very close ranges. I can't remember how close it would focus, but it was extremely close. To my surprise this scope also tracked perfectly and seemed repeatable. I really liked this scope a lot for a .22, and I'd buy another one again. I kind of hated to get rid of it, but the guy that bought the rifle wanted it with it, so I let it go. He gave me an extra $60 for it, and they were only $70 new.

IMO that's the way to go. The other scope I wanted to try, was a buddy has a 8-32 Simmons target dot scope that's one of the older Japanese ones. I think it would have also been great on there, but he wanted to much for it, so I never bought it. After I sold that rifle, I had nothing else to use it on.

The Mark II's are good rifles, and I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Thanks for the post all. This is good information. I plan to order the bottom metal as suggested and I'll look for the scopes recommended.

I appreciate it!

I have the desert tan stock (think its a Dick sporting goods special). I made a new bottom plate out of 11ga 316 SS and then played with torquing the trigger until I found the sweet spot (11 in lbs) Installed an EGW 20 moa base with a Bushy 4200 10x fixed. I shoot out to 250 regularly and as long as I can control my coffee intake on any given day with no wind I can get very nice 2-3" groups @ 200.
my MKII likes Wolf match and federal 922a

I just ordered the bottom metal. Hopefully it will arrive in three / four days (early next week).

You guys are making me want another one of these. One of the big things I didn't like about mine was the thumbhole stock. I'm almost tempted to buy another one without the thumbhole stock, and I think I'd enjoy it a lot more.

Surprised nobody mentioned the Mueller APT scope for these little rifles.Not bad at all, both price and performance-wise.

So I've been reading how some guys here in the hide painted their rifles. This is my first attempt, using the Savage MkII, I'm happy how it turned out.

NtLum.jpg

Y76Fx.jpg

EbMIT.jpg

I haven't bedded it but plan to. Also, I'll be replacing the scope. I plan to check out all the ones recommended.

ummm, not sure why the barrel looks so grainy. I just rechecked the barrel and it isn't. I'm not a very good picture taker.